Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

chefmd

Breakfast! 2018

Recommended Posts

F79DB03F-8968-4B2B-92D8-7F99056FB1E5.thumb.jpeg.e0ce4231d1328b1ec0fa52e841706ff8.jpeg

 

 A slice of this pork belly made it into this :

 

73BADAA4-B227-4148-9C91-92F502B4C175.thumb.jpeg.d3844a76efa5af03ddf005c259cd8f6e.jpeg

 

 Hash with potatoes, pork belly, 

leftover caramelized onions and an egg. 

  • Like 9
  • Delicious 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Anna N said:

F79DB03F-8968-4B2B-92D8-7F99056FB1E5.thumb.jpeg.e0ce4231d1328b1ec0fa52e841706ff8.jpeg

 

 A slice of this pork belly made it into this :

 

73BADAA4-B227-4148-9C91-92F502B4C175.thumb.jpeg.d3844a76efa5af03ddf005c259cd8f6e.jpeg

 

 Hash with potatoes, pork belly, 

leftover caramelized onions and an egg. 

I would like this multiple times if I was allowed to.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2018 at 7:59 AM, rotuts said:

Brk.thumb.jpg.cfc7cef221dba9233d1ae43dc37f8772.jpg

 

remarkable breakfast :

 

a left over baked potato ( CSO  450 SB  until very crispy )  cut in 1/2 , butter , green onion , slice of SV Beef , rare

 

this was made the night before , then cooled and refrigerated as a left-over.  No Worries I had a few for dinner !

 

micro from refrig 45 seconds

 

I was surprised how good this was. potato skin was not crisp of course , but had fine flavor.  potato very fluffy.

 

from now on , Im always going to fill up the CSO w russets so I can make a few of these for the days to come.

 

a little fresh green onion will be nice here.

 

FYI...a poached egg inside that baked potato would be a fine thing. Just saying.

 

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

 A slice of this pork belly made it into this :

 

73BADAA4-B227-4148-9C91-92F502B4C175.thumb.jpeg.d3844a76efa5af03ddf005c259cd8f6e.jpeg

 

 Hash with potatoes, pork belly, 

leftover caramelized onions and an egg. 

 

Oh, dear sweet baby Jesus. Just kill me now. I WANT that.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mixed up a shrimp salad using the artichoke mayonnaise from Six Seasons and put it on some little whole grain toasts

IMG_6898.thumb.jpg.0ca947377e3591ac0b25e82a1311af99.jpg

I was bemoaning the fact that I didn't have a croissant ready for this but the crunchy toast turned out to be a good partner. 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@blue_dolphin

 

 What a great way to use that mayonnaise. I have all the ingredients now but I don’t think it’s going to get made. I think I bit off more than I can honestly chew so it will have to wait for another day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Anna N said:

@blue_dolphin

 

 What a great way to use that mayonnaise. I have all the ingredients now but I don’t think it’s going to get made. I think I bit off more than I can honestly chew so it will have to wait for another day. 

Thank you!  I was quite pleased with myself for thinking of it before the mayo went off entirely!   It would probably make a nice chicken salad, too, but it absolutely shines with seafood, especially since I added extra lemon juice.  I may try crab next....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

D18D5827-4E10-4F48-AF74-8DA6EFEE6C53.thumb.jpeg.2e88af08bab3794a87436c92b36c40f7.jpeg

 

Leftover pork belly and leftover caramelized onions re-heated briefly in the CSO (Cuisinart steam oven) and served on home-made bread. 

 

 It occurred to me as I assembled and then ate this that caramelized onions might be the best condiment one could keep on hand.  They perk up just about anything savoury.  I am quite sure many others have reached the same conclusion many times over. :)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frittata like dish with ham and roasted cauliflower.  I made it thin for my preferred meat/veg/eggs ratio.

 

IMG_0445.thumb.JPG.f7cf7ece9dec7f1ba74711fda55d4f32.JPG

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Anna N said:

D18D5827-4E10-4F48-AF74-8DA6EFEE6C53.thumb.jpeg.2e88af08bab3794a87436c92b36c40f7.jpeg

 

Leftover pork belly and leftover caramelized onions re-heated briefly in the CSO (Cuisinart steam oven) and served on home-made bread. 

 

 It occurred to me as I assembled and then ate this that caramelized onions might be the best condiment one could keep on hand.  They perk up just about anything savoury.  I am quite sure many others have reached the same conclusion many times over. :)

 

Before my daughter the super-smeller moved in with me and limited some of the cooking I can do, I used to caramelize a five-pound bag of onions at a time. I'd slice them, pack them in the Crockpot, sprinkle a little salt, and lay a stick of butter on top, and let them cook for 18 hours on low. Perfect caramelized onions. I'd put them in one-cup portions in plastic bags and freeze them, and pull them out for whatever dish I wanted. It was wonderful to be able to make French onion soup without having to caramelize the onions, among other things.

 

I can tell you that this procedure, if you start your onions shortly after dinner, will result in a VERY pungent house about 3 a.m. Just sayin'.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kayb said:

I can tell you that this procedure, if you start your onions shortly after dinner, will result in a VERY pungent house about 3 a.m. Just sayin'.

 I did try that once but I was not happy with the results. Might’ve been operator error. Might’ve been crockpot error.  Might just have been different strokes for different folks. But in the end I decided that I liked the long, slow, pay attention  stove top method better.  But thanks all the same for sharing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DSC04495-001.JPG.e10c1886d630e971309ef4e4ece4b089.JPG

 

DSC04499-001.JPG.544649c2682eda04d0e10b4a4731a891.JPG

 

DSC04506-001.JPG.8afe48cdf60ab03a8c12706df07f8cc6.JPG

 

DSC04515-001.JPG.bc7f683404265ffb0cde855489a5a520.JPG

 

Omelette (2 eggs, salt, black pepper, 1 tbsp. water; cooked in a hot pan with melted butter)

Fried potatoes with turnip greens and onion (potatoes, onion, turnip greens, salt, black pepper, duck fat)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breakfast was a couple pieces of beef jerky and coffee before a 6 mile walk around the neighborhood.  Not inspiring but truthful.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Breakfast was a couple pieces of beef jerky and coffee before a 6 mile walk around the neighborhood.  Not inspiring but truthful.  

 

The coffee and 6 mile walk are inspiring to me!  Beef jerky....not so much xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lunch was about the same plus a couple of barrel aged  Old Fashioneds and  jamming lead to Tom Petty on my guitar.  God I miss him so much.  Sorry if off topic. 

 

Tomorrow will be fried eggs on toast for breakfast 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chicken stock with shallots, chilli, ground white pepper. Leftover beef. Quail eggs. Baby Bok Choy. Rice Noodles.

 

noodles.thumb.jpg.e0fe6aa0e1ebefdc8342d14c3326352b.jpg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Anna N said:

 I did try that once but I was not happy with the results. Might’ve been operator error. Might’ve been crockpot error.  Might just have been different strokes for different folks. But in the end I decided that I liked the long, slow, pay attention  stove top method better.  But thanks all the same for sharing. 

An open roasting pan in the oven is a nice compromise between the two techniques. I've done it at 350 F but apparently it works at a pretty wide range of other temperatures. You don't have the risk of scorching that comes with a moment's ill-timed inattention on the stovetop, and you don't get the oddly mushy texture of the onions from a crock pot. Just stir 'em every 30 minutes at the start, shortening to 10-15 minutes as they get closer to done. I found it easier, and it left me time to do other things in between stirs. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

D15081F8-43D8-4F79-BFF4-6D011A7B5D72.thumb.jpeg.c3e6b6de82ef3482ced67da1ae6fb14a.jpeg

 

Salad.  It’s not just for lunch. 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fried egg on toast.  Used the technique of adding a couple drops of water and covering to finish the egg as opposed to flipping.  My wife hates any uncooked white.   Works well

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/01/2018 at 6:09 AM, Anna N said:

F79DB03F-8968-4B2B-92D8-7F99056FB1E5.thumb.jpeg.e0ce4231d1328b1ec0fa52e841706ff8.jpeg

Oh My!!! look at the crackins.  My favourite.

5a661814cca99_TomatoChickenRiceSoupJanuary22nd2018.thumb.jpg.440c788fd31a9035238b5af38482fa40.jpg

Bowl of soup for breakfast. 

 

5a6618037a3e9_BatardJanuary21st20184.thumb.jpg.4936a060c8ee8e9d537abe41f8f36f35.jpg

With toast. From this little Batard baked last night in the CSO.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Throwback breakfast. Biscuits, bacon, sorghum molasses creamed with a pat or two of butter. To have been historically accurate, should have been accompanied by scrambled eggs and a dish of canned tomatoes, but I wasn't in the notion for that.

 

And it seems I managed to turn on some goofy filter on the cell phone camera, too.20180122_082343.thumb.jpg.f2ad05d41acb3769f6f9de8c830b676b.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

45E310C3-59DA-4D8B-8393-FE5193CE8933.thumb.jpeg.b334164b9cbb07450a296b1beac142b2.jpeg

 

Used up leftovers from last night’s dinner ~ Grilled Chicken Thigh Meat and Fried Rice - reheated in my cast iron skillet in a little duck fat.

 

4FFFBD98-8BE2-4F77-AA22-93EB5A717A9A.thumb.jpeg.9b5145f50bdc4880071a62f2b7ddcaf8.jpeg

 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just love all the non traditional breakfast foods being posted 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/01/2018 at 1:00 PM, kayb said:

Throwback breakfast. Biscuits, bacon, sorghum molasses creamed with a pat or two of butter. To have been historically accurate, should have been accompanied by scrambled eggs and a dish of canned tomatoes, but I wasn't in the notion for that.

 

And it seems I managed to turn on some goofy filter on the cell phone camera, too.20180122_082343.thumb.jpg.f2ad05d41acb3769f6f9de8c830b676b.jpg

It's an interesting effect, like mouldy spinach doused in Pepto-Bismol. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like, @kayb, I will occasionally take the time to do a huge slow cooker batch of caramelized onions.  I pack them into small containers and freeze.  What a luxury it is knowing that I have already prepared onions to add to anything I like.

 

We had a guest this weekend.  Saturday breakfast:

DSCN7904.JPG.1dc944576767eafeaa488ade7a518118.JPG

Panettone French toast, country ham and eggs.

 

For Sunday brunch, I made Breakfast Pockets:

DSCN7907.JPG.3818f10130acfeb978152a8491fafb63.JPG

 

Whomp biscuit crusts with a filling of sausage, cheese, hashbrowns and eggs:

DSCN7908.JPG.ea9b080d63f39b470b0821fbe709f13b.JPG

 

Candied bacon:

DSCN7906.JPG.0611a6cc02b131e0a2588a45b808150d.JPG

 

And some doughnuts from our favorite place:

DSCN7905.JPG.70a44ebf726a0aac7c72bd18875ad1e5.JPG

  • Like 8
  • Delicious 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×