• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

This morning, my best friend J called me to invite me to lunch at her home. Last night, she just came back from her home town where she always returns for the Chinese New Year - as do most Chinese people.

I was a bit surprised at the invite as we almost always eat out. I've only eaten once at her home before and that was pizza delivery. She loves her food, but isn't a cook.

Anyway, I'm always happy to see her, so off I went. Seven minutes walk maximum between our homes. When I arrived, I learned the secret. Her fiancé was also there, a lovely man and if it was him who was doing the cooking!

Here is the spread. Lunch for three.

5a8d14181b734_jlunch.thumb.jpg.4a289d20dd1c1cdcf0bc7d75085c65cd.jpg

12 o'clock is stir-fried spinach with garlic.

3 o'clock is braised pork with aged vinegar. (The pork was organic from her mother's pig. Ex-pig now.)

6 o'clock we have fish stewed in soy sauce. (The yellow things are undeveloped eggs from the chicken in the next dish).

9 o'clock is organic chicken with eryngi mushrooms (Pleurotus eryngii).

With rice. I took along a bottle of decent Italian as I know J likes " a draught of vintage ... ...a beaker full of the warm South". She had kindly bought me a bottle of beer, so I drank that and a happy lunch and happy mouths ensued.

liuzhou

liuzhou

This morning, my best friend J called me to invite me to lunch at her home. Last night, she just came back from her home town where she always returns for the Chinese New Year - as do most Chinese people.

I was a bit surprised at the invite as we almost always eat out. I've only eaten once at her home before and that was pizza delivery. She loves her food, but isn't a cook.

Anyway, I'm always happy to see her, so off I went. When I arrived, I learned the secret. Her fiancé was also there, a lovely man and if it was him who was doing the cooking!

3 o'clock is braised pork with aged vinegar. (The pork was organic from her mother's pig. Ex-pig now.)

6 o'clock we have fish stewed in soy sauce. (The yellow things are undeveloped eggs from the chicken in the next dish).

With rice. I took along a bottle of decent Italian as I know J likes " a draught of vintage ... ...a beaker full of the warm South". She had kindly bought me a bottle of beer, so I drank that and a happy lunch and happy mouths ensued.

liuzhou

liuzhou

This morning, my best friend J called me to invite me lunch at her home. Last night, she just came backfrom her hometown where she always returns for the Chinese New Year - as do most Chinese people.

Anyway, I'm always happy to see her, so off I went. When I arrived, I learned the secret. Her fiancé was also there, a lovely man and if it was him who was doing the cooking!