• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

56 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Those look like very desirable small clams. Big ones are easy to find here, little ones, not so much.

Generally,  I prefer the smaller ones, given the choice. Sweeter without being sweet, if you know what I mean.

MY neighbours won't forgive me though. They are all convinced that clams may only be eaten with mustard greens in soup or they well spend eternities in hell, if they are lucky!

• Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Thanks for the trivia.  Art was good but age has taken its toll on his sweet voice yet he did great all things considered.     Small intimate theater was a nice venue 

He is actually a cousin of a friend of mine, Both Art and Louis Perlman.  The boys from the Bronx 

More trivia: my sister used to go out with Art Garfunkle's cousin, I think his name was Sandy. Looked like him, too. Tall, thin, blond afro. This is back in the late sixties, I guess. (We were the girls from the Bronx.) Sorry to interrupt lunch. 

Edited by cakewalk
Lunch, not dinner. (log)

11FA9B5B-6E68-4B8A-970A-2380DF89CF57.thumb.jpeg.0639c171f4bb880810ae963a0b593a12.jpeg

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Bimbimbap with beef tartare.

cnnXhVx.jpg

Two plates of lettuce, both with Korean dressings.

185mWA9.jpg

Everyone was slurping this beef rib soup.

ojUOBYq.jpg

I tried 1 of these later. Fillings are in the containers in right corner.

X6fP7MG.jpg

Vienna is capital of all things breaded and deep-fried, Korea is capital of all things deep-fried (probably).

Y1gvlLA.jpg

gboKCbA.jpg

1G2ryyT.jpg

Chewy dough filled with sweet potato noodles, onions and scallions. There's also a kimchi version.

yvzc5rm.jpg

• Like 8

Lunch at the market.

QhpeTMN.jpg

"Sausage" filled with rice, blood (and noodles?).

CVHrzg5.jpg

Hot broth in a paper cup and salty shrimp sauce for dipping.

J9GepWT.jpg

The stall.

blYQmS0.jpg

1ajAqgy.jpg

Chicken feet, instestine stew, blood sausages.

GpDkj3F.jpg

epJhZzL.jpg

Koreans laugh in the face of winter! Even food stall benches have heating. Outside it's cold, inside everywhere it's boiling hot. Blasting heat comes from under the metro seats, floor heating in the house or room is on full blast night and day.

VG9dD8o.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 10

48006A83-4D7D-4373-BDFD-1F43B0E5B090.thumb.jpeg.d237beb8f5fe0ae7382b72adb5d1edb6.jpeg

Instant Pot rice pudding with lots and lots (too many) raisins.  Aiming to re-create food memory. This didn’t do it. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Low Carb Crispy Calamari- coated with Almond Meal. 

Doubt I'll make it again. While I am not a fan of squid, and the boys said it was good, it strikes me as one of those foods to be left for when you inevitably fail your diet :). Some things just cannot be substituted! 

20180115_190935.thumb.jpg.75b96487bd6653e3384a2b9347074a83.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

DIY lunch at the meat market.

XxA76O1.jpg

Sirloin and chuck flap tail.

byRDT41.jpg

NuWqM8i.jpg

Half way through now.

taArEPn.jpg

Couldn't take anymore garlic unless I could grill it.

QfWsDDF.jpg

Nice soya bean and tofu soup with "brisket point" (see menu above).

nQnOwBe.jpg

I'm a slow eater. Everyone is long gone.

qc8xWiF.jpg

• Like 11

5 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Low Carb Crispy Calamari- coated with Almond Meal. 

Doubt I'll make it again. While I am not a fan of squid, and the boys said it was good, it strikes me as one of those foods to be left for when you inevitably fail your diet :). Some things just cannot be substituted! 

20180115_190935.thumb.jpg.75b96487bd6653e3384a2b9347074a83.jpg

Nice shot!

• Thanks 1

@HungryChris

i must say

your Sandwiches

are the best Ive seen.

Im glad you satisfied your Zook urges earlier

no matter

thanks as I don't see Mortadella there

Im not going to be Tossing and Turning All Night !

have you ever used the Micro to heat up your ' Meats ' w some cheese on top that melts ?

a dangerous path to go down

Ill say

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris

have you ever used the Micro to heat up your ' Meats ' w some cheese on top that melts ?

a dangerous path to go down

Ill say

To be honest, I find it challenging to pan fry a hot sandwich so that everything inside is hot and melty at the very same time the outside is golden and have worked so hard and long at getting that right, I think of the mike as cheating.

HC

@HungryChris

nope

a different idea :

same bread and etc.

just take you Meats , add the chezze if your using it

stack in on a plate in the mico

until the chezze just melts

then you spatula out that on to your pre-prepaird sandwich

an advanced technique   

would be at just the point the chezze is just melted

Its Advancee to torch the chezze just a bit

how is your Health Insurance ?

Comprehensive ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

E921D5F9-8717-4D77-B0D4-E3ED8F8FE64C.thumb.jpeg.5052b9a7b4b44994af90b80663efaeb5.jpeg

Winter squash, white swan and butternut, drizzled with spiced butter and served with a small piece of pork belly.  Spiced butter inspired by Marcus Samuelsson.  

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog