• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

the ham in boil sounds awesome... best surf n turf ever...  In the boil shown above, they put in a pineapple and let it steep for a long time... that was really tasty

Oh yeah!!!  I've heard about pineapple too.

When corn on the cob isn't available, people poke holes in those big cans of corn and throw the whole can in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, KennethT said:

@Shelby I assume you got the crawfish online, right?  Where did you get it?

We have bought from Cajun Grocer for years.  Excellent service and company.  Kesha is their customer service person and she's the best.  I only bought 5lbs this time...should have bought more.  Anyway, not a dead one in the bunch.  

I see they are sold out right now.....I don't know if that's for the season or just this week. 

I'll be taking the leftovers, shelling them, and then frying the tails in the next few days.  Along with that I'll use the leftover 'taters and make spicy potato salad.  

• Like 7

We used to use Cajun Grocer, but then we switched to using Louisiana Crawfish lacrawfish.com  We found their prices better - the shipping really kills you!  We never get any dead ones, other than the few times when we brought them in for Mardi Gras and it was freezing here in NY - together with the ice pack, we lost about half the box!!!!  Heartbroken (and wallet broken)!

• Sad 3

9 hours ago, KennethT said:

This was Waveland, Mississippi a few Easter weekends ago...

12819340_10207776220377345_1160376576921448362_o.thumb.jpg.13b5822535b6a03721227a841d56ff36.jpg

ETA: I should have worn a smock... in the upper left photo, you can see the custom crawfish boil table our hosts built with the hole in the center to throw shells... as the day went on, some people's aim left more to be desired and I got a bit splattered.... serves this Yankee right...

Re: The table with the hole in the middle. 

For many years, I was one of the organizers/worker bees who staged a barbecue and crawfish festival in Marion, AR. We'd cook 500 to 800 pounds of crawfish to sell, and our teams competing would cook and give away probably a thousand pounds of pork (and assorted other stuff). The first year, we got from the electrical utility a few dozen of the big wooden spools they wind cable on; they're about the right size to stand on one end, and use for a stand-up dinner table. Except that the hole in the middle was way too easy to throw crawfish remains into. And not nearly so easy to get crawfish remains OUT of. I cannot tell you how bad those damn tables smelled when we went out on Sunday morning (after they'd been used since Wednesday night) to clean up the grounds and break everything down.

The next year, we nailed screen wire over the holes. Lots easier to just rake up crawfish remains off the ground.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I decided to celebrate the spring weather we've been having with strawberries for dinner. Okay, they were from Mexico, but that did not diminish my enjoyment. I started with a green leaf lettuce and sliced strawberry salad dressed with oil, vinegar, soy sauce and pomegranate molasses. I ate this while chicken wings seasoned with chicken salt roasted up crispy in the CSO. Then to top it all off was strawberry shortcake on a hot-from-the-oven, slightly sweet biscuit-style shortcake. Whipped cream, of course. Ah, spring! 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Lava? Modern Art? Stomach contents after over indulging in red wine? Its actually my Thai Inspired red curry but it has the the potential to be all three after I was a little heavy handed with the Sambal Oelek. 

( Yes I know Sambal is Indo not Thai this is why all my food is 'inspired by' its cobbled together out of the things I can find at the cost of authenticity). 

It is to be served over Cauliflower gold dust. 

Can I ask how much a head of Cauli costs you guys on average? (I know there is probably a thread out there but i'm not that invested - I can't afford to be ^_^). The ones in my nearest store today were $8 a head!!! O.o And said head (I weighed the biggest I could find) was 620g with leaves. I know they're out of season but wow. Or perhaps everyone elses prices are similar? 

20180331_174603.thumb.jpg.c1e6ad6eef21c0a4f4821018e8ad4c09.jpg

• Like 6

Halibut season opened this week. Halibut is the only fish that I can say I really love. Both Moe and I look forward to the first meal of the season.

It is on sale this week at $2.49 a 100gs so about $11.30 a pound. Which is almost a steal. If it is anything like last year, in another week it will probably be up to between $22 to $28 a pound.

5abf92c605e2d_HalibutintheOsterMarch30th20182.thumb.jpg.782f202597ecad7845954971406f097b.jpg

Simple preparation. Started skin side up in a hot cast iron pan , browned in butter and oil, then turned and finished in a hot oven. Drizzled with a brown butter with lemon.

5abf92da85d4e_HalibutintheOsterMarch30th20184.thumb.jpg.8d935f5801d052de23e39ba3374b3563.jpg

So moist.

Cooked in the new Oster French Door Convection Oven.  Trial run.

Halibut in the Oster March 30th, 2018.jpg

• Like 22
  • Delicious 3

Unapologetic liver and onions liver and onions. OK I couldn't resist a Chinese twist and marinated the pig liver* in Shaoxing wine for a bit. With simple boiled new potatoes and quick stir fried spinach.

liver.thumb.jpg.61f970ccde156efb9be1dde33aa2d9f9.jpg

The liver was saucier than it appears. I've met people like that!

* Yes @Anna N I'd prefer calves' liver or lambs' liver, too, but it seems Chinese cattle and sheep are born already adult. I've never seen anything other than beef, pork or chicken liver here. With pork liver being ubiquitous. I can buy goose or duck liver if I re-mortgage my home and all my friends.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The Man did duck on the Ronco Rotisserie....most excellent! My Aunt's crispy on the outside, and creamy in the middle roasted spuds and roasted frozen brussel sprouts....the crispy bits are not bacon BUT CLOSE..its the crispy spud bits from the pan...and a bit of Bisto to make the Man happier :)

29573062_10155344999387703_1471486246149495652_n.jpg

• Like 12

@Ann_T

I envy your fresh Halibut.

one of the finest fishes in the sea.

for me second only to fresh Salmon , the 1/3 closest to the head.

I grew up in CA and used to go to Cook's Seafood in MenloPart

the salmon in the mining were still sir of wiggling when they were selected by the owner

and the late catch fish went into a seafood restaurant which was 1/2 of Cook's

you could have Fish and Chips  ( really close to the real deal ) made w any fish you selected from the market side.

Sand Dabs and larger similar fish from Half Moon Bay , and  Crabs in season steamed by them or yourself.

sign.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD

Nice Rack !

"  cooked sous vide @130F for 2 hours "

how tender was this ?  would it take up to 4 and still be nice ?

@rotuts  The lamb was tender, but I have no idea what it would be like after 4 hours.  I have only ever done it for 2.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

I envy your fresh Halibut.

one of the finest fishes in the sea.

for me second only to fresh Salmon , the 1/3 closest to the head.

@Rotuts, for me Halibut is second to none.  The only fish that I like.  Even though I grew up in Ontario,

it was Halibut Fish Chips that were sold in the Fish and Chip shops.   And Halibut Fish and Chips is the only fish and chips I will order.

Promised Moe I would make him  Halibut Fish and Chips this week.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Can I ask how much a head of Cauli costs you guys on average? (I know there is probably a thread out there but i'm not that invested - I can't afford to be ^_^). The ones in my nearest store today were $8 a head!!! O.o And said head (I weighed the biggest I could find) was 620g with leaves. I know they're out of season but wow. Or perhaps everyone elses prices are similar? 

Bumping this so you can get an answer. I think the last time I looked at a head of cauliflower it ran around $3 (USD) per head. I didn't weigh it, but 620g sounds like approximately the same size. We had quite a discussion a year or two ago about why cauliflower prices at the time had exploded. They seem to have deflated since then.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown