• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! 2018

chefmd

Well I gave this my best shot. I’m glad I tried it… once. It certainly gave my ceramic nakiri a good workout. 

B5556B6A-6AC4-4AA3-8884-51BFF66FDA6A.thumb.jpeg.7ce9be3d83f2dc7d28e9da4094be4b1b.jpeg

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I really, really wanted to do scrambled eggs in a bread case but I don’t see that happening in the near future. And today I really wanted to fool around with scrambled eggs sous vide. 

Three eggs, 1 tablespoon each cream, milk, melted butter and salt pepper.  Whisk together and put into resealable bag.  Evacuate as much air as possible using Archimedes principle and then sous vide for 15 minutes at 75°C squishing the eggs around in the bag every five minutes. Delicious.  Various sources give credit to Heston Blumenthal for this recipe but I couldn’t really confirm that he actually did them sous vide.   But if he deserves the credit then I’m happy to give it to him. 

CF91A123-5F55-45C4-B7A1-E04041F71EB4.thumb.jpeg.339a78776e2220fa58156808036c4888.jpeg

If you are a fan of creamy scrambled eggs and of sous vide then you need to try this. :) (No stuck-on-egg pan either.)

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

interesting.

just this AM I pulled out some older HB videos I have and will look them over

I have most of them.   

" How to Cook like Heston " is in the Cards for now.

Im not a big fan of adding milk to eggs.   

how do you imagine SV  w just butter and salt ?

i use a very low temp on a T-Fal non-stick pan.

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

interesting.

just this AM I pulled out some older HB videos I have and will look them over

I have most of them.   

" How to Cook like Heston " is in the Cards for now.

Im not a big fan of adding milk to eggs.   

how do you imagine SV  w just butter and salt ?

i use a very low temp on a T-Fal non-stick pan.

You might find this  an interesting read.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Leeks with Anchovy and Soft Boiled Eggs from Six Seasons. p 108.

5a52596176b0b_IMG_6748(1).thumb.jpg.3e2248d08162b79443b0a0fc4570cb2c.jpg

I started the leeks in the CSO on steam-bake @ the recipe temp of 425°F and they cooked more quickly than I expected (maybe they are smallish...) so I had to drop the temp so they could cook through without getting too black on top. That bit of crispy char on the outside turned out to be a nice contrast to the softer center of the leeks and that lemon & anchovy dressing brings brightness and depth at the same time - really delicious! 
After I took the photo, I realized I forgot to add the dry bread crumbs. They added a nice crunch but since I served this with crispy toast on the side, it wasn't absolutely necessary.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I love Leeks

I buy them from the Farmers Market in my town's Common

[ed.: An Eastern Blue State thing !  Long Live the Blues !  money-mouth.gif.c959381ff470b18e7763bba0c3d44d87.gif ]

then forget about them.

what an Idiot I Am !

I used to have the same problem. But think about this. Have you ever eaten raw leeks?   If you clean them, chop them, dry them in the salad spinner, spread them on a cookie sheet or equivalent and stick them in the freezer for an hour you can then bag them and pour out as many as you need when you need them.  Works for me. No more slimy leeks that I forgot in the crisper. 

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

correct as Usual.

I keep the Leeks in a quart container near he window as i do with scallions  

I used the tops as I use the tops of scallions for garnish

w the IP   next year

or many years after that

i can see these leeks  in the fall from the Commons

either   cleaned and Fz

w the VacChamber

and used for iPot soup in the winter

w of course a few rasher of Bentons Bacon!

• Like 2

1 slice of Portuguese sweet bread, miracle whip, cranberry sauce and thin sliced turkey breast...........makes me really, really happy.  Added a small salad of red chard leaves, minced up Persian cucumbers and a light vinaigrette. Course I had the same thing for dinner last night but added some Mr. Ron's coleslaw to it just for the vegetables.xD

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Had Ronnie's kids and two grandkids over to have our Christmas today.  

I made brunchy food.  

I about had a major crisis.

My oven has some kind of a short in it....and it's been like this for about a year.  It's in the electronics that displays the time...and lets you set the oven temp etc.  It just turns off for no reason.  If you beat the crap out of it, it comes back on...then it shuts off after a while and so on.  Which is why I rely heavily on the CSO and the Breville ovens.  Anyway, I needed to make a full size casserole today so I had to use the oven.  Mr. Oven decided to be an extra pain in the ass and shut off a million times.  ARRRGH.  But, in the end the casserole was a success.  

From scratch white cake cupcakes--I don't know why I don't make these more often.  Well, yes I do.  But dang they are good.

IMG_3966.JPG.8c2cd98cca1b3153f1c8abe9b6ff9b7a.JPG

Christmas cookies that did wonderful in the freezer until today

IMG_3967.jpg.e97ad1e4631e7c0fccaf3390c08b485b.jpg

Dried beef cheese ball

IMG_3968.JPG.b0b417f01ce43f6adee340af25952717.JPG

Tater tot/ham/ Hatch chile breakfast casserole

IMG_3970.JPG.adddfb0bbf686fb70647b9c977d71529.JPG

Sausage gravy

IMG_3969.JPG.8fc92873fca538c13414736cc4701c39.JPG

Biscuits

IMG_3971.JPG.a387df8093281122ddf2f4bfbd279243.JPG

Not pictured--mini croissants with homemade raspberry jam....that no one touched.  Hope they freeze well.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

@Shelby, that is my kind of brunch. I made that cheeseball for our Christmas, with one exception. Years ago my grandmother was going to make one and sent my granddad for the jarred dried beef. He came home with a canned  corned beef. She used it and never made it the other way again. try it sometime!

• Like 2

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

This parsnip, date and hazelnut loaf with some home-made cultured butter. 

ED490EB1-9336-4AD6-BB2C-B7B7B00BCCF5.thumb.jpeg.cf8edbb1e7b898addf57789ebae9a340.jpeg

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

16 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

This was more a 10 am bite:

Cranberry Clafoutis with Ricotta and chip IceCream

I dont bake alot--but when i do i bake---i do it with Cranberries
" Mis Amigos "

39529273882_ef6f96e9ba_o.thumb.jpg.f5d3b6119dd83279445c575607f4883d.jpg

That looks incredible. Please tell me about that clafoutis. I usually don't like clafoutis because I find it too "milky," but that doesn't look milky at all. And my love for fresh cranberries is well documented. (My freezer is currently filled with them.) I want to jump up and make that right now. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, caroled said:

@Shelby, that is my kind of brunch. I made that cheeseball for our Christmas, with one exception. Years ago my grandmother was going to make one and sent my granddad for the jarred dried beef. He came home with a canned  corned beef. She used it and never made it the other way again. try it sometime!

I would have never thought of that.  I will have to do this!  Thank you!

@Shelby beautiful biscuits.  I love biscuits and gravy.  Not something commonly found on menus in Canada.  So I always have to make it myself.   

5a53ae4ec7787_BeefandGreenBeanCurryJanuary8th2018.thumb.jpg.b1483f6381aae514b99e8e91637ddc2d.jpg

Breakfast. Beef and Green Bean curry with rice and homemade chapati.

Started yesterday morning in the Breville PC intended for dinner. Saved instead for breakfast.

Just had to warm up the Basmati rice in the steam oven and make the Chapati

• Like 7

@cakewalk

I used this recipe:  Its labeled a cobbler /but Clafoutis sounded better  :)

https://www.cakenknife.com/christmas-cranberry-cobbler/

I used white sugar to dust top and Lurpak Butter for my butter

The sauce was simmer cran's in water left over sugar from the 4 T in the cranberry's I kept out to make it/ orange peel zest and a squeeze of half the juice of an orange

Mine cooked 30 mins convection bake middle of oven--I cooled in pan for 10-15 mins relesed it from the iron skillet

Enjoy  Paul

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 2

Its good to have Morels