• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

DFE56BE4-C1EC-403E-BC7D-B61BBEE5F4FC.thumb.jpeg.28451d6eb44b7668281d99031f92b2e4.jpeg

Two open-faced sandwiches: pickled herring and grilled chicken thigh. To be washed down with two glasses of Taffel Akvavit.  Considering how my week has gone so far it is probably better for my health that I forgot to refill my freezer bottle of the good stuff and then I shall have to limit myself to only two glasses. 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I tried a different recipe for meatloaf that came in my email today.  It was tricky to keep from falling apart because I had to pick it up, put it in a skillet to brown on one side, turn over, brown on the other side, take out and deglaze the skillet with wine, then put it back in and bake.  Charlie said it was a keeper and not to top it with bacon like I usually do. It is very different from the old recipe I have used in the past.

20180606_142255.jpg

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

DFE56BE4-C1EC-403E-BC7D-B61BBEE5F4FC.thumb.jpeg.28451d6eb44b7668281d99031f92b2e4.jpeg

Two open-faced sandwiches: pickled herring and grilled chicken thigh. To be washed down with two glasses of Taffel Akvavit.  Considering how my week has gone so far it is probably better for my health that I forgot to refill my freezer bottle of the good stuff and then I shall have to limit myself to only two glasses. 

For some reason, I always automatically think "bleh" when someone mentions pickled herring. I've never been able to figure out why that is because as far as I can remember, I've never had it. I don't remember there ever being a pickled herring incident in my childhood that would have caused pickled herring inspired trauma to be buried in my subconscious... so I'm not sure where that comes from.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

45 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

For some reason, I always automatically think "bleh" when someone mentions pickled herring

It is an acquired taste. Being married for almost 50 years to a Dane it was necessary to acquire that taste in order to survive!  Now it is a comfort food believe it or not.  

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

It is an acquired taste. Being married for almost 50 years to a Dane it was necessary to acquire that taste in order to survive!  Now it is a comfort food believe it or not.  

I believe it. Like I said, I don't even have a valid reason that I'm aware of for thinking that way.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

52 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

For some reason, I always automatically think "bleh" when someone mentions pickled herring. I've never been able to figure out why that is because as far as I can remember, I've never had it. I don't remember there ever being a pickled herring incident in my childhood that would have caused pickled herring inspired trauma to be buried in my subconscious... so I'm not sure where that comes from.

I'm another pickled herring fan but then, we ate it when I was growing up.  I'm never without a jar in the fridge.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I'm another pickled herring fan but then, we ate it when I was growing up.  I'm never without a jar in the fridge.

I didn't grow up with it as such, but it somehow became my standard hangover breakfast back in the days when that was a regular requirement. I haven't purchased it as often since then, largely because I've so often been on a tight budget and would have been the only one in the house who ate it.

Thinking back, I believe my "ground zero" dish for herring might have been a herring salad made by my best friend's mother. She was German, and the salad contained apples and onions and had some kind of creamy dressing. I haven't thought of that in years...I really should ask her for the recipe while she's around to relay it.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

18 minutes ago, chromedome said:

I didn't grow up with it as such, but it somehow became my standard hangover breakfast back in the days when that was a regular requirement. I haven't purchased it as often since then, largely because I've so often been on a tight budget and would have been the only one in the house who ate it.

Thinking back, I believe my "ground zero" dish for herring might have been a herring salad made by my best friend's mother. She was German, and the salad contained apples and onions and had some kind of creamy dressing. I haven't thought of that in years...I really should ask her for the recipe while she's around to relay it.

And when you do, maybe she would let you share the recipe?

• Like 2

I'll ask her. There are any number of similar-sounding recipes online, but of course it's the little details that make the difference between "a" recipe and "her" recipe. Also, in her generation of her family she is the acknowledged inheritor of her mom's genius in the kitchen.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Sad to say, while I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner tonight, I had a bit of photographic failure.

Liver, onions and cabbage with baked potato. But I have no shame, so I'm posting one picture anyway.

bpl2.thumb.jpg.b9db61c36195765b3a9d680e8eb8aa83.jpg

You're probably think that isn't very Chinese and you'd be correct. Although the liver was marinated in Shaoxing wine and I dropped in a splashette of soy sauce at the end. Force of habit.

(I went back for more, as usual.)

• Like 10

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Norm Matthews

would you be willing to share your new ML Rx ?

what about just torching the ML ?  would that be easier ?

@rotuts, I'm not @Norm Matthews but I know you can find the recipe following the link to his blog at the bottom of his post.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

So

" Beyond Meat Brat "  -  I was under impressed with the burger, but this actually wasn't to bad,  We got these @ WF.  I guess they have a hard time keeping them on the selves.

http://beyondmeat.com/products/view/beyond-sausage-brat

27780572727_f274883283_b.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1

Its good to have Morels

So me and my wife made a little experiment that turned out to be super awesome and tasty. 

There is a Crimean dish called "Chebureki", which is basically ground lamb or beef with lots of onion, sealed in a dough and deep fried. Its very yummy and has all the awesome parts like juicy meat, hot broth, and crispy skin of the dough. 

I also love the simplicity of a classic cheesburger. Guess what we made hahaha :)

We took basic ground beef 80/20, added a little bit more onion to it, salt pepper, pickles, american cheese, ketchup and mustard.

Quick deep fry, and wowzers was it amazing

BNbhdA5.jpg

XLc6jXs.jpg

KUbOlAv.jpg

uzuxbhz.jpg

OVWVDXu.jpg

s60TkHF.jpg

• Like 22
  • Delicious 2

Food blogging zombie

My Instagram

My YouTube Channel

I'm still eating leftovers from Sunday. Ate the Italian beef sandwiches Sunday and Monday, went out for dinner on Tuesday with the kid at her request, and last night decided to repurpose the still somewhat hefty amount of remaining beef. So I cooked it in a frying pan to reduce the liquid and crisp the beef a bit, stirred in homemade bbq sauce and had bbq beef sandwiches. Of course, even that didn't manage to kill it all so bbq beef it is for tonight as well. If that doesn't wipe it out, it's going in the bin... not doing another night with it. I really need to start cooking smaller amounts of things.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2974BE61-E78F-4FB0-82E0-1519D413369B.thumb.jpeg.1a598a6fac01e68835b9fd55426fa08c.jpeg

Cod in ginger-garlic broth and orange and miso glazed sweet potato. Well it would’ve been orange if I only had some but cuaçao worked rather well. 

• Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog