• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

F79DB03F-8968-4B2B-92D8-7F99056FB1E5.thumb.jpeg.e0ce4231d1328b1ec0fa52e841706ff8.jpeg

A slice of this pork belly made it into this :

73BADAA4-B227-4148-9C91-92F502B4C175.thumb.jpeg.d3844a76efa5af03ddf005c259cd8f6e.jpeg

Hash with potatoes, pork belly, 

leftover caramelized onions and an egg. 

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

F79DB03F-8968-4B2B-92D8-7F99056FB1E5.thumb.jpeg.e0ce4231d1328b1ec0fa52e841706ff8.jpeg

73BADAA4-B227-4148-9C91-92F502B4C175.thumb.jpeg.d3844a76efa5af03ddf005c259cd8f6e.jpeg

I would like this multiple times if I was allowed to.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/18/2018 at 7:59 AM, rotuts said:

Brk.thumb.jpg.cfc7cef221dba9233d1ae43dc37f8772.jpg

remarkable breakfast :

a left over baked potato ( CSO  450 SB  until very crispy )  cut in 1/2 , butter , green onion , slice of SV Beef , rare

this was made the night before , then cooled and refrigerated as a left-over.  No Worries I had a few for dinner !

micro from refrig 45 seconds

I was surprised how good this was. potato skin was not crisp of course , but had fine flavor.  potato very fluffy.

from now on , Im always going to fill up the CSO w russets so I can make a few of these for the days to come.

a little fresh green onion will be nice here.

FYI...a poached egg inside that baked potato would be a fine thing. Just saying.

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Oh, dear sweet baby Jesus. Just kill me now. I WANT that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@blue_dolphin

What a great way to use that mayonnaise. I have all the ingredients now but I don’t think it’s going to get made. I think I bit off more than I can honestly chew so it will have to wait for another day. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Anna N said:

@blue_dolphin

What a great way to use that mayonnaise. I have all the ingredients now but I don’t think it’s going to get made. I think I bit off more than I can honestly chew so it will have to wait for another day. 

Thank you!  I was quite pleased with myself for thinking of it before the mayo went off entirely!   It would probably make a nice chicken salad, too, but it absolutely shines with seafood, especially since I added extra lemon juice.  I may try crab next....

• Like 1

D18D5827-4E10-4F48-AF74-8DA6EFEE6C53.thumb.jpeg.2e88af08bab3794a87436c92b36c40f7.jpeg

Leftover pork belly and leftover caramelized onions re-heated briefly in the CSO (Cuisinart steam oven) and served on home-made bread. 

It occurred to me as I assembled and then ate this that caramelized onions might be the best condiment one could keep on hand.  They perk up just about anything savoury.  I am quite sure many others have reached the same conclusion many times over. :)

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

D18D5827-4E10-4F48-AF74-8DA6EFEE6C53.thumb.jpeg.2e88af08bab3794a87436c92b36c40f7.jpeg

Leftover pork belly and leftover caramelized onions re-heated briefly in the CSO (Cuisinart steam oven) and served on home-made bread. 

It occurred to me as I assembled and then ate this that caramelized onions might be the best condiment one could keep on hand.  They perk up just about anything savoury.  I am quite sure many others have reached the same conclusion many times over. :)

Before my daughter the super-smeller moved in with me and limited some of the cooking I can do, I used to caramelize a five-pound bag of onions at a time. I'd slice them, pack them in the Crockpot, sprinkle a little salt, and lay a stick of butter on top, and let them cook for 18 hours on low. Perfect caramelized onions. I'd put them in one-cup portions in plastic bags and freeze them, and pull them out for whatever dish I wanted. It was wonderful to be able to make French onion soup without having to caramelize the onions, among other things.

I can tell you that this procedure, if you start your onions shortly after dinner, will result in a VERY pungent house about 3 a.m. Just sayin'.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

1 hour ago, kayb said:

I can tell you that this procedure, if you start your onions shortly after dinner, will result in a VERY pungent house about 3 a.m. Just sayin'.

I did try that once but I was not happy with the results. Might’ve been operator error. Might’ve been crockpot error.  Might just have been different strokes for different folks. But in the end I decided that I liked the long, slow, pay attention  stove top method better.  But thanks all the same for sharing. 

My 2004 eG Blog

16 hours ago, Anna N said:

I did try that once but I was not happy with the results. Might’ve been operator error. Might’ve been crockpot error.  Might just have been different strokes for different folks. But in the end I decided that I liked the long, slow, pay attention  stove top method better.  But thanks all the same for sharing. 

An open roasting pan in the oven is a nice compromise between the two techniques. I've done it at 350 F but apparently it works at a pretty wide range of other temperatures. You don't have the risk of scorching that comes with a moment's ill-timed inattention on the stovetop, and you don't get the oddly mushy texture of the onions from a crock pot. Just stir 'em every 30 minutes at the start, shortening to 10-15 minutes as they get closer to done. I found it easier, and it left me time to do other things in between stirs. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

D15081F8-43D8-4F79-BFF4-6D011A7B5D72.thumb.jpeg.c3e6b6de82ef3482ced67da1ae6fb14a.jpeg

Salad.  It’s not just for lunch. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Throwback breakfast. Biscuits, bacon, sorghum molasses creamed with a pat or two of butter. To have been historically accurate, should have been accompanied by scrambled eggs and a dish of canned tomatoes, but I wasn't in the notion for that.

And it seems I managed to turn on some goofy filter on the cell phone camera, too.20180122_082343.thumb.jpg.f2ad05d41acb3769f6f9de8c830b676b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

On 22/01/2018 at 1:00 PM, kayb said:

Throwback breakfast. Biscuits, bacon, sorghum molasses creamed with a pat or two of butter. To have been historically accurate, should have been accompanied by scrambled eggs and a dish of canned tomatoes, but I wasn't in the notion for that.

And it seems I managed to turn on some goofy filter on the cell phone camera, too.20180122_082343.thumb.jpg.f2ad05d41acb3769f6f9de8c830b676b.jpg

It's an interesting effect, like mouldy spinach doused in Pepto-Bismol. 

• Haha 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Like, @kayb, I will occasionally take the time to do a huge slow cooker batch of caramelized onions.  I pack them into small containers and freeze.  What a luxury it is knowing that I have already prepared onions to add to anything I like.

We had a guest this weekend.  Saturday breakfast:

DSCN7904.JPG.1dc944576767eafeaa488ade7a518118.JPG

Panettone French toast, country ham and eggs.

For Sunday brunch, I made Breakfast Pockets:

DSCN7907.JPG.3818f10130acfeb978152a8491fafb63.JPG

Whomp biscuit crusts with a filling of sausage, cheese, hashbrowns and eggs:

DSCN7908.JPG.ea9b080d63f39b470b0821fbe709f13b.JPG

Candied bacon:

DSCN7906.JPG.0611a6cc02b131e0a2588a45b808150d.JPG

And some doughnuts from our favorite place:

DSCN7905.JPG.70a44ebf726a0aac7c72bd18875ad1e5.JPG

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2