• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

@HungryChris  Your daily inclusion of vegetables at breakfast delights me. I have been trying to channel that. I am not a fruity person but happily eat veggies at any time. Keeping more quick pickled things around and making my salsa is good start. I'd love fried zucchini at breakfast but frying & I are not friends. 

20 hours ago, heidih said:

@HungryChris  Your daily inclusion of vegetables at breakfast delights me. I have been trying to channel that. I am not a fruity person but happily eat veggies at any time. Keeping more quick pickled things around and making my salsa is good start. I'd love fried zucchini at breakfast but frying & I are not friends. 

Inspired by @heidih's comment, breakfast was a two egg omelet and a medley of sautéed zucchini, sugar snaps and some sweet peppers (left over from making pizza last night). Fresh salsa goes without saying. I am a salsa freak!

HC

IMG_2980.thumb.JPG.64f92e1e3b9fa27eee715e9267a3100a.JPGIMG_2982.thumb.JPG.58600d2cfcdd7a4bfbff6b2bbabea27b.JPG

• Like 7

B4257382-C3DA-40E0-B7A2-CB54ADF3D221.thumb.jpeg.ce9d0437da7b66abfd2917561c38b058.jpeg

Thanks to a comment by @David Ross, I found this recipe.

Omelet with ginger sauce served over shredded cabbage with some tomatoes and mayonnaise on the side.  

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yesterday, after many months, a new toy arrived.  This morning was its maiden voyage/shakedown. 

E86700A5-CF65-4769-A450-BC8BB6846297.thumb.jpeg.95042b2b9143f6a53d1e1efa26073b84.jpeg

Egg and shiitake mushroom onigirazu with a small tomato salad on the side. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

6ABD00A0-C532-4F82-A8C3-412348C0DC72.thumb.jpeg.e7bbfad8999a2aa56e45372b7a387501.jpeg

Egg and tomato over rice. @Shelby, look closely those tomatoes are peeled. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, chefmd said:

Eggs with bologna and kale.  Was aiming for frittata but ended up with things on top of eggs ;)

Still looks good.  Well, except for the kale. You really did need to bury that.😂

• Haha 7

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Still looks good.  Well, except for the kale. You really did need to bury that.😂

Noooooo ... Kale is my favourite veggie by far. What I can’t wrap my head around, however, is how you can eat Kale that is still green with distinct leaves and has not been harvested half-frozen and boiled for hours with cured meat products. Maybe if you give the German version a go, you’ll fall in love with it as well. Especially in it’s ritualised version ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That's quite interesting.

I studied German back in 8th grade, which is exactly the wrong time for a roomful of boys to hear any word that sounds like "fart."  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Kale is my favourite veggie by far. 

So you can feel free to eat my lifetime share of it.  😂

• Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, HungryChris said:

I am hoping that is pronounced 'daybrie', it just sounds so much more palatable.

HC

How about day-bree or duh-bree?  For us folks on the gulf coast as long as it's meat scraps and gravy served on good bread we don't quibble about pronunciation😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/7/2018 at 4:05 AM, Anna N said:

There's a lot of agriculture here in Ventura county and the other day a kale spill snarled traffic on an onramp to the 101 Fwy.    

Of course, I though immediately of you xD

Today's breakfast was a variation on the Avocado Toast with Smoked Whitefish from Shaya

fullsizeoutput_38e4.thumb.jpeg.7041be609d239a6f2c57e5506d62475c.jpeg

I used smoked trout instead of smoked whitefish and slices of a whole grain baguette instead of pumpernickel. 

Not a fan of biting into the pink peppercorns though, to be fair, they came from the tree at the end of my driveway so perhaps not the best source 🙃

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Not a fan of biting into the pink peppercorns though, to be fair, they came from the tree at the end of my driveway so perhaps not the best source 🙃

Oh my! From a Brazilian pepper tree? I think they need ferment time. Fun though. Though discussed as toxic and invasive a local community has a foundation that celebrates it ?  http://ci.rolling-hills-estates.ca.us/community/pepper-tree-foundation

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

There's a lot of agriculture here in Ventura county and the other day a kale spill snarled traffic on an onramp to the 101 Fwy.    

Of course, I though immediately of you xD

My power only extends to kale spills north of the 49th parallel.  The south I leave to other members of the sisterhood.  But I’m applauding on the sidelines.  

• Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

33 minutes ago, heidih said:

Oh my! From a Brazilian pepper tree? I think they need ferment time. Fun though. Though discussed as toxic and invasive a local community has a foundation that celebrates it ?  http://ci.rolling-hills-estates.ca.us/community/pepper-tree-foundation

No, not from a Brazilian pepper tree (Schinus terebinthifolius), though I do have annoying sprouts popping up here and there from that invasive one.

I harvested these from my Schinus molle, aka Peruvian pepper, California pepper.  

• Like 1

Bulgarian pasta salad with sirene cheese, roasted peppers, olives, oregano, basil, sun dried tomatoes, olive oil and red wine vinegar.

Rich mashed potatoes. Gigante beans with mace.

IMG_20181116_145258.jpg

IMG_20181116_145314.jpg

IMG_20181116_152155.jpg

• Like 6

~ Shai N.