• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

liuzhou

Dinner 2018

Dinner last night:

DSCN7874.JPG.1fd743fa72b32c421e13a739cf11ad57.JPG

CI pot roast, noodles, mushrooms, collards and the last of the scalloped tomatoes. 

• Like 10

Cornmeal gnocchi with mushrooms & chestnuts in browned butter, sage, chives.

IMG_20171222_145424.thumb.jpg.f1af604bdd1e36d1ef8fb5e0f6b8ff88.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Its so damn cold that all there is to do this weekend is eat.

A market one town over had a D'artagnan Pheasant at $11.50@!  Woof.

So,  sous vide pheasant breast (145F, 45 min) over mushroom ragu and tagliatelle, and warm sprouts slaw

I'd never had pheasant except in a terrine with liver and spices etc. This tasted like mild turkey breast. Nice

(The legs are being confited in rendered pheasant fat for some future meal)

0051.thumb.jpg.25a90a825dd7094d2d1c80d396c8fdb3.jpg

SV Pork loin  with apple/mustard sauce,  maple syrup sprouts and barley risotto

005.thumb.jpg.0432e7a0af6cdd796a1dd08a85b97d73.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

2 minutes ago, mm84321 said:

2018-01-05 153249-699215.JPG

2018-01-05 153320-5854050.JPG

2018-01-05 180436-5273440.JPG

2018-01-06 001857-1648373.JPG

Without explanation, I'm going to assume that last photo is a toilet bowl

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

Turmeric, black potato, and herb I can't remember the name of, made into tea. I am in South Africa. 

• Like 3

Thoughts of Singapore....

20180106_191055.thumb.jpg.81b6e770cd638eaea5f4207328b6c6e6.jpg

Chicken in Black Nut curry (minus the black nuts!)  I love this non-coconut based curry, but my neighbors probably hate it as our apartment (and hallway) will smell like shrimp paste for the next week...

Edited by KennethT (log)
  • Like 9

Pasta alla Gricia with Slivered Sugar Snap Peas from Six Seasons. Recipe available online here.

IMG_6737.thumb.jpg.dc29dda6175914a9efe222a4f8d8faf4.jpg

A bit of a nuisance to sliver the sugar snaps but they're just right with the spaghetti - both perfectly al dente!

Edited by blue_dolphin to add link (log)
  • Like 17

Last night, from Supra, A feast of Georgian Cooking, by Tiko Tuskadze:  Chkmeruli (p130), poussin in garlic and walnut sauce (and bread to sop it up).  Tonight, after a particularly long and tired day, I needed comfort food:  ribeye, rare/medium rare, peas, mashed potato.  Method of Herve This, there is no better*.

No plans to stay up later than it takes to finish this glass of WhislePig.

*in my opinion.

• Like 4

Linguini with clam sauce. These were clams harvested by Stop & Shop, but I hope to be out there again soon, as soon as weather permits.

HC

IMG_1761.thumb.JPG.882b266c3c7df5012ba68552083a7330.JPGIMG_1762.thumb.JPG.8d7340ea4713fddead0e628470426c92.JPG

• Like 12

@gfweb

Its so damn cold that all there is to do this weekend is eat "

Cr[a]p

its much more efficient to just drink !

- 8 here this AM

the only thing good about that is it takes less than a Jiffy to get a Jug of MR going.

while I sample Jug1 ,  Jugis setting up outside !

Free of Charge !

suprise.gif.db0fcb2e5438c51265a06db9c2786517.gif

money-mouth.gif.da9ac38d6d204867bf3bec25113f24e5.gif

Unknown-1.jpeg.2d2478e95ace1b266314ad48fc5a178b.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

(( Previously there was a photo. But it was awful. So I quit - I think you can still see it below if you must )) 

I have read and reread the posts on food photography and I am close to giving up! I just don't have that Je ne sais quoi, that every one of you seems to have! I will not break the rules however, and will find an appropriate thread to ask advice on the purchase of a 'proper' camera before my towel is flung - because of course it is the tools and not the operator :D.

Tonight's unattractive meal can be partly blamed on my hub I have decided, for some weird, nay, perverse reason, he can only eat a runny yolk at Breakfast time- I don't get it either :S. So we have fried 'dead' egg, bacon spinach and mushroom side and a leftover oversized meatball from yesterday. Meatballs were a 50/50 pork and beef mix with some whiskey caramelised onion thrown in, stuffed with a (un) healthy amount of herbed goats cheese. 

I am not sure I would use the goats cheese again, while I like the fact it stands up to the heat and remains fairly solid and in place, I miss the 'ooey gooey' effect other cheeses would provide.  

Edited by CantCookStillTry embarrassment (log)
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

meateggspin.thumb.JPG.bba0807599aca211bdd8913a90b277d7.JPG

I have read and reread the posts on food photography and I am close to giving up! I just don't have that Je ne sais quoi, that every one of you seems to have! I will not break the rules however, and will find an appropriate thread to ask advice on the purchase of a 'proper' camera before my towel is flung - because of course it is the tools and not the operator :D.

Tonight's unattractive meal can be partly blamed on my hub I have decided, for some weird, nay, perverse reason, he can only eat a runny yolk at Breakfast time- I don't get it either :S. So we have fried 'dead' egg, bacon spinach and mushroom side and a leftover oversized meatball from yesterday. Meatballs were a 50/50 pork and beef mix with some whiskey caramelised onion thrown in, stuffed with a (un) healthy amount of herbed goats cheese. 

I am not sure I would use the goats cheese again, while I like the fact it stands up to the heat and remains fairly solid and in place, I miss the 'ooey gooey' effect other cheeses would provide.  

On the topic of food photography: Is it my lousy phone, you using a filter or is that meatball purple ?

It's my lousy phone! No filter, my phones too old for that. Now I feel even worse! :$ - this was the best of six! 9_9

Edited by CantCookStillTry (log)

10 hours ago, mm84321 said:

Turmeric, black potato, and herb I can't remember the name of, made into tea. I am in South Africa. 

You are in Cape Town. Sorry we could not bring you better weather today! I live 15 km NE from where the photograph was taken.

3 minutes ago, JohnT said:

You are in Cape Town. Sorry we could not bring you better weather today! I live 15 km NE from where the photograph was taken.

Ah! I am staying in the area, currently around Breda street. Send me a PM if you want to meet up! 

chicken.thumb.jpg.5b89f7e2bfcc25a0010dfe66761b421c.jpg

Chicken with olives (black and green), onion, garlic, lemon juice and coriander leaf; rice.

• Like 9

I made dinner for breakfast yesterday and wasn't hungry for dinner.

5a523051e3631_CheeseBoardJanuary6th2018.thumb.jpg.55ba505cebbe233bc105efd9119671c9.jpg

So I made Moe a small cheese "board".  Homemade baguette. 

That with a glass of wine and he was happy.

• Like 13

4 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

(( Previously there was a photo. But it was awful. So I quit - I think you can still see it below if you must )) 

I use my android Note 4 smartphone and take a low angled shot. No flash. Then use microsoft picture to crop and occasionally fiddle with contrast.  I'd love to know what @Ann_T uses

Edited by gfweb (log)

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I use my android Note 4 smartphone and take a low angled shot. No flash. Then use microsoft picture to crop and occasionally fiddle with contrast.  I'd love to know what @Ann_T uses

Gfweb,  I retired my camera over three years ago when I traded in my iphone, which I never used for photos,  for a Samsung.  Galaxy S5.   It is almost four years old and I have been debating trading it in for a new model, but I love the camera on this phone so I think I will keep it until it no longer works.   

At this time of year when it is dark and dreary, I take most of my photos in the same spot where I have an LED desk lamp set up.  Once we have more day light I will take photos outside again.   I have a piece of granite set up on our deck that I take photos of our Boards on and I take food photos there too. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

It's my lousy phone! No filter, my phones too old for that. Now I feel even worse! :$ - this was the best of six! 9_9

Sorry :wink:

We went to a local place that does seafood well. 

DSC04131.thumb.JPG.3c76f569e2d160f03b93548bd4f8d953.JPG

Fried clam bellies with tartar sauce and cocktail sauce

DSC04133.thumb.JPG.1c804a2f35068d8e08a459b23cd4813b.JPG

Iceberg wedge with blue cheese dressing

DSC04135.thumb.JPG.7f953c894e8c2bbb974ff289e3ec76e3.JPG

Steamed clams with garlic, white wine, lemon and parsley

DSC04137.thumb.JPG.92035bd712bfb1ef0ce56cde92acb024.JPG

Pappardelle with prawns and black truffle butter

Total bill came to $50 per person.

Woodhouse Fish Company

2073 Market Street (14th Street)

The Castro