• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2018)

BonVivant

There are many restaurants at the market and this is one of them where I had rice soup with pork, a lot of it. (Took me quite some time to remove most of the scallions.)

XGE9hPm.jpg

An employee gestured these tiny fermented, salted shrimp should be added to the soup and I did. Notice the round chopsticks? Well, they do exist, just not as prevalent as the flat ones. Still it's easier for me to spear my food with any type of chopsticks.

Hpkbupt.jpg

Restaurant looks much bigger from outside. Also, it's quite common to see many male pensioners who eat alone.

SlHJ89r.jpg

This meat goes in the soup.

tks1Jwf.jpg

Kitchen is outside.

YYLSmjD.jpg

Broth is being cooked.

2OxEJav.jpg

Everything that goes in the soup comes from this:

fh1BU1H.jpg

• Like 14

Saw this creature in Hokkaido, Japan and now I finally tried it. First photo is live ones in water.

4NhcvTp.jpg

Innards removed and served raw. It's like eating a live toad. The exterior is tough, the interior is jelly-like. Has a strong iodine smell. I had something similar in Chile but it's the dried version and no blob (look up Pyura chilensis).PlwG1tR.jpg

It could also be eaten briefly steamed.

lFetKre.jpg

Ate 1 oyster with Gochujang, the rest the way I like it, plain.

xSANcPw.jpg

Blood cockles are usually big here.

CAEcBLZ.jpg

Sashimi because you are in Busan to eat fresh seafood.

4moM26q.jpg

Seaweed soup with bones and bits leftover from your fish.

InKjbXZ.jpg

Fishmonger's stall is directly in front of my table. You select what you want to eat and they prepare it for you behind the stall.

uFBgg5S.jpg

First the booze. Korean pensioners at the next table.

zyZqUON.jpg

• Like 10

5714994A-CDDE-43DB-9B02-C256D7146C91.thumb.jpeg.d093ea2859cb278a792cb98c05fab1d5.jpeg

Supplemented instant noodles. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Raw Brussels Sprouts with Lemon, Anchovy, Walnuts & Pecorino from Six Seasons

IMG_6674.thumb.jpg.808251936bb194169cf3289d6ba6dc83.jpg

And I kicked up a serving of yesterday's potato & leek soup by blending in a big spoonful of the vinegary, garlicky, spicy, horseradish-y Cocktail Tomatoes from Deep Run Roots.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Raw Brussels Sprouts with Lemon, Anchovy, Walnuts & Pecorino from Six Seasons

Strangely, I have no issue with raw cabbage but I can’t seem to get my head around raw Brussel sprouts. But your meal looks good and your soup is certainly creative. I seem to be falling behind in terms of creativeness in the kitchen.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Strangely, I have no issue with raw cabbage but I can’t seem to get my head around raw Brussel sprouts. But your meal looks good and your soup is certainly creative. I seem to be falling behind in terms of creativeness in the kitchen.

The nice thing about sprout salads is that they are such good keepers.  Yesterday, I had to dispose of 2 bags of sad green slime that never got a chance to become salads from the bottom of the vegetable drawer while the sprouts were still perky as ever!

And I would disagree with respect to your creativity - you seem to have been pouring quite a bit of it into the Modernist Breads lately,  while still posting a variety of interesting meals.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Sliced thin they are quite good.  Needs  a good dressing 

• Like 1

I enjoy eating at cheap, homely restaurants and good thing they are common here. All it takes is to walk inside and see what the people are eating. Not all places have photos of the food. And forget for a moment you are a clean freak and perfectionist. (FYI, I haven't gotten sick yet in my 10 days here in Busan)

pKuxMMj.jpg

The set-up here is first you have to walk through the kitchen to get to the table.

mtlUvbm.jpg

The view from where I sat. Don't think I've seen men in the kitchen. A son or husband who brings food and clears the tables but never actually does the cooking.

JUTiVgI.jpg

My filling and satisfying meal for 4 euros. Contains no meat, the delicious sauce has fermented fish in it.

asvSV86.jpg

I was looking around to see how Koreans eat this meal and an elderly customer at the next table showed me how it's done. Dump the side dishes over the rice and mix everything up really well. That's why the rice bowl is big. It's mostly barley with some rice, and barley broth in a separate bowl to wash everything down with. They bring you another bowl of barley broth when you finish the first.

Well, I prefer not to carelessly dump the side dishes on top of the rice.

89uv46j.jpg

• Like 10

Just finished the driveway with the snow blower, a job that is greatly simplified with a garage. I estimate the snow to be about a foot deep and very heavy. My hands were so cold they ached when I was done, but as I was finishing up I had a vision for lunch that motivated me. Toasted rye, cream cheese, smoked salmon, pickled onions and capers and a bit of Scandinavian cheer from the freezer.

HC

IMG_1714.thumb.JPG.194a782083d6144b26ec858a9842a3b7.JPG

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

and a bit of Scandinavian cheer from the freezer.

My Danish father-in-law considered it a fine motivator and rarely started a day without at least one. He was happy to take it straight up from the freezer or in a Danish coffee:

“Here’s a recipe from the artist, the kiteflier, the man, the Dane, who was Jørgen Møller Hansen.

Jørgen explained the formula for the Kaffe-punch; place a kroner in the cup, add coffee until you can’t see the coin, then add schnapps until you can see the coin again.”

Quoted from here.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On the left, we have Oeufs à la Bourguignonne inspired by Mastering the Art of French Cooking but using leftover Mushroom Bourguignon from a different book. On the right is the Turnip Salad with Yogurt, Herbs & Poppy Seeds from Six Seasons.

IMG_6695.thumb.jpg.8bdd9f726fee8a022a708f96a92febf7.jpg

This did not turn out to be my favorite turnip salad nor a particularly good pairing with the oeufs but I very much like the idea of slicing the turnips vertically so you get a bit of stem on a lot of the pieces and soaking them in ice water to crisp them up.  So I learned something, and that's good. 

• Like 9

41C29C88-940D-41AF-926E-37CBBB6BD500.thumb.jpeg.2582b705bc3df15db13af9c8ec199823.jpeg

A rare indulgence — take-out pizza. Not because I’m virtuous but because nobody around here makes a decent pizza.   This was mere fodder after an appointment that segued into an unplanned shopping trip which left me quite desperate to refuel. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

How's this for a summery feel?  It almost makes you forget how cold it was this week.  Spotted these tomatoes at the farmer's market this morning and bought four varieties at $5\lb.   Quite tasty and worth the price alone for the beautiful colors.  The deep green colored tomato is fully ripe.  It's my first time to come across them.

P1060451rs.thumb.jpg.ee85d663158b0eab2dfa1277c089b7c4.jpg

• Like 10

E8F0756A-E908-44F1-9F3A-CDEEF249219D.thumb.jpeg.23a688d156ebf9b821e998c896b535b8.jpeg

Small piece of shoulder of pork done in the Instant Pot served with some pork crackling which I did in the oven. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

For lunch yesterday, we went to a diner in Daly City.

DSC04120.thumb.JPG.212eb7cab42a02cd0480380d564571c2.JPG

It looks like a repurposed Howard Johnson's...

DSC04122.thumb.JPG.3247d2870dcb3c35bb3e28fc23fcb062.JPG

DSC04123.thumb.JPG.d87844f252e55c574f1189ae5d8d924a.JPG

DSC04124.thumb.JPG.030b657d162e249b7375b545a05c5016.JPG

DSC04125.thumb.JPG.b8fd18d2a7bc9b97aa12e411df01847f.JPG

This part of the restaurant was a lounge set off from the main dining area and had one saving grace - no kids!

DSC04129.thumb.JPG.5123e37d66c1e8264be71477b04accc4.JPG

I had: a burger (medium-rare, with lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup), pickle and fries on the side, coleslaw and a chocolate shake.

Coleslaw was pretty good. I haven't had good luck finding places that serve acceptable versions so when I do eat at a place that does, it's a cause for celebration.

Would definitely return too.

• Like 7

On 1/3/2018 at 5:43 PM, Anna N said:

All raw sprouts need is a dressing with some bacon fat

• Like 2

Finished up the last of some gifted Ethiopian food made by a wonderful home cook. Lentils, split yellow peas, spicy chicken and hard boiled eggs,  cabbage and carrot saute, fresh buttermilk cheese, and this injera. She does a long ferment on her batter so it is quite sour. A new for me very enjoyable taste experience. 

IMG_0455.JPG

• Like 7

5 hours ago, gfweb said:

All raw sprouts need is a dressing with some bacon fat

Such a shame to waste bacon fat on Brussels sprouts. xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

@heidih

Quite jealous. Love injera. Time to revisit our Ethiopian restaurant. 

My 2004 eG Blog