• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

19B93DF6-3D6F-4FE7-A5D2-BC77653E0659.thumb.jpeg.23bafc5e9fe3b829acfa3abd2adf2087.jpeg

Homemade Jamaican patty, chutney and some of @HungryChris‘ marinated mushrooms. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, HungryChris said:

A little more of a good thing.

HC

IMG_2002.thumb.JPG.482f30710e2509e3ffd195382f8c947f.JPGIMG_2004.thumb.JPG.d85efa8ef3ca46fd727ec3486d5b3faf.JPG

Do you shred and dress a big portion of cabbage all at once, or do it as you make your sandwich?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

C7BAC1B4-E8D0-4D01-9032-913D8A4CAB96.thumb.jpeg.c27a3a948335a43b01d424fc5b269275.jpeg

this rather simple dish exceeded all my expectations in terms of taste and texture. It is based on a Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall  recipe from Hugh’s Three Good Things.  

In this case the three things were tomatoes, bread and eggs with the option of adding some mozzarella cheese and I decided to add some parsley. 

The tomatoes are seasoned and drizzled with olive oil before being roasted in the oven. While that is happening,  some day-old bread is torn into chunks and also tossed with oil and seasoning.  As the tomatoes begin to take on some colour the bread is tucked in among them so that part of it is soaking up tomato juice and part of it is becoming wonderfully crunchy. When things seem to be coming along nicely an egg is broken into the centre and the optional cheese added here and there. The egg I chose happened to be a double yolker and wouldn’t you know it? I broke both yolks. Cooking continues until the egg is done to one’s satisfaction. 

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

10 hours ago, kayb said:

Do you shred and dress a big portion of cabbage all at once, or do it as you make your sandwich?

Because I love the crunch of fresh cabbage, I slice it real thin on the meat slicer to order, dress it,

then use it on the sandwich. Cleaning the slicer is a minor issue, after slicing lettuce or cabbage.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 2

Battered hake pieces from the fishmonger. I ate half of it standing in front of the market stall, the rest was lunch the next day.

vFq0W1q.jpg

hUQyhuw.jpg

Made a bunch of confit yolks recently.

bhtQDDD.jpg

The seasoning: sesame oil, Korean chilli flakes, tamari.

SecjK2P.jpg

• Like 6

6B478588-CFC1-4492-B150-AC5C377EC2E8.thumb.jpeg.32d7044a90d1d596a87969e066cb121c.jpeg Store-bought Jamaican patty with a salad of little gem lettuce, Campari tomatoes, scallions, cucumber and Hickory Sticks. For the first time in decades I dressed it with a commercial dressing (bought for another application).   Back to homemade dressing next time. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Tuna salad sandwich made with Genova tuna, Best Foods mayo, minced celery and onion, Steinfeld's sweet pickle relish and white pepper served on honey whole wheat bread.

And an iced mug of red beer.

Yum.

• Like 1

Yesterday was a toasted ham and cheese; today was corned beef hash with hard scrambled egg.  

Gotta get off now - the husband has to check our investment accounts and then get on to do some buying as the stock market is adjusting,

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

598CFAA7-77ED-422D-9C43-7B1A94A229F0.thumb.jpeg.05878720918cf861441f7cabfdaa26a5.jpeg

Aloo gobi made in the mini Instant Pot. Recipe from Indian Instant Pot cookbook.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Exceptionally fresh sole from WF (on sale for 5.99 a pound) sautéed at low heat, served with cabbage and salsa verde.  Fillets are thin and delicate so I cut them in half prior to cooking to make transfer to the plate easier.

IMG_0466.thumb.JPG.d75d558903a851934d72d7d57a2d0d09.JPG.

• Like 6

@chefmd

C*Rap

Id put on a disguise 

to go to WF for 

"" Exceptionally fresh sole from WF ""

if the sale extends

consider stacking  two w a bread crumb mixture inbetween

then bake un tip the fish is Just Done

you can torch the top breadcrumbs is you like

a little dry white wine , some fresh finely chopped  bread crumbs  some garlic , not too much , a shallot or onion

the same  and of course some melted butter

it your herbs are  on the stinger side , use less

i like cilantro , flat leaf parsley 

don't like cilantro ?  not problem

just keep the herbs muted  so the Fish and hint of Wine shine through

the mistake would be to add too much Wine

the water in the wine would make the crumb mixture soggy !

• Like 2

I had some extra filling from the mini Jamaican beef patties I made as part of tonight's Super Bowl food. Dumping it on some tortilla chips, topping it with cheese and chopped green onions, baking it and eating with the habanero salsa I had in the fridge seemed like a good lunch plan. Jamaican nachos! Unfortunately, while not actually bad, it wasn't as tasty as it sounded in my head for some reason. Maybe my brain is in slow motion today and was expecting more conventional flavors. Anyway, it got rid of leftovers... that's always a good thing.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Had some farmers market fennel that needed to be used up so I made the Spaghetti with Spiced Sausage & Fennel Sauce from Diana Henry's Simple. 
IMG_7044.thumb.jpg.a20dda72c1a089bf58aa8e60a172c39e.jpg

Nothing fancy, but it hit the spot and the fennel is no more xD To paraphrase @Tri2Cook, getting rid of leftovers something in the crisper drawer is always a good thing!

• Like 8