• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

5938F90B-211A-4635-A2DE-E0D235F70721.thumb.jpeg.1f884976fffbe0ec5df454858670acf6.jpeg

Sausage with homemade tokatsu sauce, scrambled egg and teriyaki flavoured nori over rice. 

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Corned beef hash (from a can 🙄) and toast:

DSCN8786.JPG.36a45c45aa819ad0c2a5fbc1f9e04b3d.JPG

But I did make it super crispy and the toast has excessive amounts of butter 😉.

There is no such thing as excessive amounts of butter. And I LIKE corned beef hash from a can. Got to have a fried egg, over easy, on top of it, though.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:

822563833_BakeNovember9thdoughNovember6th20182.thumb.jpg.92839563508880d4305a35b083e0afca.jpg

Baked last night.   

Moe likes canned salmon.  It is a childhood thing.   

686480257_ToastedBaguetteandcannedsalmonNovember10th2018.thumb.jpg.e6f6b026f5837f96ae8262fdc61d6b05.jpg

So that is what he had for breakfast with toasted baguette.

I'm with Moe.  I love fresh salmon, but like canned also.  I actually grew up on canned salmon on top of salads and in croquettes.  When I was a teenager, my mother started working for the top guy in the DC Boeing office.  He would have whole salmons shipped out from Seattle and give them out.  I remember the first time I had grilled salmon - what a revelation!  I still like them both - but I view them as two different things! 😉

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I love fresh salmon, but like canned also.  I actually grew up on canned salmon ...

Me too!   I am sure I never saw fresh salmon until I was well into adulthood.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I grew up on canned salmon croquettes. There was always a can of salmon in the pantry, and Mama would grab it when she needed dinner in a hurry, or there was nothing else handy. I still make them occasionally; good for a blast of nostalgia.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

One of the best summer meals we had on a regular basis was salad stuff piled on the biggest platter we owned topped with canned tuna on one end and canned salmon on the other.  Baskets of crackers, bowls of Miracle Whip and pickles and oil and vinegar cruets on the table.  I have 3 stepsisters and we always had a crowd of friends around - this meal could be easily expanded by adding a few lettuce leaves and another can!

• Like 4

A couple months ago while unpacking my groceries I discovered a big can of salmon that had not been in my cart.  I did remember seeing it on the belt in front of me in the next shopper's goods.  Somehow the checker assigned it to me instead.

I had been planning to use it for add-ons to my dogs' food but so far it's still on the shelf.

Now maybe from reading through this thread here I can find a better way to use it up.

• Like 4

If you want a spread this one is delicious.

15 oz canned salmon, drained and picked over to remove skin and bones

1/4 c olive oil

2 tablespoons lemon juice

black pepper

1 1/2 cup very cold whipping cream

Crumble salmon into a bowl with a fork

Add oil, lemon juice, pinch salt and a few grinding of black pepper

Beat with a fork until smooth and well mixed

whip cream until stiff

Gently fold cream into salmon mixture.

chill for two hours before serving.

use within 24 hours

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Trying to use up a whole side of salmon.   Belly was smoked and most of the side portioned for meals.   The tail section was coated in a salt, sugar mix with crushed corriander and stashed in the fridge in a covered container.  The cure turned into a syrupy liquid after a few hours and the fish was flipped after several hours and left overnight. 

The filet was cured nicely  and made good gravlax the next morning 

DF7C58EB-2A7A-462F-BDE4-C222652081BC.jpeg

9B308CA3-8599-43B4-AA66-DD2469E507B6.jpeg

4838CB1D-7E62-451B-AB81-6CEA150783F3.jpeg

• Like 10

I bought these "Vienna Flavor" sausages more out of curiosity than hope. I have no idea what they have to with Vienna. Or Marco Polo. They also had a "Milan Flavour" version. The ingredients lists for both were identical.

Anyway, for an industrial sausage, they aren't bad, at all.

This morning fried with fried egg and buttered home made bread toast.

bfast.thumb.jpg.77cbbc987d1a62d79e8b80db9ddc4628.jpg

vienna.jpg

• Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

7 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Or Marco Polo

Just think !

He must have given the Chinese some recipe in return for bringing all their noodle magic to Europe, no ..?

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Yes, "No".

Anyway, he was from Venice, not Vienna!

Well, given that most guys in Europe can’t tell Shanxi and Shaanxi apart, I’d say close enough. I stick with my story 😋

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Playing catch up here after being away from home for most of the last week. A friend and I traveled down to Harlingen, in the Rio Grande Valley, for their annual Birding Festival. 

9E682A86-7614-4670-A4B9-A42B8AB68BE3.thumb.jpeg.aca54271b95d89000fabd53274b1faa3.jpeg

$4.59 Breakfast Special - Two eggs (over easy) with Bacon, Hash Brown Potatoes, Beans, Flour Tortillas and Coffee at the Las Vegas Cafe

87AF4E5E-D0A8-4252-B0BD-91286805ED66.thumb.jpeg.2f76b09e25e6230e4f4cb33d09da52e9.jpeg

Breakfast Tacos (less than $3 each) with Potato, Egg, Bacon and Cheese to go from the Las Vegas Cafe - we had these twice, on the mornings when we had an early morning Birding field trip.

0CD5B6DA-B753-4251-A809-01719B894E76.thumb.jpeg.6070b477964eed16c135affea72c5563.jpeg

The Las Vegas Cafe is closed on Sundays, so we went to Cracker Barrell for our final breakfast in Harlingen. I had two eggs over easy with bacon, biscuits and gravy, grits and coffee. 

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 13

One can probably count the advantages of old age on half of the fingers of one hand. But here’s one: 

85E34F2D-97DA-42D5-92A7-F99AD1118561.thumb.jpeg.868100ae16511502fcbd0bcfb1401b28.jpeg

Time to play with one’s food even at breakfast time.   Wasabi-mayo devilled egg, spam onigirazu, cherry tomato stuffed with leftover potato salad. 

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

Because every once in a while, you have to splurge.

1166071976_breakfast11-7.jpg.15d012591196d3deb9e8085c842827d3.jpg

Had a houseguest, so pulled out the stops for breakfast. Bacon, smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, pear preserves, a latke with sour cream and caviar (ok, it was the cheap domestic kind), and another latke with apple butter. I did not want lunch.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

B5CAC3EA-4402-4A29-9B51-FA818346057B.thumb.jpeg.eb02aa1fa64315b374cacf3349ef2cc9.jpeg

Small tomato and cucumber salad, bean sprout and scallion salad, tamagoyaki with nori, and two small moulded onigiri rolled in kimchi furikake. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog