• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

A4666E2C-0485-4ACC-8EBD-F64740C793A4.thumb.jpeg.15047cb0ba29367e8f7b58d481e75c10.jpeg

Goat cheese mixed with some sautéed shallots and a smidgen of honey spread on Wasa crispbread and then topped with grapes that were roasted with a hint of rosemary. (I used light rye Wasa  which is a pretty neutral flavour but adds the needed crispy texture). 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@Ann_T, I just ate and you're still killing me with those cheddar & bacon toasts on your glorious homemade bread.  Sigh. 

A riff on the Polenta Baked Eggs with Corn, Tomato and Fontina from Smitten Kitchen Every Day 
IMG_7249.thumb.jpg.ee7352de279e6e303adb64a1d6ab297a.jpg
I made the polenta in the Instant Pot - pot-in-pot method, using the same little oven-proof dish that I baked and served in. 

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Ann_T, I just ate and you're still killing me with those cheddar & bacon toasts on your glorious homemade bread.  Sigh. 

A riff on the Polenta Baked Eggs with Corn, Tomato and Fontina from Smitten Kitchen Every Day 
IMG_7249.thumb.jpg.ee7352de279e6e303adb64a1d6ab297a.jpg
I made the polenta in the Instant Pot - pot-in-pot method, using the same little oven-proof dish that I baked and served in. 

If you will top plain (or cheesy) polenta with stewed tomatoes from Deep Run Roots, add tge eggs, a little Parmigiano and some strips of proscuitto....

Well, just try it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

24 minutes ago, kayb said:

If you will top plain (or cheesy) polenta with stewed tomatoes from Deep Run Roots, add tge eggs, a little Parmigiano and some strips of proscuitto....

Well, just try it.

I certainly loved the baked eggs with stewed tomatoes and prosciutto chips from Deep Run Roots and I can imagine that putting that on top of polenta would be delicious! I am committed to making those stewed tomatoes on a large scale this year!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I certainly loved the baked eggs with stewed tomatoes and prosciutto chips from Deep Run Roots and I can imagine that putting that on top of polenta would be delicious! I am committed to making those stewed tomatoes on a large scale this year!

FWIW, I made them up to the point of adding the bread crumbs, and canned them. When I open a jar, I dump it in a saucepan and add the bread crumbs.

Life made simpler.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

D719FDB9-8C9D-4ADC-94BC-C99F9002AB38.thumb.jpeg.4b87542d67a645f8a1b4e2d9d65dfb2e.jpeg

Not very photogenic but very tasty. Caramelized onions, blue cheese and dried figs on a multi grain mini baguette half. 

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

0C2B65C7-C900-4332-B81A-95514A66AF31.thumb.jpeg.323bda83a6e88e4ed6422b8e5e468ac4.jpeg

Creamy leeks and scrambled eggs on crispbread and some black grapes. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

We were inspired by the recipe for marmalade in Patisserie, an amazing cookbook by 2 Curleys.  It calls for 2 oranges and 1 lemon.

I really love white grapefruit, we're searching for alternative ideas to use in panna cotta so my wife said we should try a marmalade made out of white grapefruit.   We made this from one white grapefruit by removing the rind, and any pith from the rind, chopping the rest of the fruit into chunks, slivers of clean rind goes into a cheesecloth bag and everything along with water and sugar goes into a pot for ~2 hours.  Strain out the solids, and put the liquid along with the rind into a new pot - heat until 218F, we had to add a little pectin to get it to firm up, toss in a little lemon juice for additional acidity and a pinch of salt:

20180304_075604.thumb.jpg.61c223d1e66442cef4f95c159fadef49.jpg

Result ~3 cups of white grapefruit marmalade that is amazing on toast. Alas while amazing on toast it's a bit too harsh to use in a panna cotta.  

Going to try my grenadine trick using my spinzall - remove all the solids and then heat and add sugar.  But at least this turned into happy breakfast!

• Like 7

0D58F7FB-5CF5-4C2B-A091-6CB7227A37D0.thumb.jpeg.5243854699b217118806768d6ba9971a.jpeg

Crispbread with caramelized onions and blue cheese and a few black grapes. Every cook needs a stash of caramelized onions. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Broccoli Melts from Smitten Kitchen Everyday.  

IMG_7275.thumb.jpg.a8b5524081b3e7afe547308f01c305e4.jpg

Broccolini, garlic, red chile flakes, melted anchovy, sautéed in olive oil, tossed with pecorino, lemon juice and zest, piled on toast and topped with grated gruyere.  

I made this as a light supper while watching the Oscars last night and repeated it for breakfast.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

Broccoli Melts from Smitten Kitchen Everyday.  

I dismissed this book as uninteresting. Now that you have started cooking from it I’m beginning to wonder if that was a hasty judgement. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

On 02/03/2018 at 9:43 AM, blue_dolphin said:

@blue_dolphin I need to make this.  Something I know both Moe and I would like.

5a9d8130635d6_CajunStyleCountryRibsMarch5th2018.thumb.jpg.dfeab2cd1df332439f232b9ab90f6a3e.jpg

Cajun Country Pork Ribs for breakfast.

Not very pretty.  Tastes much better than it looks. 

This is recipe I have made for years, adapted from one of Paul Prudhomme's recipes.

Served with rice and blackened green beans.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

I dismissed this book as uninteresting. Now that you have started cooking from it I’m beginning to wonder if that was a hasty judgement. 

I bought the book because it's this month's book in the Food52 Cookbook Club.  I enjoy Deb Perelman's writing and have tried enough of her recipes from the blog that I figured it wouldn't be a complete bust.  Neither did I expect to be overwhelmed with inspiration.

So far, I've been pleasantly surprised.  I've got a list of recipes that I'm looking forward to trying and I'm adding to that list as I see recommendations from other group members.

It's a very accessible book, no particularly difficult-to-source ingredients or complicated preps.  In spite of that ease, the recipes I've tried deliver pretty well in the flavor/texture/interest department. 

It's not a cookbook that absolutely inspires me to cook but so far, I've found easy (and easily adaptable) recipes that are different from my usual same-old preps so I don't regret buying it. 

Stay tuned throughout the month and you'll see more :D as I'll be using it often.

• Thanks 1