• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

This morning, my best friend J called me to invite me to lunch at her home. Last night, she just came back from her home town where she always returns for the Chinese New Year - as do most Chinese people.

I was a bit surprised at the invite as we almost always eat out. I've only eaten once at her home before and that was pizza delivery. She loves her food, but isn't a cook.

Anyway, I'm always happy to see her, so off I went. Seven minutes walk maximum between our homes. When I arrived, I learned the secret. Her fiancé was also there, a lovely man and if it was him who was doing the cooking!

Here is the spread. Lunch for three.

5a8d14181b734_jlunch.thumb.jpg.4a289d20dd1c1cdcf0bc7d75085c65cd.jpg

12 o'clock is stir-fried spinach with garlic.

3 o'clock is braised pork with aged vinegar. (The pork was organic from her mother's pig. Ex-pig now.)

6 o'clock we have fish stewed in soy sauce. (The yellow things are undeveloped eggs from the chicken in the next dish).

9 o'clock is organic chicken with eryngi mushrooms (Pleurotus eryngii).

With rice. I took along a bottle of decent Italian as I know J likes " a draught of vintage ... ...a beaker full of the warm South". She had kindly bought me a bottle of beer, so I drank that and a happy lunch and happy mouths ensued.

liuzhou

liuzhou

This morning, my best friend J called me to invite me to lunch at her home. Last night, she just came back from her home town where she always returns for the Chinese New Year - as do most Chinese people.

I was a bit surprised at the invite as we almost always eat out. I've only eaten once at her home before and that was pizza delivery. She loves her food, but isn't a cook.

Anyway, I'm always happy to see her, so off I went. When I arrived, I learned the secret. Her fiancé was also there, a lovely man and if it was him who was doing the cooking!

3 o'clock is braised pork with aged vinegar. (The pork was organic from her mother's pig. Ex-pig now.)

6 o'clock we have fish stewed in soy sauce. (The yellow things are undeveloped eggs from the chicken in the next dish).

With rice. I took along a bottle of decent Italian as I know J likes " a draught of vintage ... ...a beaker full of the warm South". She had kindly bought me a bottle of beer, so I drank that and a happy lunch and happy mouths ensued.

liuzhou

liuzhou

This morning, my best friend J called me to invite me lunch at her home. Last night, she just came backfrom her hometown where she always returns for the Chinese New Year - as do most Chinese people.

Anyway, I'm always happy to see her, so off I went. When I arrived, I learned the secret. Her fiancé was also there, a lovely man and if it was him who was doing the cooking!