Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

chefmd

Breakfast! 2018

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

This is something that I've always wondered about.  I find a huge difference between the "American" cheese that is wrapped in plastic and the kind that is not - either from the deli or what Kraft calls "Deli Deluxe".  I detest the first and find everyone's condemnation warranted.  But I like the latter and use it a lot.  Anyone else want to chime in on this?

 

I'm with you Kim. I hate American cheese food product but love real American cheese. Land O Lakes is good, but the Food Lion carries a Fresh Deli brand that is cheaper and very good too in white and yellow varieties. A must for queso dip and also makes a creamy stovetop mac and cheese.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

 Anyone else want to chime in on this?

 

I am probably not the brand of people you wanted to chime in (i.e I'm English flavoured) but I do agree, I have purchased 'American Cheese' from Cost Co that was much nicer  (and actually melted) - and yes while it was pre-sliced it was not individually wrapped. I think Aldi just got it wrong on this occasion!! I meant no disrespect to American Cheese - It's not in my nature. Cheese = Life. 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@CantCookStillTry,

 

You can still keep your Cheese=Life philosophy. That plastic style cheese, at least in this country, is not even legally allowed to be called cheese. It is designated as "cheese food product", because it is NOT cheese. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Duvel said:

 

Sometimes I am simply speechless what the convenience sector comes up with (and people actually buy) ...

Why speechless?  My husband has just a few minutes in the morning to devote to feeding himself.  This is a product that he'll use maybe once or twice a week.  He likes to have some protein in the morning and if there aren't any hard-boiled eggs in the fridge, he'll usually go with yogurt or cheese.  This is just another option.  And the ingredient list is fairly simple: POTATOES, CHEDDAR CHEESE ([PASTEURIZED MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES, ANNATTO (COLOR)], MODIFIED CORNSTARCH ADDED TO PREVENT CAKING, NATAMYCIN [A NATURAL MOLD INHIBITOR]); COOKED UNCURED BACON BITS - NO NITRATES OR NITRITES ADDED EXCEPT THOSE NATURALLY OCCURING IN CELERY JUICE AND SEA SALT (PORK, WATER, SEA SALT, SUGAR, CULTURED CELERY JUICE, CHERRY POWDER); CITRIC ACID.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Fig, bacon and brie grilled cheese

IMG_8863.thumb.jpg.b88a3c1b5c5055597b4acaffde6789ac.jpg

 

Based on this Blackberry, Bacon, and Brie Grilled Cheese from Fine Cooking but using some of the figs in caramelized honey that I made the other day. 

No butter on the bread, instead it's fried in bacon drippings - oh yeah!

Oh, dear LORD!  That sounds incredible!  I wholly approve of the fig jam substitution!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Oh, dear LORD!  That sounds incredible!  I wholly approve of the fig jam substitution!!!

It was pretty incredible!  I should have taken a photo of the brie, bacon and figs on the bread before I put it together - so much decadence smooshed together in that sandwich!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Why speechless?  My husband has just a few minutes in the morning to devote to feeding himself.  This is a product that he'll use maybe once or twice a week.  He likes to have some protein in the morning and if there aren't any hard-boiled eggs in the fridge, he'll usually go with yogurt or cheese.  This is just another option.  And the ingredient list is fairly simple: POTATOES, CHEDDAR CHEESE ([PASTEURIZED MILK, CHEESE CULTURE, SALT, ENZYMES, ANNATTO (COLOR)], MODIFIED CORNSTARCH ADDED TO PREVENT CAKING, NATAMYCIN [A NATURAL MOLD INHIBITOR]); COOKED UNCURED BACON BITS - NO NITRATES OR NITRITES ADDED EXCEPT THOSE NATURALLY OCCURING IN CELERY JUICE AND SEA SALT (PORK, WATER, SEA SALT, SUGAR, CULTURED CELERY JUICE, CHERRY POWDER); CITRIC ACID.

Sorry, @Kim Shook, I did not mean to judge your choices. My astonishment was just about the point you mentioned: It's a product made from a few simple ingredients, that produces at the end scrambled eggs. I understand the perceived time advantage, but scrambled eggs (or an omelette) one could do with most probably the same effort in a pan in the same time, except for the cutting of the bacon and the cheese (and even that cost you a minute good), for essentially next to no cost. Maybe my views on that are too one-dimensional, but I am really baffled that this is a successful product.

Again my apologies - if you found something tasty to fit your rushed morning routine, good for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CELERY JUICE "

 

the Great Masquerader.

 

in y field , the textbooks claimed

 

Syphilis

 

is the Great Masquerader.

 

times Change.

 

now there are Two

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crostini with crushed fava beans & 'nduja from Diana Henry's How to Eat a Peach

IMG_8876.thumb.jpg.34efc8142b236b8132d1d2f3b0805809.jpg

 

How to Eat a Peach is a menu cookbook and this was listed as a starter for the roasted fish I cooked for dinner last night.  I preped the fava bean spread but figured I wouldn't be hungry for the fish if I started with this so, breakfast. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stopped off after the Farmers' Market at what is becoming my   usual breakfast spot, a little diner called the Eggsellent Cafe (one of those you can get breakfast for lunch, if you want, and they close at 2). French toast and bacon, orange juice and coffee this morning. I like this little spot. My only complaint is that the breakfast combos are So Much Food! But man, they're good. Just breakfast staples, and all of them cooked well.

 

When the grandson's around, he favors the Mickey Mouse pancake.

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2018 at 8:17 PM, Duvel said:

Sorry, @Kim Shook, I did not mean to judge your choices. My astonishment was just about the point you mentioned: It's a product made from a few simple ingredients, that produces at the end scrambled eggs. I understand the perceived time advantage, but scrambled eggs (or an omelette) one could do with most probably the same effort in a pan in the same time, except for the cutting of the bacon and the cheese (and even that cost you a minute good), for essentially next to no cost. Maybe my views on that are too one-dimensional, but I am really baffled that this is a successful product.

Again my apologies - if you found something tasty to fit your rushed morning routine, good for you.

 

Just to apply some North American context for you, @Duvel, they sell frozen grilled cheese sandwiches and peanut butter-and-jelly sandwiches in the supermarkets here, for people who find those too challenging or time-consuming.

Something they're promoting right now in supermarkets here is a reusable parchment bag that holds a grilled cheese sandwich, so you can drop it into your pop-up toaster instead of using a pan. The packaging proclaims "Grilled Cheese Made Easy!"

...because apparently, it otherwise isn't.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chromedome said:

 

Just to apply some North American context for you, @Duvel, they sell frozen grilled cheese sandwiches and peanut butter-and-jelly sandwiches in the supermarkets here, for people who find those too challenging or time-consuming.

Something they're promoting right now in supermarkets here is a reusable parchment bag that holds a grilled cheese sandwich, so you can drop it into your pop-up toaster instead of using a pan. The packaging proclaims "Grilled Cheese Made Easy!"

...because apparently, it otherwise isn't.

Thanks, @chromedome, for that much needed context. It’s probably the natural state of evolution of what we call “convenience” 😋


Edited by Duvel (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kid you not, I've had people tell me "I didn't know you could make whipped cream from scratch!"

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chromedome said:

I kid you not, I've had people tell me "I didn't know you could make whipped cream from scratch!"

 

I had a lifelong friend (in her fifties at the time) who was visiting me along with some other friends....

As we were preparing dinner, she asked to help; I suggested she peel some garlic.

She didn't know how.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This morning had a half a bagel with cream cheese and quartered figs on top which was put under the broiler to warm and caramelize 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, chromedome said:

I kid you not, I've had people tell me "I didn't know you could make whipped cream from scratch!"

You can? 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

098DD156-A516-4C47-9943-DBA5290C2DAD.thumb.jpeg.78b62651cc88fb14a8754a5c7312adc9.jpeg

 

Spam, egg and lettuce onigirazu (Japanese breakfast sandwich).  My first attempt so a bit messy but perfectly adequate tastewise. The spam was glazed with a teriyaki sauce.

  • Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DSCN8614.JPG.c76a4a69663b6919c616486ec35df7c8.JPG

Hard cooked (steamed, actually) eggs and English muffins - both with lashings of butter.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reheated a small portion of the peach & pistachio crisp that I posted about here yesterday and had it with some Greek yogurt. 

To save space in the fridge, I moved the rest of the crisp into a smaller container.  Then I ate that, too  :D


Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, lindag said:

 

I had a lifelong friend (in her fifties at the time) who was visiting me along with some other friends....

As we were preparing dinner, she asked to help; I suggested she peel some garlic.

She didn't know how.

 

Not lifelong, but a friend of more than fifty years was visiting and suggested I just use the garlic skin and all.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

Not lifelong, but a friend of more than fifty years was visiting and suggested I just use the garlic skin and all.

 

Of course - that’s where all the vitamins are !

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×