• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

@Okanagancook...  I hid the ketchup and made them try dinner without it.   My son tasted it, and announced "Mom turned into Gordon Ramsey!  Awesome!"  

So we have butter pan fried Yukon gold wedges,  broccoli and butter, and breaded, mushroom--onion-garlic-thyme stuffed haddock fillets, baked, then panfried to crisp them up.  Not shown is the baguette that hubby loves having with dinner. 

IMG_2613.JPG

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

40 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

DD2A5C1A-7E45-4543-B8DB-FC1A6B1908C5.thumb.jpeg.33f57b8fe0bd79cde891a6f5fb71d2bc.jpeg

Chicken and Andouille Jambalaya (made in the Instant Pot) - DH declared it a keeper!

We had the exact same thing tonight, but made on the stove top.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

oxtail made a repeat performance tonight with new salad and sweets 

@scubadoo97... If you don't mind sharing, could you share the correct preparation for oxtail?  I have some in my freezer, and haven't a clue what to do with it.  - Andrea

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Not sure about correct as there are so many ways to make them.   I went the easy route and bagged and SV'd them at 162f for 48 hours then chilled them down and tossed in the fridge for later use.  

Reheated in a warm  bath then cleaned meat from fat and bone.  Warmed and browned a bit in a pan stove top.   I had a big container of brown mushrooms so sauteed them and added to the meat when reheating 

• Thanks 1

Dinner05042018.png

This may look a little like my Georgian meal the other night.  What's new is Soko Ketze, mushrooms baked in butter, stuffed with cheese and garnished with chopped dill.

Also the store tonight had pomegranates!  I sought out the produce manager to thank him.  He apologized that they were small.  I purchased two.

• Like 10

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

It was 90 degrees here, yesterday. I heated up the kitchen just enough to make potato salad early in the day and cooked kielbasa and Brussel sprouts in aluminum foil on the grill as the A/C kept the house bearable later on.

HC

IMG_0425.thumb.JPG.a06b6d360e8668a11d476676ade96ae0.JPGIMG_0426.thumb.JPG.dec8715a6a78aa21c5f12abc2339c358.JPGIMG_0427.thumb.JPG.ac88fb03b6e813eaa283c93703bbf5c4.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 12

Glass noodles with shrimps and soft tofu. Thai yellow curry sauce, with coconut milk, loads of chili, lime zest, makrut lime leaves, ginger and garlic. Scallions and peanuts.

IMG_20180414_205709.thumb.jpg.7d21b513f44c281ea2e8ec948c93ba9e.jpg

• Like 14

~ Shai N.

On 2018-04-20 at 7:57 PM, Anna N said:

So are you suggesting that I need to try it?:)

Look what arrived at my house today.

43ABD25E-03FF-4D4E-861E-3219596CA9BE.thumb.jpeg.f8877f7ded0f4c34a30306bb94d595dc.jpeg

Ask and you shall receive if a certain person “eaves drops” on your postings. @Kerry Beal has now committed me to no longer being a Rice-A-Roni virgin. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Salty , are they ?

I think I recall

from so long ago ...

back in the day of B & W TV

" The San Fan Francisco Treat "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzOR_Fal_SY

way before two weeks of sodium might not be best 

in each teaspoon.

and I grew up just S of there

and nobody I knew made it in SF

just saying

of course my sister and I made so much trouble

we maybe had it twice.

"San Francisco : famous for Food "

??

and who wears gloves and waves to the cable car operator ?

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Look what arrived at my house today.

43ABD25E-03FF-4D4E-861E-3219596CA9BE.thumb.jpeg.f8877f7ded0f4c34a30306bb94d595dc.jpeg

Ask and you shall receive if a certain person “eaves drops” on your postings. @Kerry Beal has now committed me to no longer being a Rice-A-Roni virgin. 

I love it!

I've never had the Spanish rice version.

My Grammy used make a really good salad using the chicken kind on the left.  It had artichoke hearts and curry powder in it.  I'll have to look that up.  I had forgotten about it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

I love it!

I've never had the Spanish rice version.

My Grammy used make a really good salad using the chicken kind on the left.  It had artichoke hearts and curry powder in it.  I'll have to look that up.  I had forgotten about it.

Never had the Spanish, either. Chicken ain't bad. It IS salty. 

I'd love to take a look at that recipe, if you find it. I like salads with rice and pasta.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

It was supposed to be very hot today, so I planned on a dinner from the grill. It wasn't as bad  as the forecast,  but cheeseburgers, potato salad, that we didn't touch last night worked out well anyway. (After the picture, I realized we needed forks for the PS and took care of it).

HC

IMG_0447.thumb.JPG.a3155d1a5727db1662484fa3dc53be72.JPGIMG_0444.thumb.JPG.ad7928f984dbc7922e07b5d1075e58f3.JPGIMG_0445.thumb.JPG.827f0a47d87a157c00d8c2be8051c529.JPGIMG_0446.thumb.JPG.7f5cc47a35f77abdd0aaffa5704a1f07.JPG

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

FB3A96E1-5025-48BB-8057-33C3A20AC50A.thumb.jpeg.73348d99a35477ebf7a227e540540772.jpeg

A small salad and duck with orange sauce over rice from my freezer.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, Shelby said:

This looks lovely.  

I really like the dish that the duck is in.

Thank you. It is a Japanese dish and it has a ridged surface like a grill pan.:)

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I believe I owe the original recipe for this four-ingredient piece of brilliance to @Kim Shook, but tonight, I added something and took it to a new level.

These four things -- fresh corn, chopped asparagus, minced tarragon and cooked/frozen and thawed salad shrimp:

5aed0272168d1_shrimpcornasparagus.JPG.49845ede757f6c94d9c710f6f4e91795.JPG

with the addition of about three tablespoons of butter, will give you a start-to-finish-in-20-minutes dinner you'd be proud to serve guests.

Saute the corn and asparagus in the butter, on medium high.Throw in the tarragon. Cut the heat back to medium, cover, and steam for two or three minutes, just long enough to get the asparagus almost to crisp-tender. Stir in the shrimp, cover again, steam some more just until the shrimp are hot. Eat immediately. Get seconds.

I'm betting you could add this to a pasta with beaten egg and grated parmegiano, and have a phenomenal pasta primavera. I'm planning on leftover on a grain bowl with a balsamic viniagrette and shave parm. If I don't just warm them up and eat them as they are.

5aed03a871dc2_shrimpetc_done.JPG.91a1772d1fb3b738c5acf56d99d3713e.JPG

• Like 12

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

A final splurge on halibut today...$4.99 / 100g. Two fillets = $26.00. I was happy to spend my two $10.00 gift cards for the fish.

Picked up corn and green beans as well.

Smeared halibut with mayo then coated with chopped rosemary and Panko crumbs. Boiled corn, and steamed green beans then buttered and sprinkled on Parmesan.

Started the fillets in frying pan then finished in the oven.

Lovely crispy coating with moist and delicious fish inside!

5aed46b7b6e62_RosemaryhalibutGreenBeans4917.jpg.50de2819825bac969d279d5f057a1bb8.jpg

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com