• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

scubadoo97

scubadoo97

42 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks!  The nicely colored yolks are probably due to whatever my nice farmers market people feed their hens.   They pasture them in an organic orange grove so I suspect they are happy chickens!

I have found  these 2 methods give comparable results with large eggs.  

Boiling: Direct from the fridge into boiling water for 6.5 minutes, then into ice water.

Steaming: Direct from the fridge into a steamer insert (~1 inch of water already boiling) and steam for 8 min, then into ice water.

Steaming is quicker because I only need to boil a little water vs a whole pot.

Not just the color which is gorgeous but the texture of the yolks looks amazing

edited to add I like your whole though process for the dish.   I do similar things.   "This looks good and would work, toss it in".  

scubadoo97

scubadoo97

39 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Thanks!  The nicely colored yolks are probably due to whatever my nice farmers market people feed their hens.   They pasture them in an organic orange grove so I suspect they are happy chickens!

I have found  these 2 methods give comparable results with large eggs.  

Boiling: Direct from the fridge into boiling water for 6.5 minutes, then into ice water.

Steaming: Direct from the fridge into a steamer insert (~1 inch of water already boiling) and steam for 8 min, then into ice water.

Steaming is quicker because I only need to boil a little water vs a whole pot.

Not just the color which is gorgeous but the texture of the yolks looks amazing