• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

Yesterday's breakfast was this cinnamon rolls that Mr. Kim brought home from our favorite/local doughnut place:

DSCN8407.JPG.b943203eb5e71443db77c881285cf161.JPG

The plate it is sitting is a dinner sized one.  It was still tender and flaky this morning.

This morning was waffles, sage sausage and bananas:

DSCN8408.JPG.85136c3df593f61219276819bfe80436.JPG

Those waffles are frozen.  One of life’s little adjustments to having my mom living with us.  She likes a big breakfast every morning and she actually likes them.  Nothing like scratch, but not too terrible.  They are what i grew up on, after all.

• Like 9

wontons.jpg.e21d184d170bcef24d4bed0a2e497186.jpg

Very early breakfast. 5.30 am.

Pork and shiitake wontons* with black pepper and sriracha sauce. Bad lighting, but no natural light available until around 6 am.

Off to catch a train.

*  I always keep a supply in the freezer for emergencies. They cook from frozen in just 2 minutes, so really useful when you are in a hurry (or too damn lazy to do anything else).

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

12 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Nice posts.   Our standard breakfast has been raw oats with berries, nuts  and almond milk.  Splurges with egg based breakfasts.     

Mine is steel-cut oats, usually with raisins. The bog-standard egg breakfast with toast, some form of cured pork and (perhaps) potatoes leaves me feeling bloated and greasy until mid-morning, and then ravenous until lunch.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

15 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Nice posts.   Our standard breakfast has been raw oats with berries, nuts  and almond milk.  Splurges with egg based breakfasts.     

Mine is a batch made meal to be eaten all week at work - lol.  I envy people that are with it in the morning enough to get breakfasts like these!!

2 hours ago, blbst36 said:

Mine is a batch made meal to be eaten all week at work - lol.  I envy people that are with it in the morning enough to get breakfasts like these!!

I make up five mornings' worth of oatmeal at a time (because steel-cut oats take a while to cook, and I'm not fond of the quick oats anymore). In the morning I heat it in the microwave while making my tea and my GF's coffee, and then I'm good to go.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I have run out of regular bread to accompany breakfast, but luckily I had one large mantou steamed bread bun. Sliced it laterally to resemble a slice of bread and put my medium boiled duck egg on it. Applied a second slice as a lid. Ate.

egg.jpg.0422b2f46ab164f23569b804c845192f.jpg

• Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

54 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Those peaches looks soooo good.  

Thanks.  They were excellent!  These were "June Lady," apparently running a little late this year. From Tenerelli Orchards where they grow a slew of varieties that ripen from the end of June into November with the latest variety, "Autumn Lady."  My favorite, "Oh Henry" comes sometime mid-season.  

• Like 2

Today's breakfast was 2 ears of corn.  Yesterday, I made Grilled Corn with Alla Diavola Butter from Six Seasons.  The header notes suggest serving the corn with several of the compound butters in the book so that's what I did.

Not-grilled corn with Cacio e Pepe butter and Pecorino.  

IMG_8360.thumb.jpg.34b6d5c5db9c8dbeb3fd7ac60a773388.jpg

Peppery and delicious.  A couple of those big chunks of peppercorn certainly woke up my taste buds!

Not-grilled corn with Pickled Vegetable Butter:

IMG_8361.thumb.jpg.8b040357d50b79c0d055332758860dc0.jpg

This one looked pretty but I'd just as soon have a dish of pickles on the side.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

5 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Scrapple, pan sautéed (in ramp compound butter) 

Doubt you could even tempt me with this. Seems like a shameful waste of lovely butter. But then what do I know?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Doubt you could even tempt me with this. Seems like a shameful waste of lovely butter. But then what do I know?

zucchini ribbons, pan sautéed in ramp compound butter ....does that help? I changed the structure to bring out the truth.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

zucchini ribbons, pan sautéed in ramp compound butter ....does that help? I changed the structure to bring out the truth.

Ah so. I suspected you would properly curate that butter, but I did read it  that you had sauteed that other stuff in there.  I feel much better knowing the truth.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Ah so. I suspected you would properly curate that butter, but I did read it  that you had sauteed that other stuff in there.  I feel much better knowing the truth.

It's hot and humid here and I am in the process of trying to move a pile of firewood before the heavy rains in the forecast arrive and  taking breaks in the A/C between stints. Maybe I should be taking longer and more frequent periods inside to recover my faculties.

HC

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Kuku Sabzi

How was it?   It always looks just too “herbie” for me but I’ve never tried it.  It has attracted my attention on more than one occasion and from more than one source. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog