• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

18 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Winter squash, white swan and butternut, drizzled with spiced butter and served with a small piece of pork belly.  Spiced butter inspired by Marcus Samuelsson.  

That looks really good! I've seen those white squashes at the farmers market but never purchased one so I didn't realize how light the flesh is compared with a regular green-skinned acorn squash.  How do they taste? 

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

How do they taste? 

This one was a gift. I’d have to say I did not find that it had much flavour at all. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

This one was a gift. I’d have to say I did not find that it had much flavour at all. 

Sounds sadly like the situation with many white flowers that lack the vigor and fragrance of their pigmented relatives.  Ah well.  Your move to combine it with other squashes was a wise choice.

My lunch was a crabmeat salad made with the artichoke mayonnaise from Six Seasons on a mini croissant (TJ's frozen, rise overnight & bake).  

IMG_6910.thumb.jpg.3bef88956262d8ef3a97ab47b294c5f0.jpg

Some chunks of avocado in there, too.  The sandwich was lovely but I am also most delighted with my new thrift shop oval plate!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 14

17 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

The sandwich was lovely but I am also most delighted with my new thrift shop oval plate!

Gorgeous!

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I have hundreds upon hundreds of recipes that I am anxious to try out. Today would’ve been a good day to choose one. Instead I got busy and found myself on the verge of starvation about lunchtime!  So I winged it once again. But I am so glad I did. This didn’t seem too promising but oh boy was it good.

E65450C7-AFCB-4154-8F6F-53D57490C45A.thumb.jpeg.e672bf72c695d5ccd47abb48457af84c.jpeg

I had some squash that I had roasted yesterday and some spiced butter that I had also made yesterday. I found two slices of homemade sourdough in my freezer. I slicked the bottom of a cast iron skillet with some of the spiced butter and put some colour on the bread. I smashed up some of the roasted squash and spooned it onto the bread. I then

dusted everything with some mild madras curry powder and stuck it all under the broiler just to heat it through.  

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

It's a cold and wet Tuesday.....

People like to put on some expensive perfumes for a unique scent.

Some would use incense.

and others would use rubs.

I prefer to bask in the unique fragrance of Iberico de Bellota......

1ktHqJl.jpg

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Have a cold an my sense of taste is a bit dulled. Working at home, seemed like a good day for sardines. Mashed a tin of drained oil packed fishies (skinless/boneless, I'm a wimp) with a squirt of dijon and a dash of onion powder and piled it on top of a lightly toasted whole wheat pocketless pita/flatbread. Go Omega 3's!

• Like 7

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I had one burger patty left over from last night's dinner and planned to have it for  breakfast, but an early morning call scuppered that plan, so it became lunch.

burger2.thumb.jpg.1cd7eb42c4b8b328aa2536be7f403c99.jpg

Nicely pink inside but also nicely charred on the outside.

burger1.thumb.jpg.a62db56ac9ad4ed9d53c84f0c646dc62.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

E67AC513-20D2-417A-8454-F41BC53AAEF6.thumb.jpeg.0a5821896e4d2f2bc7bdaabdf4e41e30.jpeg

Planned over roasted squash mashed  together with some caramelized onions and then drizzled with some spiced butter.  All of it topped by a crispy fried egg. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Thursday is away day with my better half and we went for a Turkish late meal......

- Starters to share: Crispy Manti with meat filling and a Mint Yoghurt (minus one scoffed by yours truly)

ZNyDmlB.jpg

- Mains:

Kebab patties on a bed of Aubergine puree and a toasted buttered bread to soak it all

AWVg4mr.jpg

The kitchen sink Beef cut slivers with bread and yogurt and Aubergine and Tomato sauce and the ubiquitous torched green Pepper

bdA0kjA.jpg

- Dessert was Kunafa filled with cheese and Blueberries with a scoop of Ice Cream in a mini cone for no reason

z7EPLi4.jpg

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Having a hard time mustering the enthusiasm to eat, as I have a cold that has affected my sense of taste. I only seem to taste salt. Lunch from Whole Foods (carrot/ginger soup and veggie salads) I more or less just picked for nutrition/texture.

• Sad 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

-4 Celcius but snowy day. Made Keto- Tuncan Zupper the other day. Reheated a couple of bowls for brunch today, topped with poached egg,  Kraft Habanero Cheddar cheese, and fresh mint.
                                                                             5a6b947d38626_ZuppaandPoachedEgg2346.jpg.e9be9dca933fc4be1d9f5320f986a626.jpg

• Like 7

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I love cabbage shredded like that and dressed with oil and vinegar on a sandwich. Most any sandwich. And on a taco.

One of the best tacos I ever had was a fish taco out in San Diego at a place called Rubio's. It too had finely shredded cabbage. I had forgotten all about that. I'll have to try making them. Thanks @kayb!

HC

There's nothing anyone can say or do to make me eat rice or kimchi now.

Simply fried potatoes with Speck and Brussels sprouts.

jsRxwtx.jpg

Maatjes herring and North Sea shrimp (Crangon crangon).

mhWC5qN.jpg

The 2 lumps are potatoes and some beetroot peel cooked together.

61NlR6U.jpg

Leftover smoked sausage and potatoes. Green shreds are chard.

RFgmAcx.jpg

Pseudo "Bun Rieu" noodle soup with leftover prawns. SV confit yolk at 64C, 45mins.

VA3HB4J.jpg

• Like 6

noodles.thumb.jpg.b70cb9b140e3726841c5cb84fd7dce2d.jpg

Soup noodles. Fresh ramen noodles (拉面 lā miàn) in a pork bone broth with pork, mushrooms, spinach, green onion, chilli, garlic and ginger. Finished with some chilli oil, Sichuan peppercorn oil and white pepper.

Hot and spicy for a cold day.

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto