• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

A bit delayed as this was actually yesterday’s breakfast:

Travelling by train in Japan means that you HAVE to buy (or bring) an “ekiben” or train lunch box. Large parts of Tokyo station are dedicated shops to provide you with any imaginable food, boxed neatly in any required portion size for taking to your trip. 

WP_20180728_09_30_10_Pro.thumb.jpg.d21b31f64ee81e6d16c0d5342c1af3f7.jpg

WP_20180728_10_19_44_Pro.thumb.jpg.e56816255259d11c432bfc58aea9c5e5.jpg

I opted for Tamagoyaki in 7 different flavours (classic, chestnut, chicken, chilli, seaweed, little fishes and something I already forgot). The classic one was rich and sweet and I found that the other flavours did not really stand a chance against the basic seasoning. That being said, they were tasty ...

WP_20180728_10_32_41_Pro.thumb.jpg.e733fd31b534486d3988cbddfdff9aa6.jpg

Out of curiousity I bought also the Green Curry Pan, which consisted of baked green tinted bread, filled with a thickened and very aromatic green Thai curry and topped with roasted shaved coconut. A heavenly cream mbination that I will try to replicate at home.

Just before boarding the Shinkansen ‘‘tis would be the last chance to buy an ekiben, but as you could see I was already set ...

WP_20180728_10_19_30_Pro.jpg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Duvel said:

I opted for Tamagoyaki in 7 different flavours (classic, chestnut, chicken, chilli, seaweed, little fishes and something I already forgot). The classic one was rich and sweet and I found that the other flavours did not really stand a chance against the basic seasoning. That being said, they were tasty ...

I swear I learn more about Japanese food from reading your posts than from stacks and stacks of real and virtual books!  7 different iterations of tamagoyaki?  Oh my. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Sunday breakfast.

Now that is the quintessential Sunday breakfast for me. I don’t have a lot of memories of my early childhood but the smell of tomatoes frying on a Sunday morning.....

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Now that is the quintessential Sunday breakfast for me. I don’t have a lot of memories of my early childhood but the smell of tomatoes frying on a Sunday morning.....

My thoughts entirely.  I actually woke up about 2 am thinking of this then tossed and turned all night! There was no choice but to go for it.  I even had to go out at some unearthly hour to pick up some fresh eggs. I had eggs, but they were passed poaching age.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Homemade 三鲜饺子 (sān xiān jiǎo zi ) - three flavour jiaozi (pork, prawn and shiitake).  With a soy and Zhejiang black vinegar dip.

The jiaozi were boiled in a spicy, garlicky broth and some of the chilli and garlic added to the dip.

j1.thumb.JPG.a447fe5f64904921c0dfeb2d066acded.JPG

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Used to live near a chicken firm that specialized in raising brood stock chickens. They had a number of hatcheries, which all culled their eggs before setting them to incubate.  They'd separate out the double-yolkers and sell them as "extra large" at a local store, and I'd make a special trip to that store to buy them.

Unfortunately, since the chickens didn't get to run around and were fed a specialized diet, they didn't taste like farm eggs. Good and fresh, though. 

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

17 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Homemade 三鲜饺子 (sān xiān jiǎo zi ) - three flavour jiaozi (pork, prawn and shiitake).  With a soy and Zhejiang black vinegar dip.

The jiaozi were boiled in a spicy, garlicky broth and some of the chilli and garlic added to the dip.

j1.thumb.JPG.a447fe5f64904921c0dfeb2d066acded.JPG

You're killing me!   LOVE dumplings.  I usually have a stash of homemade ones in the freezer but sadly we ate them all last week.  Looks like you make your own wrappers too!!

6 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

You're killing me!   LOVE dumplings.  I usually have a stash of homemade ones in the freezer but sadly we ate them all last week.  Looks like you make your own wrappers too!! 

On this occasion, I did make the wrappers, although to be honest I often buy them for next to nothing in my local market.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3

Got up hungry this morning.20180731_085933.thumb.jpg.374619ef81b0af11e027ac5bf5c9eec2.jpg

Fried potatoes and onions, topped with what were going to be over easy eggs until I broke a yolk. Some bacon fried up in the potatoes. 

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Nothing new here. Move along. Be about your business.

20180801_150155.thumb.jpg.f2c3829d976b68bc53a750a40a072826.jpg

Duck egg in wowotou buns.

Good news is that one of my egg sources has started displaying the lay date of its stock. I think I can trust them. These were layed two days ago, according to the notice.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 2

We had calamari fritti last night on top of spaghetti al pesto sooooo.....calamari fritti omelette for breakfast.

Calamari Fritti Omelette (2).jpg

Calamari Fritti Omelette (1).jpg

Calamari Fritti Omelette.jpg

• Like 4

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

- W. C. Fields