• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

CB6F802B-63E2-463A-86AA-CCCCEBAF9BBB.thumb.jpeg.0851f8e8e415167cf7731f6faaf76787.jpeg

Planned-over chicken katsu on rice with tomatoes and cucumber and a sprinkling of togarashi. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

853FB65E-5CA8-4528-AED0-A97548A54D6E.thumb.jpeg.da27ebc7c53ef1e432ce7b2639710231.jpeg

Re-heated takikomi gohan (mixed rice) topped with a poached egg. 

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

15A81755-6C3D-4A7E-AF6A-D4705EAFCC8E.thumb.jpeg.0b140d4cef1fddb509a4c79ef508c70b.jpeg

@Kerry Beal  dropped in this morning on her way home from a 24 hour shift in Dunnville and brought me fresh farm eggs,  both chicken and duck, and two ears of corn from the Dunnville Farmers’ Market.  Decisions. Decisions.   The corn won.  Here is the first cob.  The second followed in short order.  Delicious.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

CEF299D8-07AC-46E7-9919-00AE7E5A77CF.thumb.jpeg.eaf8c77f5363ce26b7b3111b3f0792be.jpeg

Inspired by a gift of a dozen duck eggs yesterday.   Egg, bacon, shiitake mushrooms, tomatoes and fried bread soldiers. The bacon was brought down from Manitoulin and is from Max Burt Farms. Here

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

That all looks good, but the bacon especially grabs me. It looks perfectly done: crisp, not burnt, not soggy. I could take that and the tomatoes (why do I forget to do tomatoes that way?) and be satisfied.

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

0D7D2C6B-BF62-40CA-A264-D67F49104C71.thumb.jpeg.5dc8bb075c6ff6ee8bf2bb190f641eee.jpeg

Tamagoyaki (duck egg) and a salad. 

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

B0CE6774-24AD-4475-8CDC-DCBF228846E9.thumb.jpeg.b8623f0f15ddffe07a68d6a1ebe0720b.jpeg

Rolled omelet with bacon and cheese, some tiny mixed tomatoes that were a gift and a dressing of ponzu and Kewpie mayonnaise. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Wonderful breakfast this morning at my favorite breakfast place in Fayetteville, AR, Arsaga's at the Depot. I had already walked down there once this week in desperation, looking for an alternative to the horrible hotel coffee, and just had to go back for breakfast. I opted for a simple bacon and fried egg sandwich, elevated above the ordinary by the fact it was a farm egg, locally raised farm bacon, and an English muffin from a nearby bakery, with cilantro mayo. It was pretty marvelous. Had a fruit salad on the side.

And copious amounts of GOOD coffee, with orange juice.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com