• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

192260F0-0945-4529-A944-3EA5551DB309.thumb.jpeg.2a13c204d4e51bdcd03dc9eccd889ee5.jpeg

Rice with kimchi furikake and a 6 1/2 minute egg.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

THis morning I toasted some sourdough slices and topped them with fresh pesto and sliced tomatoes fresh from the garden.  So good that I will be slacking off on the avocado toast and going with Pesto toast for a while.  

• Like 3

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

E5F167C9-4509-46DD-9250-DB923269E7EC.thumb.jpeg.ef05365baa906858378ad84d1b714272.jpeg

Duck egg omelet with shiitake and cremini mushrooms. 

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

For breakfast John had the Titanic Breakfast: 2 fish cakes, 2 eggs(over easy for him), hash browns and toast.  He had one of the fish cakes and some leftover lobster for lunch as we were exploring the area in a fog bank this afternoon.

Looks like this is going to be his go to for the next two days.

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Today started with this sunrise, photographed at 5:13 AM:

IMG_8190.jpg.438c26e3755b508ce8145138bd74aa03.jpg

Temp was a pleasant 74°F. 

The sunrise was followed by this plate eaten on the porch with a view of the above lake.

IMG_8197.jpg.d08800c07520c7b87a1c7d8b5897c02e.jpg

Toasted sourdough baguette, McCadam's Adirondack wicked sharp cheddar, apple salsa - purchased from a local orchard, raw veg and black coffee.

It's presently 90°F and forecast to be hotter tomorrow so iced coffee may be in order!

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

The perfect follow-up to a fun night out: "Bavarian Breakfast" - Weisswürstchen, Brezn, Weissbier ...

Works pretty well :D

image.jpeg

What are the dark sausages? Some kind of blood sausage?

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

51 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

What are the dark sausages? Some kind of blood sausage?

Pickled cucumbers (picture taken with an antique iPad) ...

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Pickled cucumbers (picture taken with an antique iPad) ...

Thanks. And I was looking at it with antique eyes.

I remember the first time I was in Bavaria, about 40 years ago. I arrived from Vienna rather late at night, went straight to my hotel and to bed.

In the morning around 7 am, I found my way to the breakfast room where I had a similar breakfast, but what sticks in my memory most was the chef/waiter/manager/owner asking me:

"and what would you like to drink? Tea, coffee or beer?"

Then I knew I would like it there!

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Up at 4:15 AM to see my brother head off to the airport. I'll be doing the same later this afternoon.  Since I was up, I started the day with a walk to take advantage of the pre-dawn coolness (76°F/heat index 83) after yesterday's high of 95°F/heat index 109.  Today is forecast to be hotter.

Here's a pre-sunrise view of the lake from the neighborhood beach, just down the street.

IMG_8211.thumb.jpg.c9cf00a687f2d0d9754dd6f5c1403822.jpg

Folks who don't live directly on the lake can moor their boats here. 

By the time I was back at the house, the sun was up and ready to sizzle!

IMG_8216.thumb.jpg.9760bdff8e0f3d2be161bee758578cff.jpg

Did I mention there is no AC is this old house? 

Breakfast on the porch:

IMG_8226.thumb.jpg.d672b922be4ff0e31f0553c76fb948a8.jpg

Fresh fruit, iced coffee and an doughnut from Rulf's Orchard, just down the road.  They used to sell them along with fresh pressed cider just during apple season but they now have a year-round bakery and café. Best doughnuts ever and the only ones I'll eat!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Up at 4:15 AM to see my brother head off to the airport. I'll be doing the same later this afternoon.  Since I was up, I started the day with a walk to take advantage of the pre-dawn coolness (76°F/heat index 83) after yesterday's high of 95°F/heat index 109.  Today is forecast to be hotter.

Here's a pre-sunrise view of the lake from the neighborhood beach, just down the street.

IMG_8211.thumb.jpg.c9cf00a687f2d0d9754dd6f5c1403822.jpg

Georgeous, gorgeous photo. A framer. Have enjoyed your travels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

D9D5C1BC-AA2B-417E-B0F6-D2D295165396.thumb.jpeg.e6cd3cc6f55e1a4462c832802cb92255.jpeg

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm back in So Cal but had a breakfast that takes me back to my recent northern NY trip.

IMG_8242.thumb.jpg.d3590ce43351d24f062d87d92fbd959b.jpg

While up there, I bought a basket of Saskatoon berries at a local farm and turned it into a Saskatoon-ginger preserve.

The cheese is a Vermont Spring Brie from Vermont Farmstead Cheese Co. that I picked up at the Trader Joe's in Burlington, VT. This is a luscious cheese and I highly recommend it if you see it in your area. 

The bread takes us back to So Cal, grown, milled and baked by Roan Mills. 

• Like 8

Maybe more brunch than breakfast: Flight delay from Seoul to Hong Kong, so had some hours to kill. Luckily, just one shuttle bus stop away from the Terminal is an e-Mart, a large supermarket. Made my way there, was just loading my cart with unnecessary amounts of snack food when the smell of fresh pizza hit my nose. The in-store bakery just opened up and I found myself wondering how the Wagyu "crumble" and Bulgogi pizza might taste like. Next thing I know is me sitting in front of the store, cart full of things for which I don't have luggage space, eating said pizza. Not bad at all, rather sweet meat with a light spiciness, with lots of garlic (sure) and green peppers. Didn't find the Wagyu "crumble", but then again I wouldn't know what to look for anyway. Interestingly enough, the crust is covered with sweet potato purée, which - oddly - complements the soft crust very well. All in all a surprisingly pleasant breakfast. Now to find a Bulgogi Burger from Lotteria for lunch ...

IMG_1319.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG

• Like 6

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Breakfast BLT

Very odd looking tomatoes. I am assuming that that is what they are and not some exotic fruit.:o

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Very odd looking tomatoes. I am assuming that that is what they are and not some exotic fruit.:o

Definitely tomatoes.  A bit under-ripe. But tomatoes. Tasty ones.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Duvel said:

...Flight delay from Seoul to Hong Kong, so had some hours to kill.  Luckily, just one shuttle bus stop away from the Terminal is an e-Mart, a large supermarket.... 

I must say that's one of the best uses of flight delays I've seen - kudos!

it was 112°F here yesterday.  We got a cool-down to 80°F overnight, but it's already started to heat up again so at 6 AM,  a Paleta de Café con Leche was in order.

IMG_8251.thumb.jpg.aca5e732ef0a73ae7d4f55a5c660da54.jpg

• Like 7

I used to grow tomatoes , as many of us have

I recall that white line in the tomatoes might indicate a Ca deficiency 

or another deficiency  

I can't recall .

its not so much just under ripeness .  it does not go away.

I tried to look this up , as I recall getting on occasion

it might not vbe Ca so much as uneven weather conditions and watering.

it does not ' ripen out '

Edited by rotuts (log)