• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

6 hours ago, demiglace said:

I've never seen this before, can you describe the cooking process? Thanks

The pudding is made by blending eggs, egg yolks, salt, melted butter, and milk together and then cooking SV for 30 minutes at 74C. You then take the cooked egg mixture and blend that to a pudding consistency. 

The omelette is made putting a lid to an 8” pan in a 350 degree oven and then blending eggs, an egg yolk, heavy cream, and salt together. You put some of the mixture in an 8” pan, put the lid from the oven on top of the pan and then put the pan in the oven for 5 minutes. Then you take the cooked egg sheet out of the pan and fill it with the egg pudding and roll the sides over the pudding.  

Cut in half. Take picture to show people. Eat as much as you can because the thing is so damn rich you might not be able to finish it. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

@Robenco15

Thanks I was intrigued by this and was going to pursue it by looking it up in MCAH.  But you have saved me the trouble!  I don’t do well with very rich foods but I don’t think I’d turn down at least a taste of this.  I am always impressed by anyone who attempts these complex recipes.  

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Made an omelette this morning.  3 eggs, sauteed mushrooms and spinach and because I had just cut an avocado that was nearing over ripe, half a diced avocado went in before the fold.  As strange as it sounds it worked quite well.  The creaminess of the avocado worked well with the soft creamy texture of the egg.  Almost as cheese would have.  

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@Robenco15

Thanks I was intrigued by this and was going to pursue it by looking it up in MCAH.  But you have saved me the trouble!  I don’t do well with very rich foods but I don’t think I’d turn down at least a taste of this.  I am always impressed by anyone who attempts these complex recipes.  

The pudding could be used in a number of ways and amounts to cut the richness too. It’s a wonderful little recipe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Deb and I talked about our next trip to New Orleans after dinner last night. Shrimp and grits, char grilled oysters..... This morning, I woke up with a trencherman's appetite, which I addressed with some scrapple, zucchini fries and poached eggs.

HC

IMG_3196.thumb.JPG.8284a5aafe3de70927548bf13b205611.JPGIMG_3195.thumb.JPG.d4767a2288d823696769c493243fbb14.JPG

• Like 7

5306968A-37D4-4413-9F8F-2CE56E184396.thumb.jpeg.e5694f83aa7b7348f78c4c39d87dd5ba.jpeg

Shrimp okonomiyaki. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@Ann_T  Thanks for the whipped egg white omlette reminder. I did them all the time during the "fear of yolks" era and lke them. Had a breakfast guest today and did one with spinach and havarti cheese. Excellent!  No picture as we were hungry and chatty ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robenco15 said:

The pudding is made by blending eggs, egg yolks, salt, melted butter, and milk together and then cooking SV for 30 minutes at 74C. You then take the cooked egg mixture and blend that to a pudding consistency. 

The omelette is made putting a lid to an 8” pan in a 350 degree oven and then blending eggs, an egg yolk, heavy cream, and salt together. You put some of the mixture in an 8” pan, put the lid from the oven on top of the pan and then put the pan in the oven for 5 minutes. Then you take the cooked egg sheet out of the pan and fill it with the egg pudding and roll the sides over the pudding.  

Cut in half. Take picture to show people. Eat as much as you can because the thing is so damn rich you might not be able to finish it. 

Thanks so much! I love the look of it. I'll have to try it.

3 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Deb and I talked about our next trip to New Orleans after dinner last night. Shrimp and grits, char grilled oysters..... This morning, I woke up with a trencherman's appetite, which I addressed with some scrapple, zucchini fries and poached eggs.

HC

IMG_3196.thumb.JPG.8284a5aafe3de70927548bf13b205611.JPG

I'm very glad to see you enjoying a hearty breakfast.  I was a little worried when you posted this relatively spartan example the other day and no breakfasts in the interim.

On 12/10/2018 at 10:54 AM, HungryChris said:

A perfectly ripened Bartlett pear, ruby red grapefruit supremes and a homemade sweetened lime acqua frizzante.

HC  

IMG_3092.thumb.JPG.a69008ed2e06dbe96e860dfe57994179.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Couldn't figure out what I wanted today.  Finally decided to make the Charred Cabbage with Hazelnut and Pomegranate Muhammara from Shaya

fullsizeoutput_3916.thumb.jpeg.98489ce58e354307d5e0ffd0e8c75fd6.jpeg

Prior to roasting, the cabbage is poached in a broth flavored with orange juice, rice wine vinegar, sugar, garlic, jalapeño, star anise and lemon zest, so it ends up both tender and flavored throughout. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

37DB1EEB-D297-42E6-9E9E-839BEFF494E7.thumb.jpeg.47201fa11fd9d82db54198593fc23f6f.jpeg

Egg and pepperoni onigirazu and black coffee. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

eating Christmas cookies from co-worker. His wife makes them every year, her shortbread made with ground nuts is really tasty. She tweaks the recipes to find ways to reduce the butter and sugar and I really like her cookies because they aren't sugar bombs.

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde