• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

21 minutes ago, kayb said:

@Anna N -- Inquiring minds want to know. What constitutes Danish style remoulade?

I was merely trying my best to differentiate it from Southern style remoulade.  This probably explains it better than I could.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Indian style sweet rice pudding, flavored with coconut milk, cardamom, cinnamon, mace, ginger, turmeric, anise. Plump juicy raisins. Toasted cashew and coconut chips.

IMG_20180406_132659.thumb.jpg.f82ec80e8fddfa2b5bfe4caf00fd1b56.jpg

• Like 5

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, shain said:

Indian style sweet rice pudding, flavored with coconut milk, cardamom, cinnamon, mace, ginger, turmeric, anise. Plump juicy raisins. Toasted cashew and coconut chips.

IMG_20180406_132659.thumb.jpg.f82ec80e8fddfa2b5bfe4caf00fd1b56.jpg

@shain, do you have a recipe link or text you can share for that pudding? I dearly love Indian style rice pudding, and that looks marvelous.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

28F8ECAA-9340-475A-9047-6AEFEB7F8216.thumb.jpeg.cf9acf9e04e246c8bf1a14e74ba21b1c.jpeg

Unphotogenic cheese omelet with salsa. 

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

17 hours ago, kayb said:

@shain, do you have a recipe link or text you can share for that pudding? I dearly love Indian style rice pudding, and that looks marvelous.

2/3 cup round rice

1.5 cups water

1 handful black raisins

1 cup coconut milk / cow's milk (I used half and half)

3 tbsp sugar (add according to taste)

1 teaspoon salt

1-1.5 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon fennel seed, grounded

seeds from 1/2 pod cardamom, grounded

1-1.5 teaspoon cinnamon

1/3-1/2 teaspoon mace (or nutmeg)

a small amount of black pepper

Cook rice and raisins in water until done to your liking, add water as needed, but keep it thick.

Add the coconut milk / milk, salt, turmeric and sugar to taste. Cook further or add water to reach desired thickness. 

Add spices and mix well.

Top with toasted cashew or coconut flakes.

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

10 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Home fries, scrapple, fresh salsa and scrambled eggs with grated parmesan cheese and diced ramp leaves from the garden.

HC

IMG_0338.thumb.JPG.5061b9af19c904073055dcc48569178b.JPG

So jealous about the ramps!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chefmd said:

So jealous about the ramps!

They are best suited for higher elevations, so here in CT, I have to let them propagate by not picking the bulbs, just the leaves. I do enjoy them very much!!!! They are a first celebration of spring.

HC

0DEC5DEA-AF09-46ED-84B8-653AAF4C20F8.thumb.jpeg.4ad708f558082389d253308bd10693e2.jpeg

Ham and egg cup sprinkled with grated gruyere and served with toast soldiers and some pear slices. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Breakfast today.

- Kaak Purse which is an old typical Levantine sesame type of bread. It is a street treat where the pocket is filled with Zaatar and shaken around before biting into it.

It is called Purse Kaak as the handle was large enough for children wrists to carry.

- Green Zaatar

- Green Onions

- Green Olives

- Tomatoes

- Cucumber 

- White Cheese

- Labneh and Olive oil not in the picture but part of the table.

Dessert was typical Aleppian fare with Rose Jam and White Cheese with the Kaak Purse.....we also eat it together with Cucumbers. However the original cheese should have been the Aleppian String Cheese......always a next time. To recap, the Aleppian treat is Rose Jam with flat bread and String Cheese with Cucumbers.

I know, I know Jam and cheese and Cucumbers.......but it is divine.

ixasvL6.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Winged a quick stir fry for breakfast this morning.

Pork tenderloin thinly sliced and marinated with Shao Hsing, cornstarch, and sesame oil and then cooked in peanut oil.

The remaining ingredients were onions, garlic, ginger, and a couple of Thai red chili peppers, stir fried in peanut oil and then 
Yu Chow Sum added, cooked for a minute or two, the pork added back to the wok along with a splash of chicken broth and 
some garlic chili sauce and a little Chinese black pepper sauce.

Simmered for a few minutes until the Yu Choy Sum was tender.

5ae8a7fde5272_PorkTenderloinwithyuchoysumMayst2018.thumb.jpg.c1ed3d111b689410e3d1e8cba5527a59.jpg

Didn't bother with rice or noodles. Will definitely make this again soon.

Saturday's breakfast.

5ae743ae5c2a6_GrilledPorkChopApril28th2018breakfast.thumb.jpg.b471e3f144a06b8271ea78ea467fe186.jpg
Grilled pork chops with potato gratin made with chicken broth, roasted butternut squash and sauted Yu Chow Sum with garlic.

• Like 8

On 4/30/2018 at 12:29 PM, shain said:

2/3 cup round rice

1.5 cups water

1 handful black raisins

1 cup coconut milk / cow's milk (I used half and half)

3 tbsp sugar (add according to taste)

1 teaspoon salt

1-1.5 teaspoon turmeric

1 teaspoon fennel seed, grounded

seeds from 1/2 pod cardamom, grounded

1-1.5 teaspoon cinnamon

1/3-1/2 teaspoon mace (or nutmeg)

a small amount of black pepper

Cook rice and raisins in water until done to your liking, add water as needed, but keep it thick.

Add the coconut milk / milk, salt, turmeric and sugar to taste. Cook further or add water to reach desired thickness. 

Add spices and mix well.

Top with toasted cashew or coconut flakes.

Made this this morning. I used chopped dates, as I don't care for raisins. It's wonderful! I would have NEVER thought of putting turmeric in rice pudding, but it adds a marvelous note to it. This will be breakfast for a few days!

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

20 hours ago, kayb said:

Made this this morning. I used chopped dates, as I don't care for raisins. It's wonderful! I would have NEVER thought of putting turmeric in rice pudding, but it adds a marvelous note to it. This will be breakfast for a few days!

I'm so happy to know that you enjoyed it. I've learnt to appreciate turmeric in sweets after sampling a drink of turmeric milk and honey a while ago. It works very well. 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

Scrapple and sliced leftover brussel sprouts, that I colored up in the same pan, an English muffin with ramp compound butter and fresh salsa. I happen to like both the price and flavor of Walmart imitation V-8.

HC

IMG_0430.thumb.JPG.4986bb299d7070f55d6adfc1aa814de9.JPGIMG_0431.thumb.JPG.ba60bd4cc4e06a2f60e53f925834fbc6.JPG

• Like 2

Moe's breakfast. Today.

5aec74c9ead16_MeatballonBaguetteMay4th2018.thumb.jpg.add3b496a46240eeafa05319cb08c876.jpg

Meatball sandwich on homemade baguette. Fried onions and green peppers and mozzarella cheese.

Baguette was warmed up in the steam oven, filled and put back into the steam oven for two minutes to melt the cheese.

Moe's breakfast - Yesterday.

I worked yesterday  so I made dinner for Moe's breakfast and I took the same for lunch.

5aec7542764cf_ChickenbreastsinamushroomsauceMay3rd2018.thumb.jpg.c5ca12a7ff6599d42f918fe5bcd67aea.jpg

Pan fried chicken breast, in a mushroom sauce.

• Like 6

AEFD7267-8B7A-4DC0-9ED1-0DF133327404.thumb.jpeg.3b176d21ddb92f43c2302da2df3bf6f3.jpeg

Untraditional and inauthentic three colour rice bowl. :P:o   Japanese rice, blanched sugar snaps, scrambled eggs, slivered ham and pickled ginger. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

English muffin with ramp compound butter, panko fried zucchini, scrapple and fresh salsa.

HC

IMG_0451.thumb.JPG.68db5eb52752dd35401250a2168eb05a.JPGIMG_0453.thumb.JPG.e9982eb242a18402249cb2049c6e35a5.JPG

I'll take half an english muffin please.

But where is your Kentucky Derby glass?????  :D