• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

10 minutes ago, gfweb said:

@Anna N hoarding cheese is a virtue

Oh good.  I’m a bit short on the virtue side. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Waffles and bacon.  Was supposed to be more like breakfast.  But it was 6:30.  Whether another dinner happens is uncertain.  Bread is in progress, though with the temperatures my dough isn't doing much.  I just measured the dough temperature at 21 Celsius -- and that is only because the bowl is sitting on the stove with the oven running.  Yes, I did remember to add the yeast.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

5a4ef45835d75_WeinerSchnitzelwithPorkTenderloinJanuary4th2018.thumb.jpg.b9469d83d8c42e1b5d7bc0d18f39a5db.jpg

Decided I wanted Wiener Schnitzel made with pork tenderloin for dinner.

A work night, but dinner came together quickly.

Put the potatoes on to cook in the Cuisinart Steam oven on the Bake steam setting. And while the potatoes were baking, I pounded out the pork, breaded and fried in butter and olive oil.

Served with steamed green beans and butternut squash.

• Like 15

OK, second dinner.  Baguette, Pink Lady apple, cheeses, miscellaneous wines to clear out the refrigerator.  Temperature dropping, winds increasing.  No better morning to pop a bottle of Whistlepig single barrel, barrel strength.

• Like 9

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

SV'd ribeye, tots and salad

IMG_3960.jpg.dd4d1fbf0592dd36bed5406d1f1edf6e.jpg

I had some little pieces of pork belly frozen, so I thawed those out and did them in the Instant Pot for lo mein.  Eggrolls and sticky chicken thighs (couldn't find any wings in the freezer) to go with.

IMG_3961.jpg.6d2b54690521c2644d86b56c5c149fad.jpg

IMG_3962.JPG.c9245fbb99dedda937cf1b0e638d833e.JPG

• Like 14

@gfweb, thanks ! 

I have never considered that combination. Recently I came across "red eye gravy" in some other context and found it strangely appealing, so I guess I have to give coffee-based meat sauces a try ...

• Like 1

@Duvel This is indeed a cousin of red-eye gravy. The Chili and coffee go together well. I've thought of adding bittersweet chocolate which ought to play nicely with chili and coffee. Gotta do that. Bacon lardons have been tested and approved with the sauce as well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

@gfweb, thanks ! 

I have never considered that combination. Recently I came across "red eye gravy" in some other context and found it strangely appealing, so I guess I have to give coffee-based meat sauces a try ...

I should add that I brew it strong for this

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

@gfweb, thanks ! 

I have enjoyed a couple of dishes that involve coffee, chili and chocolate and found them very intriguing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

for dinner last night -

leftover oxtails - three pieces

two clementines

I would've eaten more but I fell asleep

B has just started his "diet of steam" so I will have to drastically reduce my cooking to accommodate his preferences as he attempts to lose 40+ lbs. Actually, what will happen is - I'll cook for myself and he'll limit his daily food intake to something south of 1,000 calories/day.

As for me, I really despise leftovers. I hadn't counted on eating the remaining oxtails by myself, and tossing them is wasteful. I'll take the rest and convert it to hash for Sunday morning breakfast.

• Like 2

Just now, ProfessionalHobbit said:

for dinner last night -

leftover oxtails - three pieces

two clementines

I would've eaten more but I fell asleep

B has just started his "diet of steam" so I will have to drastically reduce my cooking to accommodate his preferences as he attempts to lose 40+ lbs. Actually, what will happen is - I'll cook for myself and he'll limit his daily food intake to something south of 1,000 calories/day.

As for me, I really despise leftovers. I hadn't counted on eating the remaining oxtails by myself, and tossing them is wasteful. I'll take the rest and convert it to hash for Sunday morning breakfast.

tonight (Friday) - I'll finish the rest perhaps tonight but I doubt it. palate fatigue has set in at this point.
tomorrow is a full day of activities as we're headed to San Jose to watch the men's ice skating long program which will determine who gets to go to the Olympics in South Korea; Saturday dinner is TBD but it looks like it will be dinner out

any remaining oxtails will be for Sunday breakfast

to be continued...

• Like 1

It's the night before King's day ...

Tradionally (at least in the Catalan family of my wife) this means "pa amb tomaquet" (bread rubbed with tomato, olive oil and salt) and "embotits" (assorted cold cuts):

Aged Manchego.

"Butifarra negra" (blood sausage), "butifarra Blanca" (boiled sausage with tongue, skin, intestines), two types of "fuet" (a kind of salami).

"Truita" (potato omelette).

More "butifarra blanca" - quite peppery.

"Pa amb tomaquet".

"Bellota", sliced freshly from a ham.

"Bikinis" (grilled ham & cheese sandwiches) for the kids.

Of course, around 22.30h, one of the kings arrived to distribute presents for the kids. And although I have not been always good in 2017 (:$), I got a little something.

(after that I snug into the guest kitchen, where the bellota was hiding and thanks to my willing and very professional helper I got some extra treats ...)

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

IMG_0369.JPG

IMG_0371.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

IMG_0432.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 25