• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

😂”Don't let inflexible ideas of authenticity get in the way of deliciousness.” Nick Kindelsperger (Chicago Tribune).

I just couldn’t resist.  Nice tamagoyaki!

One of the side-effects of living in a Catalan-German household with a serious affection for all things Japanese 😉 ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

One of the side-effects of living in a Catalan-German household with a serious affection for all things Japanese 😉 ...

No worries.  I find your style boosts my confidence and my willingness to step out of my comfort zone.  

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

C57263F8-3DFC-41A0-B188-A03E6BB766AE.thumb.jpeg.9763c7802d58e71abf82741ffb8947d3.jpeg

Breakfast sandwich:

Ham, scallion omelette, and nori. I need a much finer nib on my ketchup  bottle. 

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, heidih said:

more info on "cripy pumpkin chips" please

Just shaved strips of pumpkin flesh with a Y shaped vegetable peeler and dropped them into the sizzling butter (the same butter I later browned for the sauce) until the edges took on some colour; drained on paper towels and sprinkled with salt. They crisped up as they cooled. :) 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

7FD21370-5608-44D0-BE89-3E5A7CF49C6A.thumb.jpeg.09b168d23413fd6e4f5943da14e184e1.jpeg

Rice bowl with seasoned vegetables and egg.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

I have had a craving for blueberry pancakes for days now.  After dropping many hints to Ronnie (he's the pancake/waffle guy) I decided to take matters into my own hands.

IMG_5294.JPG.200d9e54c3b1ba65c241da719cff0870.JPG

IMG_5295.JPG.3ad47fcd471aae367ee43ee7768346ae.JPG

Chum had a pancake and a sausage, too.

Dr. Lecter declined.

• Like 9

My first cook from Ottolenghi's Simple

IMG_9122.thumb.jpg.287433fb1136a48382a208205952c191.jpg

Hot Charred Cherry Tomatoes with Cold Yogurt and Braised Eggs with Leek and Za'atar.  Bäco bread on the side.  The egg & leek recipe is available online here.

The tomatoes are roasted, then broiled with garlic, lemon zest, cumin, thyme, oregano, slivered lemon zest and olive oil and garnished with more fresh oregano and Urfa chile flakes.  The Greek yogurt is seasoned with lemon zest and salt.  Excellent.

The egg dish was rather salty from the preserved lemon (the recipe says to use both the skin and flesh) and feta.  I also added extra spinach.  Next time, I'll just poach the eggs and nestle them into the cooked vegetables.

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link to recipe (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Thinly sliced pork tenderloin salted and peppered both sides and left to sit for about 30 minutes, then pan fried. Lightly fried double-yolk chicken's egg (white set; yolk runny). There was some buttered bread for mopping up purposes.

174979314_bfastoh.thumb.jpg.ac69daeaa81af416bc77592a640e6c00.jpg

1393060390_bfastclose.thumb.jpg.12c479c6ac33b3e14318fb1354c8ee93.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 10/5/2018 at 9:38 PM, Duvel said:

Tamagoyaki with Choriço ... and a Brezl

Taking a page out of Duvel’s book.

752EBC4C-1221-4FDE-A2DB-DA366875F4DA.thumb.jpeg.0ae76aec2ce3930d3c53e315a1008b70.jpeg

Nikomi hamburg meets hakkebøf.

One of my late husband‘s favourite dishes from his native Denmark was hakkebøf - again a cross between a hamburger and Salisbury steak. A hamburger made with onion gravy and often topped with a fried egg.

My interpretation: Beneath the egg is a Japanese hamburger left over from dinner yesterday evening. The side is cocktail tomato wedges tossed with pickled ginger and a little pickled ginger juice. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

I still have smoked turkey breast left from Saturday, so I made another toasted club house sandwich for Moe and I to share this morning

1399271004_ToastedClubhouseSandwichOctober8th20181.thumb.jpg.60ca5efb331e8f4377d3dc3efd1d601a.jpg

Served with homemade potato chips. 

The smoked turkey was even better than it was Saturday.   Moist with a wonderful smoked flavour.  Still surprised at how well the pellet smoke tube works. 

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Ann_T said:

I still have smoked turkey breast left from Saturday, so I made another toasted club house sandwich for Moe and I to share this morning

1399271004_ToastedClubhouseSandwichOctober8th20181.thumb.jpg.60ca5efb331e8f4377d3dc3efd1d601a.jpg

Served with homemade potato chips. 

The smoked turkey was even better than it was Saturday.   Moist with a wonderful smoked flavour.  Still surprised at how well the pellet smoke tube works. 

That is a fine looking clubhouse!

• Like 1