• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Okanagancook

Okanagancook

My meat glue in the freezer is old so I thought I would try the agar.  It’s done now.  The recipe is shredded braised oxtail meat which is rolled in cling film like Happy in the Kitchen technique.  After setting in the fridge it is a firm roll.  Then it is sliced into 1 1/2inch discs, breaded on one cut edge and reheated in a pan and then in the oven.  Served as a tapas dish with the braising sauce poured over the top.  Pretty simple except when I put in the oven it fell apart in the oven.

if I were to do it again I would use meat glue once I find more.  It does taste amazing I might add.

if I were to bread more of the outside then it would need frying too which would mean more handling which I am afraid would increase the chance of it falling apart more.

Okanagancook

Okanagancook

My meat glue in the freezer is old so I thought I would try the agar.  It’s done now.  The recipe is shredded braised oxtail meat which is rolled in cling film like Happy in the Kitchen technique.  After setting in the fridge it is a firm roll.  Then it is sliced into 1 1/2inch discs, breaded on one cut edge and reheated in a pan and then in the oven.  Served as a tapas dish with the braising sauce poured over the top.  Pretty simple except when I put in the oven it fell apart in the oven.

if I were to do it again I would use meat glue once I find more.  It does taste amazing I might add.