• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

I bought asparagus specifically so that I could attempt this.   But as so often happens, life got in the way. By the time I was ready to use it and had acquired the tofu the asparagus was looking long in the tooth. It was certainly still edible but it was not going to make any sort of a showcase dish.  So today some of it went into a roasted asparagus omelet with shower of Parmesan.

1623A29F-D186-4796-BCD2-6B8BD1BEEA97.thumb.jpeg.4d051979d11fb6e2a63cc672af61970a.jpeg

The rest of the roasted asparagus will go into making a Japanese dish called ohitashi In which the roasted asparagus is marinated in soy and dashi.  Life is a never boring adventure. 

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, HungryChris said:

The catfish came to the surface, briefly, this morning. Just long enough to clean up the leftovers from a cold dinner last night along with the untouched berries I packed in Deb's lunch yesterday.

I'd say the contents of your refrigerator make for a very happy catfish :D!

My breakfast was also leftovers, Sugar Snap Pea and New Potato Salad with Crumbled Egg and Sardines from Six Seasons

IMG_7901.thumb.jpg.aa8bb98522f51b0afa65ee26d2617f84.jpg

Once again, I used the CSO's plate warming setting (125°F) to take the chill off the leftover salad while I boiled the egg.  

• Like 5

I was given a very generous gift card for a recent birthday and decided that I wanted to revive my interest both in Japanese food preparation and in Bento meals. There is a topic on Bentos on eG but it’s such a reminder to all that we lost Steven Shaw that I am reluctant to post there. 

So since I ate this for breakfast it’s going to be in the breakfast topic.   I know I got so many things wrong but that just means I can improve next time.xD

I will be carefully studying  all the expert past posts on how to pack a proper bento box.  

FF71CC47-2D3D-477B-BB86-52603191D14B.thumb.jpeg.da83c4ca8651c4700c1f9f1cbd30435a.jpeg

Cut up cherry tomatoes, pickled Asian pears, asparagus ohitashi, Chinese BBQ pork and rice with kimchi furikake. 

As an aside – – if your asparagus is no longer looking its best because life got in the way then I highly recommend this treatment. Roast or steam the asparagus and then marinate it in dashi, soy sauce and sugar. You can Google for recipes. Fresh asparagus cooked almost as soon as it comes home cannot be beaten.  Sometimes, however, the universe has other ideas. 

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Another good resource here on eG can be found in torakris's foodblogs from Japan as she shows lots of bentos for her kids and spouse as well as typical food presentation

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/52858-eg-foodblog-torakris-a-week-of-fun-in-japan/

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/65014-eg-foodblog-torakris-pocky-and-the-geisha/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

More leftovers for a sturdy,  monochrome meal:

IMG_7909.thumb.jpg.9644b79b82d21e19630495cbd306cfec.jpg

The Sautéed Turnips with Prunes and Radicchio from Six Seasons was seen in its first incarnation over here in the Six Seasons thread.  Today, it got reheated and topped with some semi-soft washed-rind Belgian Chimay Hiver cheese that I picked up a while back at Trader Joe's.  The funk of the melty cheese went well with the earthy turnips, bitter radicchio and turnip greens and sweet prunes.  This would be most suited to eating by the fire, washed down with a Belgian ale after a day of skiing but served its purpose for my breakfast, too!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 6

20 hours ago, Anna N said:

I was given a very generous gift card for a recent birthday and decided that I wanted to revive my interest both in Japanese food preparation and in Bento meals. There is a topic on Bentos on eG but it’s such a reminder to all that we lost Steven Shaw that I am reluctant to post there. 

So since I ate this for breakfast it’s going to be in the breakfast topic.   I know I got so many things wrong but that just means I can improve next time.xD

I will be carefully studying  all the expert past posts on how to pack a proper bento box.  

FF71CC47-2D3D-477B-BB86-52603191D14B.thumb.jpeg.da83c4ca8651c4700c1f9f1cbd30435a.jpeg

Cut up cherry tomatoes, pickled Asian pears, asparagus ohitashi, Chinese BBQ pork and rice with kimchi furikake. 

As an aside – – if your asparagus is no longer looking its best because life got in the way then I highly recommend this treatment. Roast or steam the asparagus and then marinate it in dashi, soy sauce and sugar. You can Google for recipes. Fresh asparagus cooked almost as soon as it comes home cannot be beaten.  Sometimes, however, the universe has other ideas. 

Looks like a meal I would love any time of the day.

did you make kimchi furikake?  I would love to learn the process

Breakfast sandwich.  Patty turned out too thick so I cut the top off and served it on the side.  Hamburger bun because that was all I had in the house.

IMG_0634.thumb.JPG.25abd56aedb176a4ca71d0bb7b5d92fd.JPG

• Like 7

2 hours ago, chefmd said:

Looks like a meal I would love any time of the day.

did you make kimchi furikake?  I would love to learn the process

Thank you. No I did not make the furikake.  There are some recipes online but none for kimchi flavoured furikake that  I could find. 

08397883-63E8-458B-8117-C2E726E757C7.thumb.jpeg.cb03ec753718957481d385c8facb5dc0.jpeg

My 2004 eG Blog

2E65E1D7-9D1E-48AC-A707-03E2F9E2DB73.thumb.jpeg.e91965560d01fa9300dbdaaac473b986.jpeg

“Ham ‘n’ Egg” bento breakfast. Father’s Ham seasoning over the rice. Egg marinated in a usually-discarded package of instant noodle seasoning, red pepper “flowers” and kimchi. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

@blue_dolphin  I like soy chorizo with bens and lentils. Do you prefer a prticular brand? I find some of chipotles en adobo also mix in well.

I bought the soy chorizo for the first time not long ago so I can't really compare brands.  I got the stuff from Trader Joe's and I'm quite pleased with it as an easy way to add a lot of flavor to a dish like beans. I plan to keep it on hand, probably parcel it out in ice cube trays and freeze so it's easy to grab a little.  It's pretty salty but I'm not eating a ton of it.  

Gingerbread pancakes from The Moosewood Restaurant Table, mango chunks and yogurt

IMG_7934.thumb.jpg.ce9d73d9c079cbdd8c473f3e1bd042dc.jpg

The cookbook includes a recipe for a lemon syrup to be served with these pancakes which sounded awfully sweet to me. Instead, I stirred some lemon zest into plain Greek yogurt and topped it with a few slivers of candied lemon peel. 

The flavor of these pancakes was good but my batter was much too thick to be poured on to the griddle.  Not sure what I did wrong but I'm not going to worry about it. 

IMG_7930.thumb.jpg.b78015b8c9f61991e52cda8df7bcb607.jpg

IMG_7933.thumb.jpg.54287b7f0b6685f24cdf8e34cf265e06.jpg

• Like 5

On 5/26/2018 at 8:29 AM, Anna N said:

I bought asparagus specifically so that I could attempt this.   But as so often happens, life got in the way. By the time I was ready to use it and had acquired the tofu the asparagus was looking long in the tooth. It was certainly still edible but it was not going to make any sort of a showcase dish.  So today some of it went into a roasted asparagus omelet with shower of Parmesan.

1623A29F-D186-4796-BCD2-6B8BD1BEEA97.thumb.jpeg.4d051979d11fb6e2a63cc672af61970a.jpeg

The rest of the roasted asparagus will go into making a Japanese dish called ohitashi In which the roasted asparagus is marinated in soy and dashi.  Life is a never boring adventure. 

@Anna N, you relish the adventure that life is, and I love watching you take big bites of it. ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Inspired by my suggestion here:

EEF76B2E-DFCD-4932-9AB7-4A74B85AB550.thumb.jpeg.d5ddbfa388222794b19edd0e737eb457.jpeg

A once-a-year or less treat of skillet toast with a schmear  of Marmite. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

A929E231-C1E6-49A7-84B4-E231B18863FC.thumb.jpeg.d755e8213d8dd042f793c21b7e893d82.jpeg

Inside out mushroom omelet.

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog