• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Its so damn cold that all there is to do this weekend is eat.

A market one town over had a D'artagnan Pheasant at $11.50@!  Woof.

So,  sous vide pheasant breast (145F, 45 min) over mushroom ragu and tagliatelle, and warm sprouts slaw

I'd never had pheasant except in a terrine with liver and spices etc. This tasted like mild turkey breast. Nice

(The legs are being confited in rendered pheasant fat for some future meal)

0051.thumb.jpg.25a90a825dd7094d2d1c80d396c8fdb3.jpg

SV Pork loin  with apple/mustard sauce,  maple syrup sprouts and barley risotto

005.thumb.jpg.0432e7a0af6cdd796a1dd08a85b97d73.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Thoughts of Singapore....

20180106_191055.thumb.jpg.81b6e770cd638eaea5f4207328b6c6e6.jpg

Chicken in Black Nut curry (minus the black nuts!)  I love this non-coconut based curry, but my neighbors probably hate it as our apartment (and hallway) will smell like shrimp paste for the next week...

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 9

Last night, from Supra, A feast of Georgian Cooking, by Tiko Tuskadze:  Chkmeruli (p130), poussin in garlic and walnut sauce (and bread to sop it up).  Tonight, after a particularly long and tired day, I needed comfort food:  ribeye, rare/medium rare, peas, mashed potato.  Method of Herve This, there is no better*.

No plans to stay up later than it takes to finish this glass of WhislePig.

*in my opinion.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@gfweb

Its so damn cold that all there is to do this weekend is eat "

Cr[a]p

its much more efficient to just drink !

- 8 here this AM

the only thing good about that is it takes less than a Jiffy to get a Jug of MR going.

while I sample Jug1 ,  Jugis setting up outside !

Free of Charge !

suprise.gif.db0fcb2e5438c51265a06db9c2786517.gif

money-mouth.gif.da9ac38d6d204867bf3bec25113f24e5.gif

Unknown-1.jpeg.2d2478e95ace1b266314ad48fc5a178b.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

(( Previously there was a photo. But it was awful. So I quit - I think you can still see it below if you must )) 

I have read and reread the posts on food photography and I am close to giving up! I just don't have that Je ne sais quoi, that every one of you seems to have! I will not break the rules however, and will find an appropriate thread to ask advice on the purchase of a 'proper' camera before my towel is flung - because of course it is the tools and not the operator :D.

Tonight's unattractive meal can be partly blamed on my hub I have decided, for some weird, nay, perverse reason, he can only eat a runny yolk at Breakfast time- I don't get it either :S. So we have fried 'dead' egg, bacon spinach and mushroom side and a leftover oversized meatball from yesterday. Meatballs were a 50/50 pork and beef mix with some whiskey caramelised onion thrown in, stuffed with a (un) healthy amount of herbed goats cheese. 

I am not sure I would use the goats cheese again, while I like the fact it stands up to the heat and remains fairly solid and in place, I miss the 'ooey gooey' effect other cheeses would provide.  

Edited by CantCookStillTry
embarrassment (log)
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

meateggspin.thumb.JPG.bba0807599aca211bdd8913a90b277d7.JPG

I have read and reread the posts on food photography and I am close to giving up! I just don't have that Je ne sais quoi, that every one of you seems to have! I will not break the rules however, and will find an appropriate thread to ask advice on the purchase of a 'proper' camera before my towel is flung - because of course it is the tools and not the operator :D.

Tonight's unattractive meal can be partly blamed on my hub I have decided, for some weird, nay, perverse reason, he can only eat a runny yolk at Breakfast time- I don't get it either :S. So we have fried 'dead' egg, bacon spinach and mushroom side and a leftover oversized meatball from yesterday. Meatballs were a 50/50 pork and beef mix with some whiskey caramelised onion thrown in, stuffed with a (un) healthy amount of herbed goats cheese. 

I am not sure I would use the goats cheese again, while I like the fact it stands up to the heat and remains fairly solid and in place, I miss the 'ooey gooey' effect other cheeses would provide.  

On the topic of food photography: Is it my lousy phone, you using a filter or is that meatball purple ?

10 hours ago, mm84321 said:

Turmeric, black potato, and herb I can't remember the name of, made into tea. I am in South Africa. 

You are in Cape Town. Sorry we could not bring you better weather today! I live 15 km NE from where the photograph was taken.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

3 minutes ago, JohnT said:

You are in Cape Town. Sorry we could not bring you better weather today! I live 15 km NE from where the photograph was taken.

Ah! I am staying in the area, currently around Breda street. Send me a PM if you want to meet up! 

4 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

(( Previously there was a photo. But it was awful. So I quit - I think you can still see it below if you must )) 

I use my android Note 4 smartphone and take a low angled shot. No flash. Then use microsoft picture to crop and occasionally fiddle with contrast.  I'd love to know what @Ann_T uses

Edited by gfweb (log)

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I use my android Note 4 smartphone and take a low angled shot. No flash. Then use microsoft picture to crop and occasionally fiddle with contrast.  I'd love to know what @Ann_T uses

Gfweb,  I retired my camera over three years ago when I traded in my iphone, which I never used for photos,  for a Samsung.  Galaxy S5.   It is almost four years old and I have been debating trading it in for a new model, but I love the camera on this phone so I think I will keep it until it no longer works.   

At this time of year when it is dark and dreary, I take most of my photos in the same spot where I have an LED desk lamp set up.  Once we have more day light I will take photos outside again.   I have a piece of granite set up on our deck that I take photos of our Boards on and I take food photos there too. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 6

We went to a local place that does seafood well. 

DSC04131.thumb.JPG.3c76f569e2d160f03b93548bd4f8d953.JPG

Fried clam bellies with tartar sauce and cocktail sauce

DSC04133.thumb.JPG.1c804a2f35068d8e08a459b23cd4813b.JPG

Iceberg wedge with blue cheese dressing

DSC04135.thumb.JPG.7f953c894e8c2bbb974ff289e3ec76e3.JPG

Steamed clams with garlic, white wine, lemon and parsley

DSC04137.thumb.JPG.92035bd712bfb1ef0ce56cde92acb024.JPG

Pappardelle with prawns and black truffle butter

Total bill came to $50 per person.

Woodhouse Fish Company

2073 Market Street (14th Street)

The Castro