• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

Just now, blue_dolphin said:

I wasn't sure about that combination but yes, indeed, it was excellent!

I know what you mean. That combination of two widely divergent cuisines didn’t sound as though it would end up in anything good. But I thought it was pretty amazing and yours looks even more amazing.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5A97F765-3768-4FE6-9554-6923B62CB01D.thumb.jpeg.86284bd1aa3f264ef8cc627f8d87d8dd.jpeg

Chawanmushi (Japanese egg custard with shrimp, shiitakes, snow pea and carrot) and green beans karashiae (beans with a mustard dressing).

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

52 minutes ago, Anna N said:

5A97F765-3768-4FE6-9554-6923B62CB01D.thumb.jpeg.86284bd1aa3f264ef8cc627f8d87d8dd.jpeg

Chawanmushi (Japanese egg custard with shrimp, shiitakes, snow pea and carrot) and green beans karashiae (beans with a mustard dressing).

I need to get some of that light soy - your custard is so much lighter than mine!

• Like 1

@CantCookStillTry

"""    The way it looked made me riffle through my bin to confirm I did infact take the plastic off! ""

sounds like you got the right stuff : i.e. same stuff McD uses !

MarketBasket , a samll local chain , makes their won in the A for 1.99 USD.

they sue Land'O'Lakes  white american cheese

and their version is Soooooo    much better than McD

McD  seems to use a proprietary type of cheesy-rubber

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

D631DB2B-DCA9-434B-90C3-A516EA9C2831.thumb.jpeg.86540d438be9cf958e8aabb37a986b9a.jpeg

Planned-over chawanmushi, soy simmered shiitakes and a cucumber and seaweed salad. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

三鲜馄饨 (sān xiān hún tún)

Three delicacy wontons. Home made but frozen. They cook from frozen in three minutes. Quick breakfast.

wontons1.thumb.jpg.cd319f5fffcc4ababba86932a5cc269d.jpg

With yellow Sriracha sauce. Bought in Sriracha.

The three delicacies are shrimp, pork and shiitake.

wontons2.thumb.jpg.d6a978100216885dcb95c0046bde6243.jpg

Happy mouth.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

ADC9D1B7-D6CB-4291-BC09-6538BF987718.thumb.jpeg.ceacdac723ed0f7dd6963f2ba48d1fb6.jpeg

Scrambled eggs with mixed mushrooms and a cabbage slaw with a hot sesame-vinegar dressing. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Boiled egg, mashed with butter on toast and topped with crumbled bacon 

Now that is brilliant.

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, heidih said:

@blue_dolphin  We think you can't keep using the generic toast term as your bread is so key. More details please ;) 

Sadly, it's not homemade bread.

Happily though, that toast is made from a Glenn Country Rosemary Batard from Roan Mills, operated by the folks who run Kenter Canyon Farms. They grow and mill the grains and bake the bread locally, in Fillmore.

8F9A9E65-1A9E-419B-9126-364FE7384B31.thumb.jpeg.024653b6fc044da856db4adb4b3a5a58.jpeg

The best laid plans...  

Planned:  Dashimaki Tamago with bok choy in a wasabi seasoned sauce. 

Accomplished: Julianned rolled omelet (as in what would Julia do if the rolled omelet did not work out?) with bok choy in a wasabi seasoned sauce. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

On 9/8/2018 at 6:48 AM, CantCookStillTry said:

Sausage and Egg MumMuffin 😅

The cheese was branded 'American Burger Cheese' at Aldi - I think they did the USA a disservice. The way it looked made me riffle through my bin to confirm I did infact take the plastic off!

20180908_161909.thumb.jpg.8161f0e283e1615dfd63eaae19fdc4ff.jpg

This is something that I've always wondered about.  I find a huge difference between the "American" cheese that is wrapped in plastic and the kind that is not - either from the deli or what Kraft calls "Deli Deluxe".  I detest the first and find everyone's condemnation warranted.  But I like the latter and use it a lot.  Anyone else want to chime in on this?

• Like 1

I can't for the life of me find it, but someone here mentioned using this and said they quite liked it:

DSCN8605.JPG.f90d1f1c7249b2c200a7eac9bed95b16.JPG

They had them at Kroger, so I decided to try the potatoes, Cheddar and bacon one:

DSCN8603.JPG.486a5520d5d75af99c28b46027a9c461.JPG

It was actually pretty good.  I prefer the potatoes and the bacon to be crisp, but everything was fresh tasting and it certainly couldn’t be easier.  And not terrible nutritionally, either.  A little high on sodium (440 mg), but good on carbs (3gr).  I wouldn’t want Mr. Kim to eat them every day, but a couple of times a week would be ok.  As Jess points out, I could put these together myself.  But will I is the question!😉

Another morning:

DSCN8610.JPG.6a71ff673dc9fa67fa89d69be56c6ab9.JPG

Just ham, eggs and Cheddar with some CSO toast!

• Like 4

I keep these in the fridge all the time.   Easy and very tasty with an English muffin or toast.  I do use two eggs.

Also, I don't use their cup but instead a small microwave Corning ware skillet. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

interesting.

what's in the cups before you add the egg(s) ?

these days Im a big fan of do-ahead , but try to make it tasty in the end.

thus a lot of Fz SV downstairs.

Here's a link to the website with a list of the varieties.  A couple of them have green peppers (shiver), so be careful!!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Here's a link to the website with a list of the varieties.  A couple of them have green peppers (shiver), so be careful!!!

Sometimes I am simply speechless what the convenience sector comes up with (and people actually buy) ...