• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

@Kim Shook

A million years ago

when I was an  ' advanced scut dog and slave '

after Rounds

I used to sneak down to the Cafeteria

and get a fresh bagel and pass it though the toaster.

Id get a huge amount of cream cheese  ( you added that to your plate , before there were ' scales ' )

and two  ( one / bagel ) huge breakfast sausages  .  Soo good

those sausages were about the size of three or yours

then return and eat them reading the NYTimes

they had rocking chairs back then, and Id help myself to one.

until I had to deal with some sort of Fire.

Still alive , I am !

sadly , no maple syrup 

:sad:

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook

A million years ago

when I was an  ' advanced scut dog and slave '

after Rounds

I used to sneak down to the Cafeteria

and get a fresh bagel and pass it though the toaster.

Id get a huge amount of cream cheese  ( you added that to your plate , before there were ' scales ' )

and two  ( one / bagel ) huge breakfast sausages  .  Soo good

those sausages were about the size of three or yours

then return and eat them reading the NYTimes

they had rocking chairs back then, and Id help myself to one.

until I had to deal with some sort of Fire.

Still alive , I am !

sadly , no maple syrup 

:sad:

Some people (Mr. Kim) think the syrup is odd, but it comes from pancake and sausage breakfasts.  I even like a little syrup on my bacon!

• Like 3

FB9C4F4E-ECD2-42F2-9DB6-612C4A2A37CF.thumb.jpeg.7910314b64aa9f9ad5d496fcac2f73c2.jpeg

Goat cheese and caramelized onions on crispbread. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Crisp fried pork scrapple, American cheese, a fried egg and pickled turnips. Raw pickled turnips have a profound flavor and crisp texture profile. The crisp part only lasts about 2 months and these, pushing the envelope, had been moved to the expedited use program, which explains their unlikely appearance here. Time to make some more.

HC

IMG_2407.thumb.JPG.0895d7dd26ee2834458a70e9e15ab711.JPGIMG_2409.thumb.JPG.9aa995b5960ee8b57e7b0096fa4ded8b.JPG

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris

out of curiosity only

have you had scrapple that's not from Pork ?

slices seem on the thinner side

good idea

as soon as I get a decent tomato , its going to be SLT's for a while.

The supermarket I go to for scrapple, has both pork and beef. I am not a fan of the beef, at all. I chose some thinner slices because I wanted a crisp texture in the sandwich. SLT's sound like they may be worth a try.

HC

• Like 1

Fritters from leftovers:

IMG_7301.thumb.jpg.45668387392db19b48c48abc4f6a62d2.jpg

I had leftover filling from the Cabbage & Mushroom Hand Pies I made yesterday and leftover brown rice medley from the Broccoli & Wild Rice Fritters from lunch the other day so I mashed up the recipes and made Cabbage, Mushroom and Wild Rice Fritters.

Served with sour cream and apple mustard. 

• Like 8

66DA594C-1CBB-4698-BA7E-FCBB09E5A437.thumb.jpeg.ec94cce5d91c50c1a891e996cd2f83da.jpeg

Pickled herring on homemade pumpernickel with an appropriate chaser.  Sometimes it’s good to buck tradition. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

It's good to know that @Anna N is starting her day appropriately fortified xD

Me, too:  Bacon & parsnip fried rice topped with a crispy fried egg inspired by a riff on kimchi fried rice in Julia Turshen's Small Victories.

5aa167ff4f3de_IMG_7313(1).thumb.jpg.d9b3eb504534d322fdb851387d814cb5.jpg

Crisp up some diced bacon and reserve, brown diced parsnips in the bacon fat then add cooked rice (TJ's brown rice medley), the reserved bacon and a handful of parsley.

I added a crispy fried egg, 

• Like 9

944ECBC3-766E-4917-BB0A-BBDF40A2E650.thumb.jpeg.dba1c8538f6bd04a98b089780915703e.jpeg

I can also be very WASP. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

15 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I hope you lick that plate !

Sssshhhhhh.  

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I avoid all that extra work by shoveling the whole yolk into the mouth , one yolk at a time.

money-mouth.gif.4557e9055576867ea5cc44209f772fd9.gif

That was my husband’s MO!  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

9 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Grilled corned beef, Swiss and kimchi Reuben with pickled turnip roll-ups.

Those turnip roll ups look amazing!  

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

22 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Those turnip roll ups look amazing!  

Thanks, Anna. Some years ago, I had a falafel sandwich that had pickled turnips in it and I loved it. I have been making them ever since. They are at their best when they are nice and crunchy and that means you have to use them up quickly.

HC

• Like 1

2C044AAE-D04F-433F-B9D1-1405BD2608D7.thumb.jpeg.5ee701af6f82282b62bc881b0a46db9d.jpeg

Reheated leftover vegetables with a drizzle of sesame oil and the last of my homemade cheese and onion tartlets. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1
  • Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog