• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

E2574466-BD2D-4812-A480-377DF1D7CCE7.thumb.jpeg.c6f7f0147b7122b334c2246b5abe29cc.jpeg

If you find yourself disturbed that someone is eating chawanmushi (with shrimp, mushrooms and scallions) from a martini glass with the help of a Bob the Minion spoon before 6 AM perhaps you should consider an attitude adjustment. xDxDxD

Oh, and by the way, I rinsed and repeated  in the style of @liuzhou — not the dish, just the repeat. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

22 minutes ago, Anna N said:

E2574466-BD2D-4812-A480-377DF1D7CCE7.thumb.jpeg.c6f7f0147b7122b334c2246b5abe29cc.jpeg

If you find yourself disturbed that someone is eating chawanmushi (with shrimp, mushrooms and scallions) from a martini glass with the help of a Bob the Minion spoon before 6 AM perhaps you should consider an attitude adjustment. xDxDxD

Oh, and by the way, I rinsed and repeated  in the style of @liuzhou — not the dish, just the repeat. 

Perhaps a Hello Kitty spoon might have been more appropriate?

image.thumb.jpg.fe903b8e59e80695c0469ecbc256afba.jpg

• Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Perhaps a Hello Kitty spoon might have been more appropriate?

image.thumb.jpg.fe903b8e59e80695c0469ecbc256afba.jpg

Damn!

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 6/4/2018 at 9:05 AM, HungryChris said:

I should be picking zucchini from the garden in just a few days, so I had to send this imposter from Wally World on his way. 

Hi HC, I know you've posted it before but search is failing me, can you share your fried zucchini recipe? 

1 hour ago, tonyrocks922 said:

Hi HC, I know you've posted it before but search is failing me, can you share your fried zucchini recipe? 

I start by slicing the zucchini, slightly on the bias, about the thickness of two quarters. Swirl the slices in a bath of lightly salted water, shake off excess water and shake them in a plastic bag of AP flour (shake the bag each time you add a slice, or they tend to stick together). Brush off the excess flour and give them a swim to coat in a 50/50 whole egg and water mixture that has been well beaten. Drain off the excess egg wash, then shake them in a plastic bag of seasoned bread crumbs to which has been added a few good shakes of garlic powder and Tajin. Fry to golden brown in 375 F peanut oil in small batches (such that the oil temp only drops to no less that 350 F). Keeping the fried batches on paper towels in a 175 F oven.

Two of my favorite dipping sauces: Garlic and lemon aioli, which is simply mayo to which I add garlic powder, lemon zest and lemon juice and mix well.

The other is ranch dressing, to which I have added hot sauce to taste and garnished with a dash of Tajin.

They are also good with just hot sauce or fresh salsa. Hope you give it a try!

HC

IMG_0904.thumb.JPG.dea632bdf9dcb543c25e2ea052d342b5.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

Some days, you want traditional.

20180608_083715.thumb.jpg.c91dd3945239bc39c1ac24db36b036a3.jpg

Hash browns, eggs, bacon, biscuits, sorghum molasses with butter. Orange juice and coffee.

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

29 minutes ago, kayb said:

Hash browns, eggs, bacon, biscuits, sorghum molasses with butter. Orange juice and coffee.

Found your appetite?:D

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Found your appetite?:D

That sucker has showed up with a vengeance. I have named it "The Beast." This is what it wanted for breakfast. Yesterday, it wanted Thai, so I fed it panang curry, followed by frozen yogurt to chill the burn.

I may gain back those seven pounds I didn't really intend to lose.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

Eggs scrambled with salami and ham.  Eaten outside.  Not rushing.  Breathing slowly.  The best things in life are (almost) free.  

IMG_0645.thumb.JPG.6de36a5298386041b7c1aaa856265536.JPG

• Like 7

BB71E499-6F59-459C-998B-B4031C013B09.thumb.jpeg.8bb3ffd84aff106ba0c0b5c6453bf148.jpeg

Kanitama don (omelet over rice with gravy).   Usually made with crab but in my case with shrimp.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Also Wright's bacon. With a couple of slabs of a brioche-ish bread I'd made a while back, sliced and frozen. Because I was in the mood for French Toast.

I let my eyes overload my plate. I ate about half of this. Just can't eat sweets like I used to.

20180609_091003.thumb.jpg.2860008a072d9babd50dafa529d0291f.jpg

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

Another breakfast on the run. Every morning, near my home, is a woman selling breakfast from a roadside cart.  I was rushing to catch a train so I grabbed a couple of her 油条 (yóu tiáo), deep-fried twisted dough sticks or crullers.

youtiao.jpg.f048f3f126eff542b69ebb523329ba57.jpg

These are very popular here and are usually served with hot soy milk (豆奶 dòu nǎi). I loathe milk of any kind, especially hot, so I passed on that, as always.

5b1cb8b4a08ba_youtiaoanddounai.jpg.b4166b12f45a36b91637399e9ce669b5.jpg

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I loathe milk of any kind, especially hot, so I passed on that, as always.

What is in the bowl? I’m not suggesting it’s milk I’m just curious. 

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Guessing warm soy milk which would be traditional with the fried cruller

12 minutes ago, heidih said:

Guessing warm soy milk which would be traditional with the fried cruller

But he specifically said he did not do the soy milk. 

My 2004 eG Blog

30 minutes ago, Anna N said:

My apologies.  I should have been clearer. It is indeed warm soy milk in the bowl.

I posted the second photo to show how it is usually served. I didn't have that one. It's an old photo I took a couple of years back. A friend had that one.

This morning I only had the dough sticks with a bottle of water.

24 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

My apologies.  I should have been clearer. It is indeed warm soy milk in the bowl.

I posted the second photo to show how it is usually served. I didn't have that one. It's an old photo I took a couple of years back. A friend had that one.

This morning I only had the dough sticks with a bottle of water.

I’m easily confused before my second coffee. Thanks very much for clearing that up.  

My 2004 eG Blog

73CE0C08-D7F3-4713-BED6-F5372F5CF0A9.thumb.jpeg.96fd8e035e8126b151417546f8dae85e.jpeg

Tamago kake gohan—rice with egg, soy sauce and kimchi furikake. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, Anna N said:

73CE0C08-D7F3-4713-BED6-F5372F5CF0A9.thumb.jpeg.96fd8e035e8126b151417546f8dae85e.jpeg

Tamago kake gohan—rice with egg, soy sauce and kimchi furikake. 

You seem to be on a Japanese kick  of late.  I really must get hold of some miso. I can only get it online and I ran out over a year ago!

Here is a theme song for you.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

You seem to be on a Japanese kick  of late.  I really must get hold of some miso. I can only get it online and I ran out over a year ago!

Definitely back on a Japanese kick. Miso?  Who needs miso? I want one of those swords. :P

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Me!

I can get a lot of Japanese ingredients in local stores, but never miso for some reason.

Miso is a marvellous

ingredient even when not used specifically in Japanese cuisine.  I am glad that I have access to quite a good selection. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Polenta with fried egg and bits and pieces of protein left over after making stock (made crispy in cast iron skillet).  I love polenta and now make it often, thanks to pot in pot Instant Pot method.  

IMG_0649.thumb.JPG.5f190fa3c340e8f4b248be4310c516f9.JPG

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1