• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

On 2/4/2018 at 3:34 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Can you describe your recipe a bit more - how do you stuff a fresh off the tree lime into the toast? My own lime tree is loaded!

I used about 3oz of cream cheese, a tablespoon of brown sugar and the zest and pulp from 1 lime...if I'd had any apricot jam it would have been simply that and the cream cheese and could have had double the filling really for the 2 sandwiches. 

• Thanks 1

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Got some farm fresh eggs last night, so I went with cheddar grits and sunny side up eggs

IMG_4352.JPG

IMG_4356.JPG

• Like 9

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

We have painters in.  Almost every room in the house is being painted/drywall repaired.  I am sitting the entire day today in the dining room, pounding down Mt. Dew to keep awake.  I snuck into the kitchen and made a quick breakfast:

DSCN8029.JPG.f736404ba8e221b62d15ae76d44aa8c9.JPG

English muffins w/ strawberry jam and some Jimmy Dean sausage from the freezer.   zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 7

The painters are still here.  I'm pretty sure they’ve moved in.  I find myself sitting in the dining room all day.  The only two rooms available to me this week are the dining room and the kitchen.  So I’m sitting at the computer and eating too much.  As a rule, I don’t eat breakfast.  Or, if I do, it is one of only 2 meals a day since I eat it late in the morning.  The painters arrive at 7:30am, so I’m finding myself bored and hungry by 9am.  So far, I’ve gained 3 pounds this week>:(.  I’m resisting today, but this was breakfast yesterday:

DSCN8029.JPG.0a492071a252cfdf674b8e9a34cab988.JPG

English muffin w/ strawberry jam and more Jimmy Dean sausage.  This sausage is one that you buy already cooked – you can heat it in a skillet or just microwave it.  It was recommended by Cooks Illustrated some time ago and I tried it.  I don’t like it as well as the Neese’s that I get in NC, but it is actually very good, if you fry it.  And with my house in the mess that it is, something I don’t have to go to lengths to prepare is good right now.

• Like 7

Celery Salad with Feta and Soft-Boiled Egg from Ottolenghi's Plenty More. Of course, I love a recipe that asks me to put an egg on it! 

IMG_7084.thumb.jpg.0e2a0edb8a59ebbcdacc16b0e37eb8b8.jpg
Cutting the supremes from a very, very seedy lemon was the only annoying part of the prep. I had reservations about the green bell pepper, it was fine. I subbed a yellow manzano pepper for the green chile called for because I am in love with them at the moment. Otherwise, it was by the book.

• Like 8

F73925F1-E93A-4795-990E-9BE8C1172A3A.thumb.jpeg.fccadf679dfe3fd8a01f90845949e2e1.jpeg

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, chefmd said:

Corned beef hash and fried egg.  I am out of my pre portioned sous vide corned beef and it makes me sad.  

IMG_0471.thumb.JPG.297993449d21cce9dc56e655f5ff7941.JPG

If it meant no more breakfasts like that, I'd be sad, too.

Just now, Anna N said:

F73925F1-E93A-4795-990E-9BE8C1172A3A.thumb.jpeg.fccadf679dfe3fd8a01f90845949e2e1.jpeg

This, however, makes me happy.

I have had orange juice and coffee. I'm about to make a grocery run (because I am out of EVERYTHING, including laundry detergent, and I have no clean underwear!), and I will contemplate breakfast at that point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

leftover Pepe's Pizza , from here :

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/156033-lunch-whatd-ya-have-2018/?page=6&tab=comments#comment-2140011

I know , leftover pizza ?       

O.o

room temp :

5a7f0269ac609_PPPBr.thumb.jpg.4c2949ff8da2086db13f03df269f637c.jpg

I was going to heat them up in the CSB on Steam-Broil , but said no

the garlic clam was even good !   although those little clams were a bit chew-y

the bacon was outstanding

as good as it gets

if you get to Pepe's ever

take home a Bacon for Breakfast !

P.S.:  please be aware , if you try this at home , that day old garlic has real staying power !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

leftover Pepe's Pizza , from here :

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/156033-lunch-whatd-ya-have-2018/?page=6&tab=comments#comment-2140011

I know , leftover pizza ?       

O.o

room temp :

5a7f0269ac609_PPPBr.thumb.jpg.4c2949ff8da2086db13f03df269f637c.jpg

I was going to heat them up in the CSB on Steam-Broil , but said no

the garlic clam was even good !   although those little clams were a bit chew-y

the bacon was outstanding

as good as it gets

if you get to Pepe's ever

take home a Bacon for Breakfast !

P.S.:  please be aware , if you try this at home , that day old garlic has real staying power !

I love cold, leftover pizza for breakfast.

I also love it re-heated with a runny egg on top.

• Like 4

I still had two mini baguettes left from Tuesday. Should have frozen a few but didn't.

So needless to say they were not fresh.  But the CSO to the rescue.   I put one of them in the CSO on Steam bake at 375°F for 4 minutes

and it came out of the oven like it had just been baked.   Warm and soft on the inside and the crust was crackly. 

5a7f0a7d02631_MeatballSandwichFebruary10th2018.thumb.jpg.6c243475c53b79a6f24b2204a9958d2d.jpg

Made Moe a meatball sandwich for breakfast.

• Like 13

At Thursday''s farmers market, I splurged on a basket of beautiful strawberries from Harry's Berries.

IMG_7096.thumb.jpg.cddc56bc464b639a365021213ad03e02.jpg

Then,  I used the recipe for Light and Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits from Salt Fat Acid Heat and treated myself to a shortcake.

IMG_7100.thumb.jpg.0091ba5a06d1a2dda4fe500c26b53ed3.jpg

I added a just a little sugar and a dribble of artisanal balsamic vinegar to the berries. Plain, unsweetened whipped cream.  

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

2 hours ago, robirdstx said:

F292ECC9-FB1D-4A21-9794-B4C9F57F4DB0.thumb.jpeg.9426e5fa6c80d8ca5e5c9ca8a380ea4c.jpeg

I had thawed this flounder yesterday, but then did not feel like having it for dinner, so fried it up for breakfast this morning.

@robirdstx.....Oh that brings back so many, many memories!!  When I would go out to visit my mom one morning our breakfast would be fried flounder(she always dredged in cornflake crumbs), the pound of bacon that was tried out to get the fat to fry it in, boiled potato(just in case there was a stray bone or two) with butter and parsley and lima beans.   Hard to believe it's 27+ years she has been gone....

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites