• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

364CB27B-39EE-452E-A7F4-95A02A8232A5.thumb.jpeg.ec40d85d589f8d249ce82b37bf69381e.jpeg

Sometimes the contents of one’s freezer can turn one into a culinary rebel.  Basmati rice, “ramen” eggs, a drizzle of soy sauce,  slick of butter and seasoned nori. But I am damned proud of those eggs.xD

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Was trying to make congee with left over Nando's rice but it did not cook the way I wanted, basically it became rice soup (I think they use parboiled rice).  Served with left over pork chop, fried egg.  And inspired by @Anna N, furikake sprinkles.  It was unexpectedly delicious.

IMG_0652.thumb.JPG.1ff9af35ede34bcb0a20343795f3a49e.JPG

• Like 4

20180612_080154.thumb.jpg.35b84eb377cd05d38eb25da110bb0422.jpg

Blueberry muffins, with an absolutely unhealthy amount of butter. Muffin s made with Greek yogurt to up the protein content, plus I needed to use the yogurt.

• Like 8

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Herbed Baked Eggs from the Moosewood Restaurant Table  with dill, parsley and garlic chives as the herbs and a bit of prosciutto, too.
IMG_8024.thumb.jpg.77964799761d6ecf94dd8cb6caabff21.jpg
I put some of the Alla Diavola Butter from Six Seasons on my toast and it spiced things up nicely.
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Ramen with baby bok choy that had been stir fried with garlic and ginger, and some black fungus (tree ears) left over from lunch yesterday. There were 3 slices of SV'd pork tenderloin somewhere in that bowl.

HC

IMG_0974.thumb.JPG.284150348636abf43cc5d4681fcac063.JPG

• Like 5

Per Thrillist, number 10 of Anthony Bourdain's 23 ESSENTIAL QUOTES ON FOOD, TRAVELING, AND LIFE is:

10. "THE WAY YOU MAKE AN OMELET REVEALS YOUR CHARACTER."

And for breakfast this morning, in honor of AB, though I don't really know what this reveals about my character, I made one. Actually, I made two; the other one was Significant Eater's, and it was what could be called more of a "country omelet" per Jacques, how she likes her eggs cooked. This one's for me - a classic French.

27895941877_6276af9892_z.jpg

The almost perfect one-egg omelet (Jacques would use 3). Fresh herbs from a neighbor's balcony garden, including chives, tarragon and thyme, and a bissel of cheese - Cracker Barrel sharp! 

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

13EED249-A627-4D97-814A-D4D70EC57341.thumb.jpeg.5a1e72a4ab71146891fe1f82c070990e.jpeg

From Nancy Singleton Hachisu’s Japanese Farm Food. Heirloom red lettuce salad with soy sauce.  This is a variation that she offers.

There is so much wrong with my interpretation but it is going into my notebook under “Rinse and Repeat with Modifications”.

My lettuce was certainly not heirloom and there is little I can do to change that fact. My eggs were indeed farm fresh and behaved somewhat differently than my last batch. 6 1/2 minutes was not quite enough this time. The “Japanese mayonnaise” was a cheat on my part. I used Hellmann’s with some added rice vinegar and a little sugar. This made it a little too runny and combined with the not-quite-ready eggs my plating looks like a dog’s dinner.  But it is an intriguing combination of flavours and I do intend to try it again.

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

A4A45688-894A-47E6-A5F5-386D89DE8F9A.thumb.jpeg.234432ec506961ad4a8aa701b80dd9a2.jpeg

I may be starting to “think” in Japanese. xD  I had some asparagus and a “ramen” egg from yesterday.  Sesame oil, sake and soy went into the cooking. A keeper is born. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

37 minutes ago, rotuts said:

And no Zooks !

suprise.gif.920808dd67fb5a38180b057d6bc20b68.gif

I have one in the refrigerator but to me it’s precious commodity.xD

My 2004 eG Blog

This breakfast is one of my "Whole 30" favorite concoctions.  Normally, I'd be perfectly happy with eclairs, pastry creme, or coffee. But due to a rise in BP, my doctor put me back on the diet yesterday.   So today we have a baked sweet potato drizzled with avocado oil and Jane's crazy salt, topped with a poached egg. I love the cascade of runny yolk!  It replaces (sort of) that deliciousness of butter. Or so I pretend it does. :P

IMG_2717.JPG

IMG_2719.JPG

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

6 minutes ago, ChocoMom said:

Normally, I'd be perfectly happy with eclairs, pastry creme, or coffee. But due to a rise in BP, my doctor put me back on the diet yesterday.   So today we have a baked sweet potato drizzled with avocado oil and Jane's crazy salt, topped with a poached egg. I love the cascade of runny yolk!  It replaces (sort of) that deliciousness of butter. Or so I pretend it does. :P

I absolutely loved that you made those eclairs for breakfast - on a Monday morning, no less, but I'll take a runny yolk or two over an eclair any day!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@blue_dolphin   I love a runny yolk, but I have a formidable sweet tooth that challenges my doctor's orders and the Whole 30. (Probably part of the reason my BP went up.)  

Even though it's summertime now- a time for fresh fruits, etc., my mind always wanders back to being a kid this time of year.  Driving up to Grayling from Detroit for our 3 week family vacation. Before getting to the cottage, we'd always stop at Goodale's Bakery in town, and load up on salt-rising bread and delicious pastries.  For the following few days, Daddy and I would get up early to indulge in the goodies before anyone else... and he'd let me dunk my pastries in his coffee.  

I know I need to man-up and behave better around sweets and pastries, but it's not easy! 

• Like 5

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

7 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Eggy bread (even my French mother calls it French toast despite it being neither French or toast).

At least you did not drown it in some sickly sweet syrup.xD

My 2004 eG Blog

A0EFE71D-7D82-49ED-AA0F-0B98FD728B4D.thumb.jpeg.78d1a754006ced29ff7bd0fd911be13e.jpeg

The vision:  a duck egg omelet filled with asparagus and mushrooms. 

The reality:  a duck egg frittatelet. 

Even the largest duck egg that I had was not going to accommodate the amount of filling I had prepped!   So I added some goat cheese and the chopped parsley that was meant as garnish and it became a mongrel. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog