• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

11 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Back on U.S. soil before flying home.....

Ok then!   I misunderstood.  Sorry. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:50 PM, suzilightning said:

Welcome home!!!!

Where's the hot sauce?9_9

As a matter of fact, I made the solemn pledge to bring some Crystal hot sauce on the next one (March of next year). We still have a few days on the ship to go. "Going ashore" referred to a day on the private NCL island called Harvest Caye. We had a great time, starting with a cool little electric powered pram for two, with a canopy, on which we traveled around in a small lagoon with zip liners zipping by over head and manatees swimming by underneath. We spent the rest of the day in and out of a huge pool and cabana. Had some great fish tacos. Unfortunately, my new underwater camera needed to have the lens cleaned so the picture taking was a bust.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

As a matter of fact, I made the solemn pledge to bring some Crystal hot sauce on the next one (March of next year).

If I may ask, @HungryChris, what do the cruise staff offer when you ask for hot sauce?  They are usually so anxious to please but there will certainly be limits, depending on what they have available.

The other potential downside, in my experience, is that once you ask for any special something, you will be presented with it every day, often with a grand flourish, for the rest of the cruise so having to generate daily enthusiasm for an unpleasant hot sauce could certainly deter one from asking in the first place xD!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

A version of the Artichoke & Parmesan Galette from Smitten Kitchen Every Day, subbing in a polenta crust for the one in the book. 

Seems as if I did not do a good job vetting this book.:)

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Seems as if I did not do a good job vetting this book.:)

It's not revelatory, by any means, but the recipes seem solid. I haven't had any failures yet and have picked up some good ideas to play around with further.

I very much appreciate that it includes measurements in grams/mls in addition to cups/spoons in a clear and simple layout, something that so many authors/publishers seem to find it impossible, so kudos for that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

As a matter of fact, I made the solemn pledge to bring some Crystal hot sauce on the next one (March of next year). We still have a few days on the ship to go. "Going ashore" referred to a day on the private NCL island called Harvest Caye. We had a great time, starting with a cool little electric powered pram for two, with a canopy, on which we traveled around in a small lagoon with zip liners zipping by over head and manatees swimming by underneath. We spent the rest of the day in and out of a huge pool and cabana. Had some great fish tacos. Unfortunately, my new underwater camera needed to have the lens cleaned to the picture taking was a bust.

HC

OOPPPPS!!!!   Sorry, thought you guys were back to FL.......

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Cassoulet inspired dish.  Roasted chicken on the bottom, a layer of beans, topped with rye bread crumbs with some arugula mixed with the crumbs.  I know it is not cassoulet...

IMG_0529.thumb.JPG.5e2d80c07f23663c8e2b6cdcdeca8a7b.JPG

• Like 6

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

If I may ask, @HungryChris, what do the cruise staff offer when you ask for hot sauce?  They are usually so anxious to please but there will certainly be limits, depending on what they have available.

The other potential downside, in my experience, is that once you ask for any special something, you will be presented with it every day, often with a grand flourish, for the rest of the cruise so having to generate daily enthusiasm for an unpleasant hot sauce could certainly deter one from asking in the first place xD!

Tabasco is the only one they seem to offer, and is usually retrieved from decks below after a bit of a wait.

HC

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38B5FD21-C674-481B-B859-A4AB387AB4C4.thumb.jpeg.cca3ad7f53a5447612485ef19db99493.jpeg

Egg salad with scallions and chili-mayo on crispbread with a blood orange on the side. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Spaghetti pangrattato

Italian is not my favourite cuisine and that is the only excuse I’m going to give for needing to look this up. :)

But again, never a day goes by when I don’t learn a little something from eG. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Breakfast this morning on the last full day on the  ship was the usual suspects. I have to say, I am looking forward to the oysters and crawfish in New Orleans,

for a few more days and, ultimately, returning to my own kitchen.

HC

P3240163.thumb.JPG.b9089fba8b1b6506f4f90279489cfd8b.JPGP3240166.thumb.JPG.6581d504e47605b8aa0a0413067fcca6.JPGP3240167.thumb.JPG.7863c127ec8be8d15fd2a6b29fee86d0.JPGP3240168.thumb.JPG.86b3cbae0d893a6f31fcb2f7a13d4b3f.JPG

P3240169.thumb.JPG.d8e36a7a0e239a1f9795dc10db51f4d4.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris

Ive enjoyed the Food on your Cruise

as I thing you have

however

there is a bit of concern :

gp.jpg.af5f5483394ad70245cce3b90c3d3898.jpg

this can not be a Green Bell  w its cousin hiding behind that PoTat ?

Wow

just saying.

Let's just pretend it's a shiny lime.....or maybe a jalapeño .......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris

Ive enjoyed the Food on your Cruise

as I thing you have

however

there is a bit of concern :

gp.jpg.af5f5483394ad70245cce3b90c3d3898.jpg

this can not be a Green Bell  w its cousin hiding behind that PoTat ?

Wow

just saying.

I make no apologies, it's a green pepper, but they were lightly par boiled, I think, in a slightly sweet, but not unpleasantly so, seasoned broth that made them quite good. I believe the onions were given a similar treatment. I may have to do some experimentation, because I found them to be an interesting spin in combination with home fries, which were otherwise, uninteresting. Of course, some Crystal hot sauce would have helped.

HC

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Playing with my recent thrift store fing: egg rings.  Do I need perfectly round fried egg?  May be on hamburgers.  Did I have fun?  Oh yes.  Served over duck confit hash.

IMG_0532.thumb.JPG.4fc761df75766667cc1096c8bd12a97a.JPG

IMG_0534.thumb.JPG.799d1c3a73afadbb4140445a8b7f0783.JPG

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Do I need perfectly round fried egg?

Yes, if you want to make neat Egg McMuffins. :D

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

BF25682E-F097-4DD8-A2BA-8D08A1900AC4.thumb.jpeg.13beb25b77502758282b81ca83d4fa15.jpeg

Chicken salad – – why run with the crowd?

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Last meal on the ship, breakfast, this morning.

Deb had a yogurt and fresh fruit parfait.

P3250187.thumb.JPG.166d908e30caec10ab5afda6de7f0cda.JPG

I had the must starter, at least for me, with a bit of melon.

P3250190.thumb.JPG.cc234198a57f054c6d8b0f4ac9c42b7e.JPG

P3250191.thumb.JPG.5e3ba838a104d16e8554086b74ba3e78.JPG

Steak and eggs rare / OE, for me.

HC

P3250194.thumb.JPG.906823c5f6c113b87d1892a471f9a9ea.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 8

7787F75C-7532-4F6D-89E9-0A6C425DAE79.thumb.jpeg.2f09bb575850dcf15307958abb14c42c.jpeg

I saved some braised leeks from dinner, crushed some croutons into crumbs and then crowned that with a poached egg.  

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog