• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

528C666B-E178-4ACC-9CEA-566EB94E226D.thumb.jpeg.c1ab0ac4f23f06d65f38098b06d7fcb3.jpeg

Rice bowl with planned over Vietnamese chicken.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 5/7/2018 at 10:50 AM, Okanagancook said:

Kim, your eggs look nice and fluffy!  Fresh eggs are such a treat.

This morning I redid my wrap from yesterday but I used a rice wrapper to hold the stuffing.  It held together much better.  The sprouts are what really make it.

DSC02404.thumb.jpg.239e02130b9e59c4f3bd162d7be58286.jpgDSC02405.thumb.jpg.1734dd4229ddb58b74fac078faa42d42.jpg

That looks terrific, especially the sprouts!
We've been buying pea sprouts from the grocery store - grown in Saskatchewan. I find they've been too long in the stalks and not enough green. So, I've picked up packages of seeds and will now do my own sprouts. Grocery shelves seem to have just alfalfa.
From our Sobeys sushi bar, I've been picking up avocado rolls and they are terrific! It's a reverse of how you use the lettuce and rice paper. They made a great lunch for my friends when I hosted a Garden Party.

5af7019894735_AvocadoRolls0038.jpg.b845c54095652a9384732489a85732e0.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

5BBD4C0B-9B55-48A1-86FA-EC014EA4442C.thumb.jpeg.8b1efcfb784b810a5bca918b6c414823.jpeg

Breakfast noodles because I can.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Breakfast noodles because I can.

Me, too!

IMG_7786.thumb.jpg.de9f527a2c1350f67cf568698d1421f6.jpg

I was thinking of an asparagus omelet but @Anna N's post just above got me thinking noodles so linguine with asparagus, pancetta, black pepper butter and an egg.  A riff on Joshua McFadden's Pasta alla Gricia from Six Seasons where he calls for 4 oz of sugar snap peas/2 oz pasta/serving. I used the same proportions, but with asparagus......and added an egg to bring some sunshine to a foggy morning.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6DE740C7-0921-424A-97B4-F98EA5051D6E.thumb.jpeg.08940ea68aa33368204c37d67fcd99a9.jpeg

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

0E9C3190-3B22-40CD-99FC-65787E74A9FF.thumb.jpeg.5467c0a5ca6a1353f35837b21eaee515.jpeg

Spinach, mushrooms and mozzarella on a split and toasted mini pita with a side of pickled radishes.  

Edited by Anna N
To change pizza to pita (log)
  • Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Finding myself in town 20 minutes before a scheduled early morning meeting at a client's office, I opted to dash through the local McDonald's drivethrough and sit in their parking lot and eat a quick breakfast in the car. Didn't want a breakfast sandwich, wasn't in the notion for my usual apple pie and hash browns, so I ordered "maple nut oatmeal with fruit."

The fruit was diced apple and many, many raisins (and a few dried cranberries). Sweet enough, but not too sweet. It was almost decent. But dang, those people learn how to cook oatmeal with some salt! About half a packet of salt would have taken care of what ailed it; there was, of course, no salt packets to be found anywhere in my car.

I realize some people are on low-sodium diets and have restricted salt intake. Throw a packet in the bag for the rest of us, wouldja, McD's, please?

• Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

We have been out for few medals at friends and other events lately and I really am appalled at the lack of proper seasoning.  Do people not taste their food while cooking.  Especially our friends who are very much into food often under season.  Such a shame.  All that work and good ingredients.  And most people don’t put salt on the table.  When it is there I try to be stealth at salt my plate.  Maybe I shouldn’t be.

My rant is now over.9_9

• Haha 1

5afc5327ea80e_SourdoughBaguettesBakedMay15thDoughfromMay12th.thumb.jpg.c327c6a7df10a7aaa1f57f352491ec03.jpg

Baked three sourdough baguettes from the remaining batch of dough that had been in the fridge since Saturday.

The stone in the Oster only allows for a length of 16" . Formed two slightly longer so cut off the excess and made a couple of small rolls.

5afc533aeaaf7_SourdoughBaguettesBakedMay15thDoughfromMay12th2.thumb.jpg.3511a65814923c383c7a8e12b2a6cd5c.jpg

Sliced this morning for Moe's breakfast.

5afc532f0d98d_BeefDipSandwichMay16th2018.thumb.jpg.c7a9a90ba8e81a5377846c36711f7a9a.jpg

Beef Dip Sandwich made from last night's leftover NY strip roast.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

@Ann_T

outstanding " Meat & Potatoes & Trimmings "

of course its much more than that.

and fine looking bread

I can't recall if you do SV.

Id encourage you to try RedBoat40   on home-aging a steak or two

2 days in the refrig on a rack.

if you have not used RB40 , don't let its initial ' aroma ' put you off.

once cooked it has no resemblance to its initial extraordinary foul beginnings.

I can't seem to find the ref. to the method.  they used 3 days , I chicken out at 2.

cheers !

@rotutsNo, I don't do SV.   To be honest, the idea of SV is off putting to me.  Not just the additional time required to SV but also I can usually tell just by looking at a  picture when meat has been SV'd.  Texture looks different.

Not familiar with RB40 but will look into it.  Usually I will just presalt a day or two in advance for beef as well as chicken, pork and lamb. 

in your case

Id limit interest in SV to very tough cuts of meat , w good flavor

that then become ' rare and tender '

you might enjoy looking into RB40

I can't say its identical to Dry Aged 30 day beef , prime or choice

but after two days on a rack in the refrig

you won't notice the ' foul ' odor .  it goes away

Romans did a similar fermenting w sardines.

I can't say Id like Roman Empire Food :   I think they put honey on everything.

cheers again

• Like 1

@Okanagancook  we have meals a couple of times a year with a family who does not use salt and does not put it on the table because “it's not good for you”.  For some reason, salt's partner, pepper is also not invited to the party.  I always ask for both.  These people do not skimp on sugar loaded desserts though.  Go figure.  I’d rather have my salt than dessert.

• Like 4

A slightly deconstructed version of yesterday's Frijoles Puercos con Huevos from Nopalito

5afc7211a17ce_IMG_7815(1).thumb.jpg.a2b291b077a46d0513375a5d5f0923ed.jpg

Instead of scrambling the eggs with the bacon & chorizo before adding the beans, I simmered the pork & beans together first, then topped with a poached egg. Since the egg is cooked separately, it's not flavored by the pork like in the recipe, but it was still good and I got a runny yolk xD.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

For some reason, I've never even thought of putting an omelet in a sandwich. Must go out to buy some eggs. Oh! And bake some bread!

I’ve never thought of calling it an omelet sandwich. It’s usually been a toasted Western.xD

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

For some reason, I've never even thought of putting an omelet in a sandwich. Must go out to buy some eggs. Oh! And bake some bread!

:D  I've always called it an "omelet" sandwich, but it is a very particular omelet.  Very FLAT.  When I make an omelet NOT for a sandwich, I like them fluffy and beat a lot of air into the eggs.  Sandwich "omelets", on the other hand are just eggs that are dumped into a pan, stirred up a little and then allowed to cook - I drain off the wet egg under the cooked, flip it once sprinkle on a little filling (cheese, meat, etc.) and fold once.  Then I cut to fit my bread/roll/toast.   And my omelet would NEVER be a Western because it would never contain bell pepper. :wink:

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

:D  I've always called it an "omelet" sandwich, but it is a very particular omelet.  Very FLAT.  When I make an omelet NOT for a sandwich, I like them fluffy and beat a lot of air into the eggs.  Sandwich "omelets", on the other hand are just eggs that are dumped into a pan, stirred up a little and then allowed to cook - I drain off the wet egg under the cooked, flip it once sprinkle on a little filling (cheese, meat, etc.) and fold once.  Then I cut to fit my bread/roll/toast.   And my omelet would NEVER be a Western because it would never contain bell pepper. :wink:

Mine has onion, red pepper and ham - no cheese.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Inspired by the above discussion:

IMG_7833.thumb.jpg.da645ee11e35821b4c5a1747b9b855d9.jpg

Egg, salami, cheese cooked in a small skillet - my grandmother called this a "pancake egg" - on thin-sliced Dave's Killer bread "Good Seed"

Tomato chutney was applied after the photo

• Like 9