• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

Here, they are written about and listed on menus as if they are the same thing. These are dark brown to black. So, I take it they are wood, or tree ears. I always wondered where the cloud ear term came from. In either respect, it must be the texture that puts them on the table, as they, like you say, have no flavor, but I do enjoy them in combination with the ramen, broth and other vegetables.

HC 

Right. The clouds are "cloud-like" but westerners tend to lump. I find the tree ears essential inKorean chap chae and enjoy them in Vietnamese cha gio (fried Spring rolls if you will)

heidih

heidih

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

Here, they are written about and listed on menus as if they are the same thing. These are dark brown to black. So, I take it they are wood, or tree ears. I always wondered where the cloud ear term came from. In either respect, it must be the texture that puts them on the table, as they, like you say, have no flavor, but I do enjoy them in combination with the ramen, broth and other vegetables.

HC 

Right. The clouds are "cloud-like" but westerners tendmto lump. I find the tree ears essemtial in chap chae