• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

58 minutes ago, Anna N said:

How was it?   It always looks just too “herbie” for me but I’ve never tried it.  It has attracted my attention on more than one occasion and from more than one source. 

It was indeed very herb-y. I've also seen it in various places, been curious and had the fridge contents to make it a good idea today. I liked it with the tomato chutney - it needs a punchy accompaniment, I think. I'm glad I tried it.  The leftovers will determine whether I make it again or not.

• Thanks 1

Cucumber sandwich on my DH's bread.  Lots of homemade mayo, salt and white pepper.  I love cucumber sandwiches.  No mess, no fuss, plus it used up one of the many, many cucumbers from the garden!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Anna N said:

How was it?   It always looks just too “herbie” for me but I’ve never tried it.  It has attracted my attention on more than one occasion and from more than one source. 

It's usually indeed very herby, but it's also very adaptable, if you not sure about it, you can try your go-to frittata recipe with an addition of dill, a few more herbs and walnuts, and optionally dried cranberries. I personally like this version just as much, and find it more suitable as a breakfast. I prefer the traditional herby one as a side dish.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

The first is from a couple of days ago. A seasoned burger (home ground tri-tip), on Japanese rice, tomato concasse, & a poached egg. Today's breakfast is mu usual. Oatmeal, blueberries, a bit of maple syrup, toasted pecans, & a dollop of plain Greek yogurt. The blueberry coffee cake was an added treat.

Burger on Rice w- a Poached Egg.jpg

Standard Breakfast.jpg

• Like 6

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

- W. C. Fields

Repurposed leftovers from the other night for breakfast. Topped with an egg makes it new right?

Mexican Rice, Beans, Grilled Pork & Egg.jpg

• Like 6

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.

- W. C. Fields

Fried zucchini, a tomato from the garden and poached eggs on a snowflake roll. Fresh salsa on the fried zucchini is a winning combination. It would make a really great bar food. There will be no lunch today!

HC

IMG_1455.thumb.JPG.1d208086e3dbb91c1f99beaf34a132c2.JPGIMG_1460.thumb.JPG.187e5ee1089460a00429b31344ae6b8f.JPG

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Some cured meat under the first garden tomato and tea.  That mug....there are two and no one but us are allowed to use them.  Because we bought them in 1974!!  We use them every morning for our tea.  I almost broke one a couple of years ago...that would have been a disaster .

DSC02599.thumb.jpg.95758756081ad379631017815436e076.jpg

• Like 8

The first local Jersey tomatoes came in this week.

Toasted Dave's Killer bread, MIRACLE WHIP, tomatoes that were lightly salted.

Can there be a better breakfast on a rainy Sunday morning?

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

10 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

The first local Jersey tomatoes came in this week.

Toasted Dave's Killer bread, MIRACLE WHIP, tomatoes that were lightly salted.

Can there be a better breakfast on a rainy Sunday morning?

LOL Well for me, "a better breakfast" would involve dropping the Miracle Whip in favor of real mayo. But I understand the sentiment. :)

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 minute ago, chromedome said:

LOL Well for me, "a better breakfast" would involve dropping the Miracle Whip in favor of real mayo. But I understand the sentiment. :)

Well OBVIOUSLY you are descended from those Norsemen who came into L'Anse aux Meadows and put mustard in their tartar sauce....☺️

• Haha 2

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

19 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Well OBVIOUSLY you are descended from those Norsemen who came into L'Anse aux Meadows and put mustard in their tartar sauce....☺️

Nah. That's what happens when people who have no idea about tartar sauce start making it for the tourists. :)

Seriously, when I was a kid I knew NOBODY who ate tartar sauce. Fish 'n' chips came with vinegar or ketchup, and that was pretty much it.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

16 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Nah. That's what happens when people who have no idea about tartar sauce start making it for the tourists. :)

Seriously, when I was a kid I knew NOBODY who ate tartar sauce. Fish 'n' chips came with vinegar or ketchup, and that was pretty much it.

OK  that explains it...

I grew up with vinegar or ketchup and Worchestershire for the fish only.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

57 minutes ago, chromedome said:

That's what my English stepdad said about tartar sauce in Britain.  He left in the 1960's.  But when we went in 2011, all our fish came with it.  He was surprised.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

That's what my English stepdad said about tartar sauce in Britain.  He left in the 1960's.  But when we went in 2011, all our fish came with it.  He was surprised.

I'm not surprised he was surprised. Growing up in Britain in the 50's, 60's even 70's tartar sauce was unheard of- Real mayonnaise was almost unknown,  never mind pimped  up mayonnaise!

I don't think I tasted tartar sauce until the 80s and even then it was unusual 'foreign food'.

Now, I make it fairly regularly in a place where almost no one knows it. Their loss.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

16 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Creamed chipped beef (Stouffer's) on Texas toast:

DSCN8449.JPG.d5c817aee72bf40af61d3614f441a4ec.JPG

OMG this looks good.  I haven't had chipped beef in forever.

I'm having a favorite of mine in the summer--cheap bologna on a lightly toasted bun with glorious tomatoes and homemade mayo.

IMG_4967.JPG.5c41aaa107247577d7d7762657fdd623.JPG

• Like 6