• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

I seem to have got my cultures mixed up.

Starter: Insalata Caprese from the beautiful Italian island of Capri

ic3.thumb.jpg.31b5236a114e55d8aab14793e0da566f.jpg

Main: 牛肉孜然夹馍 (niú ròu zī rán jiá mò) Cumin Beef Rou Jia Mo from the great Chinese city, Xi'an. Three were eaten.

rjm1.thumb.jpg.8eb0e54d32469b2eb28cca35cf5fd1cc.jpg

rjm4.thumb.jpg.ed3cc01d8ba75e099b5444591a6f19c5.jpg

rjm5.thumb.jpg.a0d16c10901213016b694e1aa8607e7a.jpg

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Tonight needed something quick and easy.    Having vac packs of SV chicken thigh confit in the freezer made that happen.  

After a quick thaw in the sink using the Anova to keep the water moving the thighs were browned to render fat and sliced mushrooms were cooked with the chicken as they soaked up both fat and flavor.  Served with grilled squash 

image.thumb.jpeg.1ab283b4ccb7885d9fb9a195b63c9b43.jpeg

• Like 13

Wild rice done in the Instant Pot (pot in pot method), shrimp and vegetables in a mustard cream sauce over the rice, and frozen, ready-to-bake onion rings cooked in an air fryer. The rings were a disappointment; the rest I'd do again. 

20180818_221538.jpg

• Like 11

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Other than tomatoes lunch at work had been salami and provolone sandwiches on six day bread.  Wonderful bread but we all have our mortality.  My teeth are not the greatest and I got a crumb of crust in my left eye.  Dinner was soft food -- half a CSO Cornish hen, peas and mashed potato.  No leftovers.  I licked the spatula.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Bought me a fish.

I was thinking I'd steam it Chinese style, but then thought "I can eat that any time. Do something different."

In the end I did it the same and different. I prepared it for steaming as if it was going to be a Chinese dish. You have to creep up on these critters. Gutted and de-scaled it then washed it in Shaoxing wine and stuffed it with garlic and ginger. Decorated the top with ginger "scales", chilli and carrot. Just to confuse it, I used two scallions to  act as an honour guard on either side. Then I steamed the baby for 12 minutes.

before2.thumb.jpg.de26462ca25dfbb5bf5de9dcd0c11f35.jpg

before

After 12 minutes steaming in the wok, I removed it,

cooked.thumb.jpg.78167595ec703c85fa120b272a93e564.jpg

after

let it cool a bit then removed the top fillet. That confused it. It's usually served whole, Chinese style.

Plated the one fillet with orzo and asparagus. In case it felt like a fish out of water, I added the two now steamed scallions to give it a feeling of security in this bizarre foreign environment.

edible1.thumb.jpg.e1a47b7347c19c6a10d7dde26bd0f8f3.jpg

Then  I ate it.

Then went back for the lower fillet., more orzo and more asparagus.

seconds.thumb.jpg.117cc126fa83592b949df969ee172fc7.jpg

The fish was nicely spicy from the ginger and chilli and I think it went well with orzo. I'm likely to revisit this.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Sunday night is pizza night - and today we were joined by a friend of my son and his parents, which extended “pizza night” to “whatever we have at home turned into some kind of tapas AND pizza night”.

28DD3BFB-4300-48F6-ACE4-FEE8A79672B2.thumb.jpeg.d9f1095ecf1d9a73d961075e58428d8b.jpeg

Roasted pumpkin with romesco sauce and pine nuts. Olives. Fuet (Catalan cured sausage). Tete de Moine. Guacamole.

F94998EE-09A6-41ED-AB28-A3B5363DCF68.thumb.jpeg.4d234e6c6eb5911144ac58b98d52a568.jpeg

Truita de patatas. Postal crisps. Hummus.

89980E98-00B4-45D1-A3FD-CA42A06AF457.thumb.jpeg.4003e20fbde2e82cd898dea6c4b0eaea.jpeg

Pizza with mushrooms and peppered salami, Roman style ...

99EE9E5D-0ACA-49DB-99AD-2E72A85D437F.thumb.jpeg.dc826d77ef65d643d4d9f3c5964c3283.jpeg

Crumb-shot.

9E1ECA63-928C-4FDF-8911-855C0AA2227A.thumb.jpeg.2450293cbc78436dbb3890b2d9d4da4c.jpeg

A quite pleasant Chilean red, curtesy of our guests ...

74200CA2-9AC7-412B-B02C-BF8FDAFF4090.thumb.jpeg.44b1fd1894a78f494b98165cf7888f0f.jpeg

Full and happy 😋

• Like 18
  • Delicious 2

9 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Bought me a fish.

I was thinking I'd steam it Chinese style, but then thought "I can eat that any time. Do something different."

In the end I did it the same and different. I prepared it for steaming as if it was going to be a Chinese dish. You ave to creep up on these critters. Gutted and de-scaled it then washed it in Shaoxing wine and stuffed it with garlic and ginger. Decorated the top with ginger "scales", chilli and carrot. Just to confuse it, I used two scallions to  act as an honour guard on either side. Then I steamed the baby for 12 minutes.

before2.thumb.jpg.de26462ca25dfbb5bf5de9dcd0c11f35.jpg

before

After 12 minutes steaming in the wok, I removed it,

cooked.thumb.jpg.78167595ec703c85fa120b272a93e564.jpg

after

let it cool a bit then removed the top fillet. That confused it.

Plated it with orzo and asparagus. In case it felt like a fish out of water, I added the two now steamed scallions to give it a feeling of security in this bizarre foreign environment.

edible1.thumb.jpg.e1a47b7347c19c6a10d7dde26bd0f8f3.jpg

Then  I ate it.

Then went back for the lower fillet., more orzo and more asparagus.

seconds.thumb.jpg.117cc126fa83592b949df969ee172fc7.jpg

The fish was nicely spicy from the ginger and chilli and I think it went well with orzo. I'm likely to revisit this.

Love the write-up!

• Like 1

7B25D73E-B161-4E15-8F33-48CD40C8385D.thumb.jpeg.f9720466554fbade05dbad57161d82a4.jpeg

Dinner last evening was lettuce wraps with mini Lamb burgers, and a cucumber and tomato salad with wasabi mayo. 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/16/2018 at 9:59 PM, Ann_T said:

Okay, now I want the Breville Wok.

I have one and really like it.  It gets very hot.  Makes good stir fries, and cleaning it is easy too.

Last night, bucatini with clam sauce

1062379451_linguiniwithclams.thumb.jpg.e2092c023f61fcac9be6fe361cf83fdb.jpg

• Like 13

Sunday dinner in courses, by virtue of the fact it turned out to be only me. I had cooked a slab or ribs a year or more ago SV, and tossed them in the freezer still in their pouch. Today I got them out to thaw and then coated them in a thin coat of barbecue sauce, and into the smoke they went for an hour. 

While they smoked, I made potato salad. And, because I was starving and I could, I ate a bowl of it, because I love warm potato salad. Then the ribs were done, so they were the second course.

I truly love this little electric smoker.

20180819_151548.thumb.jpg.34e68aea8fb2542b46ed3fae9bb637fb.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

6CC7EAE5-AD07-450B-9D5E-58E39C4715F4.thumb.jpeg.ab6ea968cbc2672d9c43f58d086f203f.jpeg

Chicken katsu. Opted for shredded iceberg rather than the more usual cabbage. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My old wok got sold in a garage sale a couple years ago. It had not been used in a long long time. It did not do well on an electric stove.   Now that I have a gas stove with a large burner, I thought it was time to get a new one.  I broke it in today with some marinated steak.  We had it with some roasted vegetables and rice.  

20180819_150758.jpg

20180819_151504.jpg

• Like 12

Well, that's a sweet little unit!  We have an electric Bradley which is the Canadian built version of the one they have on the Masterbilt website.  Ours is also easy to use.  Digital and you can set the temperature and time.  Various kinds of wood pucks are available.  Actually we are on our second one...the first one wore out and the new one has automatic controls.  I was looking at some of the reviews on that website and comments about cleaning baffle me.....one doesn't 'clean' a smoker.....mission impossible. :-))

Smoke on.....

49 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

My old wok got sold in a garage sale a couple years ago. It had not been used in a long long time. It did not do well on an electric stove.   Now that I have a gas stove with a large burner, I thought it was time to get a new one.  I broke it in today with some marinated steak.  We had it with some roasted vegetables and rice.  

20180819_150758.jpg

20180819_151504.jpg

I wish I had bought a wok with a handle...good choice.  Mine has two little useless hoops at either side and are a 'bit...h' to hold on to and shake the wok. Not buying a new one at this point in life...but jealous none the less.

ps  love gas cookery...and in these parts a very cheap source of energy....$16 a month for my stove and BBQ.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Well, that's a sweet little unit!  We have an electric Bradley which is the Canadian built version of the one they have on the Masterbilt website.  Ours is also easy to use.  Digital and you can set the temperature and time.  Various kinds of wood pucks are available.  Actually we are on our second one...the first one wore out and the new one has automatic controls.  I was looking at some of the reviews on that website and comments about cleaning baffle me.....one doesn't 'clean' a smoker.....mission impossible. :-))

Smoke on.....

I kinda wondered about that, myself. 

I would note that I caught this one on Amazon Warehouse Deals and paid about half the price it's listed for; something under $100, and I think it was in the upper $80 range. I figured at that price, I couldn't go wrong. First thing I smoked was steelhead trout; next was a tri-tip. These are actually the first ribs I've done, and I wanted to get them out of the freezer. I'm about to need a freezer intervention....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

11 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Smoke on.....

We had a Bradley also, but it developed trouble with that puck dropping mechanism.  I had to go out and manually drop the pucks.  Other than that, it was a great machine.  I did a lot of bacon in it.

Edited to add:  everything is better with bacon.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

We had a Bradley also, but it developed trouble with that puck dropping mechanism.  I had to go out and manually drop the pucks.  Other than that, it was a great machine.  I did a lot of bacon in it.

Edited to add:  everything is better with bacon.

We, of course, had the same problem with puck movement.  I read somewhere that one needs to get steel wool to the surface of the plate so they don't get hung up...worked for us.  I feel a switch of topics by the moderator coming :-))

• Haha 2