• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

Business lunch at a local restaurant. Meat loaf (they have very good meat loaf, and Monday is meat loaf day), glazed carrots, mashed potatoes, white beans. I would have liked green peas, but they weren't an option.

Another business lunch tomorrow. I always get to pick the place, so I picked another meat-and-three place where it'll be chicken-and-dressing day. I'll have that, lima beans, and mashed potatoes. Can't get those people to cook sweet potatoes on chicken and dressing day -- whassupwiddat?

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

DE2EB1C2-4AB4-4783-8834-F07EB843644C.thumb.jpeg.8db42c9364c36e3ed9c9d99e72ec9724.jpeg I was given a dozen beautiful farm fresh eggs. Apparently the chickens are better at laying eggs then I am at making a burrito. 

E2DCD42D-5E02-4783-AF7C-E9C45D3EE891.thumb.jpeg.b52d10c6c13dd0db1a13f9b0e9042d66.jpeg

Too much “in” not enough “out”. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 8
  • Haha 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N, I feel your pain.  I always overfill the darned tortilla, so my burritos end up being knife-and-fork food unless I want stuff dripping down to my elbow.

The "correct" amount of filling for a burrito just seems so...so...ungenerous when it's laid out on that flat tortilla!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

And once you are on the over filling  track is just keeps going.  You should see the gyros that I make!

They look like they were ejected from the Santorini volcano in Greece   Beats a skimpy little piece

of pita any day!

• Haha 5

Preparing for a late lunch later today of Wild Boar Salami with a very rich flavour offered to us with another fillet loin???? of Wild Boar. These came as a present with a slicing machine, a slicing knife and a knife sharpener.

Apparently, this is from a private licensed German forester and the Salami and fillet are not spiced but smoked with spices.

We will be enjoying the Salami with extra mature Cheddar Cheese, Beurre d'Isigny and the famous German bread ordered from the Bäcker and only available on order as part of the gift........don't ya love your friends gifts   :D

German WIld Boar Salami (sliced as the rest is still wet and hanging to dry and then freeze)

75xQmx6.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

DB89C4FD-3218-41B0-A089-53D5041EA412.thumb.jpeg.18118dedab3e25e2b43a3f54cd957521.jpeg

Pork tenderloin slathered with mustard, dried thyme, garlic powder and pepper then dredged in fresh breadcrumbs before being roasted and served on wilted spinach.  A tomato petal and basil salad on the side. (I was overcome by an attack of chefiness. No worries.  I’m pretty sure it has passed.)

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Egg salad (with bacon and grated cheese and dill pickles) on Ritz crackers, with a cup of ambrosia fruit salad. Hit the spot. May finish off with a dish of the banana pudding that's about to come out of the oven.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

44BF0544-2615-41E5-B80E-619FE900C62A.thumb.jpeg.8a62e240e9924d728d3a6999d41d7030.jpeg

(Canned) salmon salad in a pita. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

3F3C1084-8C5C-46F2-B502-5E4253CD54A5.thumb.jpeg.11425b6cb25ed24a9921ac704d1252b7.jpeg

Carrot, cashew and ginger soup made in the Instant Pot, grilled zucchini roll-ups with herbed cream cheese and basil leaves and three Triscuits. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Korean new year food.

Rice cake soup, dumpling soup and potato noodles with vegs.

KdxtU5E.jpg

h4w94Ff.jpg

A platter of stuff.

3cZYZIw.jpg

Based on this meal called Gujeolpan (platter of 9), like the photo in the book. I used chives, enoki mushrooms, daikon cress, shimeji mushrooms, Hokkaido squash, smoked tofu, salmon roe, chard ribs. Pancakes are in the middle. Fun to eat.

00XR2eL.jpg

• Like 11

day off today so a chance to make lunch at home...bought a fresh whole wheat Portuguese roll, pulled some of the stuffing out of it. Melted cheddar on the two inner surfaces, tuna on top, then sliced grape tomatoes. Was going to eat open faced, but decided to slam both halves back together to contain the tomato pieces. My kind of tuna melt (not a huge fan of mayo).

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Thanks, Captain and Scubadoo.

In Namibia and S.Africa they call it "spinach" (not perpetual spinach). What do they call spinach then, I wonder.

OBaVLsu.jpg

Also nice in cheesy dumplings. Don't forget there are more ways one can use the ribs.

InSCMHm.jpg

• Like 5

This morning, my best friend J called me to invite me to lunch at her home. Last night, she just came back from her home town where she always returns for the Chinese New Year - as do most Chinese people.

I was a bit surprised at the invite as we almost always eat out. I've only eaten once at her home before and that was pizza delivery. She loves her food, but isn't a cook.

Anyway, I'm always happy to see her, so off I went. Seven minutes walk maximum between our homes. When I arrived, I learned the secret. Her fiancé was also there, a lovely man and if it was him who was doing the cooking!

Here is the spread. Lunch for three.

5a8d14181b734_jlunch.thumb.jpg.4a289d20dd1c1cdcf0bc7d75085c65cd.jpg

12 o'clock is stir-fried spinach with garlic.

3 o'clock is braised pork with aged vinegar. (The pork was organic from her mother's pig. Ex-pig now.)

6 o'clock we have fish stewed in soy sauce. (The yellow things are undeveloped eggs from the chicken in the next dish).

9 o'clock is organic chicken with eryngi mushrooms (Pleurotus eryngii).

With rice. I took along a bottle of decent Italian as I know J likes " a draught of vintage ... ...a beaker full of the warm South". She had kindly bought me a bottle of beer, so I drank that and a happy lunch and happy mouths ensued.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto