• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

9 hours ago, chefmd said:

Polenta, bacon, egg.  Polenta was cooked with dark stock (IP pot in pot method) so it looks more brown than yellow.

IMG_0473.thumb.JPG.de0f34341e7b797e97b27d759cebf0a3.JPG

Those are grits. :cool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

This local diner still doesn't compare to NJ, thankfully I ordered the hasbrowns "well done" but they have Taylor ham and egg sammiches so I'm a happy camper

IMG_4374.JPG

• Like 4

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

AEFC8C5C-A0B0-499D-90F1-8AFF8EA83256.thumb.jpeg.e5efd76b648d70ef5512beb058877201.jpeg

Store- bought Jamaican patty with home-made blue cheese coleslaw. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Poached egg on rye toast, pork scrapple, fresh salsa and Campari tomatoes. I have noticed that this time of year, the Campari tomatoes, which are pretty good all winter, start to deliver an extra summer like punch that is so welcome.

HC

IMG_2183.thumb.JPG.f54642cc952c6eaa8ac316d13a64d4d0.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 7

I made up a batch of the Maple-Sage Breakfast Sausage from The Food Lab and treated myself to an egg and sausage on a roll to test it out. 

IMG_7120.thumb.jpg.eff6cbb546b6b22a47ffaf5183f24f0b.jpg

This sausage is some tasty stuff - you actually grind up some slab bacon (instead of pork fat) along with the fresh pork so the result is almost a cross between sausage & bacon. I shaped it into some 2 oz patties, perfect for breakfast sandwiches and some 4 oz portions that I can pull out of the freezer for other uses.   Sausage rolls, anyone? 

IMG_7117.thumb.jpg.4af8b7e18ca837b96046c7bd9b7e6eba.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

12 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

That is one tasty looking sandwich.  I think I need to make that recipe.  Thanks.

Kinda the best of the breakfast meat world - bacon & sausage all in one!

On its own, the sausage was a little salty for my taste but it was fine on the sandwich. I suspect that saltiness will vary depending on the bacon used. 

8618D3C9-549C-413C-A442-FA8FABDD2CDF.thumb.jpeg.c30fcfbec8ec109992842e32fff14376.jpeg

Burrito. Ancient grains tortilla, scrambled egg, scallion, sharp cheddar and salsa. 

• Like 13

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

really hungry this morning and tons of chores to do today.... small bowl of tomato fennel soup with an open faced sandwich of lacey swiss and Black Forest ham on swirled pumpernickel.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

A small bowl of vegetable beef soup with a slice of buttered swirl pumpernickel bread.  Just the right thing for a coldish morning.  

I'm going to put a pan of baked oatmeal in the oven later for tomorrow's breakfast ... after shoveling snow AGAIN.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

EC0FAA54-86D7-4DB9-95D8-1721789862A9.thumb.jpeg.fd5bde057b995c4fa8a304f74e95899c.jpeg

Wheatberry breakfast bowl with mushrooms, spinach, radishes and a crispy fried egg. 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

38 minutes ago, Anna N said:

EC0FAA54-86D7-4DB9-95D8-1721789862A9.thumb.jpeg.fd5bde057b995c4fa8a304f74e95899c.jpeg

Wheatberry breakfast bowl with mushrooms, spinach, radishes and a crispy fried egg. 

H'mm. Would have never thought to put radishes with that. But I have yet to find anything which which radishes are NOT good.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, kayb said:

H'mm. Would have never thought to put radishes with that. But I have yet to find anything which which radishes are NOT good.

It needed crunch and colour and I had radishes that needed to be used up. Not sure it works particularly well but…

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

9CE374C9-EC42-483C-8960-25B00EF948C8.thumb.jpeg.cb24fb938b9d653d9403c43fbd335004.jpeg

BLT wrap in an ancient grains tortilla. I am still working out the technical differences between a wrap and a burrito. xD

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

9A095FCB-E02C-4570-B295-C9C82260A1CB.thumb.jpeg.ba700003aa6c3361d91a5c379ab78bf6.jpeg

Cheese and apple quesadilla with sour cream and salsa.

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog