• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

21 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'm still eating leftovers from Sunday. Ate the Italian beef sandwiches Sunday and Monday, went out for dinner on Tuesday with the kid at her request, and last night decided to repurpose the still somewhat hefty amount of remaining beef. So I cooked it in a frying pan to reduce the liquid and crisp the beef a bit, stirred in homemade bbq sauce and had bbq beef sandwiches. Of course, even that didn't manage to kill it all so bbq beef it is for tonight as well. If that doesn't wipe it out, it's going in the bin... not doing another night with it. I really need to start cooking smaller amounts of things.

Or grind it up and make a cottage pie that you can tuck in the freezer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Or grind it up and make a cottage pie that you can tuck in the freezer.

That sounds like a good idea. I may just do that with all of it. Not completely convinced I want to eat it again tonight.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I was happily surprised at dinner tonight. I am suffering from allergies and a fever, so my son, the 'king of ketchup', offered to cook steaks for dinner.  WOW!  I ended up with a perfectly seasoned porterhouse, med-well.  Absolutely delicious!  Sorry - no pics.  I ate it too fast. 

The child has a new job here at home now.:P  

• Like 15

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

Some dinners during this busy gardening time:

Rice noodles, Char siu,  bok choy

5b19fe4685324_CharSiuHoFun5153.jpg.0e34b5f1276706a9df04bb923f3f2ed3.jpg

New order of fresh pickerel fillets from  Lake Manitoba:  Fish 'n' Chips in beer batter. Curry sauce with fresh curry leaves for the chips!

5b19fe46f2c09_PickerelFishnChips5156.jpg.4798ee3296987b6ad4ac8fbebceddf2f.jpg

Pork Vindaloo with a potato and quartered onions in the Instant Pot and roti

5b19fe71a7b54_IPPorkVindaloo5163.jpg.96b834e2fc074b1b1df8eb228d925eca.jpg

Last feed of halibut fillets that I picked up at Safeway 2 weeks ago...50% discount! Brushed with mayo and coated with Panko.

5b19fe8cce5b4_JuneHalibut5167.jpg.4041892ff0b9a230966d670208e46e7e.jpg

Potato Patties are so easy to throw on when short on time to make chips!

• Like 18

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Tonight's dinner, elote brats and Texas Wiener brats on grilled King's Hawaiian rolls, with steamed asparagus with a sauce of sweet soy sauce and umeboshi vinegar on the side.

34795299_10209655402660291_8460540653439287296_n.jpg

• Like 10

Just 2 things.

jyPlUim.jpg

Wine is made "Méthode Traditionnelle". I'm not interested in sparkling wines with just added fizz.

vV1ik6Q.jpg

Caviar fridges, under lock and key. Bought mine from here.

FwvJ6hs.jpg

I've been struggling with the heat here. Cold strawberry with ice is extremely nice after walking round in this heat.

zZxeaHm.jpg

Like most eastern Europeans Moldovans are huge soup eaters. Fortunately I like soups and beetroots. Garlic rolls in the background. You will quickly notice sour cream is served with nearly everything.

On4tim1.jpg

Moldovan version of polenta. The dent is for pouring butter over.

w4ZjWjj.jpg

Fried Speck, scrambled eggs, grated brined cheese, sour cream, dill-garlic in oil.

8iAxqjt.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 16

10 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Tupperware! Very vintage, as I have had them like forever! xD

Wow.

My wife sold Tupperware.. and I never saw those things  :)

I still have two full selves of vintage stuff..Awesomeness

• Like 4

Its good to have Morels

3 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

I still have two full selves of vintage stuff..Awesomeness

I feel that way too, as I get older. :P

(I know it was a typo, but it was a good one.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

908AEF8E-0789-4D2E-B391-02964042A757.thumb.jpeg.abce67e306fc2749608c270248c78a85.jpeg

Carrot and parsnip kinpira, broccoli with miso-mayo dressing and skirt steak marinated in soy sauce, sake, ginger, garlic and maple syrup. 

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Supper tonight was done in the Big Easy!

Chicken rubbed with Ethiopian Berbere spices. Eaten with stir-fried veg...

5b1b52ea11635_BigEasyChicken5173.jpg.1c8bd8944d3dc36199af535205863ef2.jpg

• Like 11

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Steamed open the last of the most recent batch of clams today, to make chorizo stuffed clams. I was pleased to see that every last one of them opened nicely. I paired these with some garlic, chili & lime shrimp skewers, cooked in foil on the grill and little salads that included lettuce and radishes from the garden. I go out to the garden frequently to check on the progress, and offer words of encouragement, to my first zucchini and cucumbers of the season.

HC

IMG_0920.thumb.JPG.2dd697aceec8c33211fcd41dfae5c9c1.JPGIMG_0921.thumb.JPG.4294c00ce8e91a55d92b4f46181c97e4.JPGIMG_0925.thumb.JPG.f7c53b4da717100dc83a4257ed376c51.JPG 

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 13