• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Last night's dinner. A quick and easy pasta on a work night.

1694274770_PastawithBlackPepperandGarlicDecember27th2018.thumb.jpg.63f653b9e71a933988548e781cc8d641.jpg

Parmesan cream sauce with black pepper and garlic.

I like pepper so much that I've carried a pepper grinder in my purse for 25 years.

38724226_BreadandButterPuddingChristmasDessert2018.thumb.jpg.0cf4d80dee4aa3708ac91a9487276180.jpg

And for dessert, leftover from Christmas,  Bread and Butter pudding with caramel sauce. 

• Like 17

13 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Back home and have just poured myself a nice portion of Knob Creek to help my ailing body.  On day 8 of the flu...ache, chills, head ache and a bad cough....I learned today that a friend who has a post cancer tracheostomy was in the hospital for two nights with this....the blood work came back positive for influenza A.  He had a close call but thank God his daughters insisted he go to the hospital.  We have not eaten much like you.  Zero energy.  Lots of good stuff to eat, ashame really.  All I can say, there are better days ahead!

Mucinex saved my life last January when I had it.  Like others, I had a couple days that I thought I wasn't going to make it.  It was over 3 weeks before I felt like a human again.  I hope you feel better ASAP.

Chicken gizzards with gravy (and a bit of ketchup for me).  Leftover cheesy hash browns and salad to go with.

thumbnail_IMG_5734.jpg.7fbeed50b87dd0f71cada49e85dd0b95.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5735.jpg.dc3c5b44ecb1f4baeee1139a7baa78b8.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5736.jpg.de7913d41661e5ddf15d17687442b1cc.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5737.jpg.288323b46c7f113d55baa6e6d046c9e9.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I like pepper so much that I've carried a pepper grinder in my purse for 25 years.

And I carry a little container of sea salt every where I go. Here's how that started: I saw fresh corn ice cream on a menu board at an artisan ice cream shop and ordered it at once, since corn is one my very favorite foods. Then I noticed an "extras" sign which included salt for 50 cents. Absurd! Just ten flakes would have been enough. So I vowed to plan ahead from that moment on.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Last night's dinner. A quick and easy pasta on a work night.

1694274770_PastawithBlackPepperandGarlicDecember27th2018.thumb.jpg.63f653b9e71a933988548e781cc8d641.jpg

Parmesan cream sauce with black pepper and garlic.

Some people favor a pepper spray...

But seriously I'm with you on the pepper.  I've heard people say pepper adds only heat, though I suspect they lack the ability to smell it.  My grinder stays close to the table however.

Lovely pasta by the way.

• Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Some people favor a pepper spray...

But seriously I'm with you on the pepper.  I've heard people say pepper adds only heat, though I suspect they lack the ability to smell it.  My grinder stays close to the table however.

Lovely pasta by the way.

We keep the pepper spray for the bears up here.

I don't cook with any kind of ground pepper as if Johnnybird eats any amount of the grindings he will be in gastric distress within about 2 hours.

Christmas Day was a Smithfield ham, soft green beans with sesame oil, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes with maple syrup and my New England baked beans.

John should be home later today and it will be leftovers - chicken paprikash, gf noodles for him, some broad egg noodles for me and some steamed broccoli.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Dinners in the dark. Had to do it once, camel burger. "Gamey" but not as strong as yak burger in Lhasa. Don't care for both. This restaurant is run by a cooking school. Employees are "millennials" and serving style is hipsterish.

Al7lvrw.jpg

All vegetables, plus some teeth-meltingly sweet things on the same plate.

69SR3sJ.jpg

Morocco's most typical soup.

gI8Xrga.jpg

cEaO70m.jpg

Pigeon pastilla ("pie") is a formal speciality of Fez which has to be ordered in advance. Chicken version is less formal and easier to find.

KbKMN49.jpg

cMOSEf2.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 10

Tonight’s dinner was a repeat of this But made as it should be with Napa cabbage and thinly sliced pork belly. 

I was drawn to the dish not only by its name but also by its construction and I thought I would just show you a couple of photographs of the meal prep. 

9746CBE7-8643-4601-8C9B-7558F416AB81.thumb.jpeg.22cb361e318ae616a1a8234219f04974.jpeg

The thinly sliced pork is layered between leaves of Napa cabbage.  The stacks are then cut into pieces appropriate for the depth of the dish in which you will cook the pork and cabbage.

79ED80B8-8349-4916-8F48-7CDA3A15E98C.thumb.jpeg.a98109ccd24228132e57fcaa3164f64a.jpeg

These pieces are then packed fairly tightly, cut sides up, into the cooking dish.   The end result is a cabbage and pork rose.  

C94470A7-9F61-43F2-97C7-62F584F6A678.thumb.jpeg.2f2f1c09f27a3a5800603895d6158eb1.jpeg

Pork and cabbage donabe with a ponzu  and shichimi togarashi dipping sauce,  salad of grape tomatoes, baby cucumber, kewpie mayonnaise and aornori; mustard pickled cucumber and icy cold sake.  And in the Japanese tradition I saved the cooking liquid from the pork dish and it will become part of breakfast tomorrow as I make Japanese porridge.  

• Like 12
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

Chicken gizzards with gravy (and a bit of ketchup for me).  

@Shelby, I confess to never having used chicken gizzards for anything, but gravy in the past. I have my doubts about how receptive Deb will be to them, but I intend to give them a try as a fried food, based on your efforts.

HC

9 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

what sort of cooking liquid do you start with ?

and how then do  you  cook the ' pot ?'

Rather than take the dinner thread too much off topic I’m just going to give you a link to a very similar recipe.  Here.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Tonight is planned for pizza.  Mushroom pizza for a change.  Last night was faux chicken cacciatore, faux in that the chicken was steam baked in the CSO, sautéed mushrooms then added.

Before that I'd finished up a serious creuset of black beans, beef chuck, sausage, and red wine.  A favorite dish I do about once a year.  Recent dinners include:

Black beans with stale bread.

Black beans with baked potato.

Black beans with rice.

Black beans with baked potato.  (Some days I lack inspiration.)

Black beans with polenta.

Black beans with fresh bread.

Black beans with stale bread.

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, suzilightning said:

We keep the pepper spray for the bears up here.

I don't cook with any kind of ground pepper as if Johnnybird eats any amount of the grindings he will be in gastric distress within about 2 hours.

Christmas Day was a Smithfield ham, soft green beans with sesame oil, mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes with maple syrup and my New England baked beans.

John should be home later today and it will be leftovers - chicken paprikash, gf noodles for him, some broad egg noodles for me and some steamed broccoli.

I don't cook with pepper either, if not for the same reasons.  I don't feel that cooking does any favors for it's flavor.  But if I do cook with pepper it is freshly ground white pepper.  With maybe a pinch of nutmeg added.

Tonight, seeing we are both still off our game from Xmas Influenza, will be DH’s go to dish...macaroni tossed with grated cheddar, topped with baked beans and a fried egg😢.  This he makes whenever I ‘let’ him ‘cook’. 😎

He lost five pounds with the flu so whatever he wants.......just poured another Knobb Creek....damn flu is hanging on.

• Sad 6

Coldest day of the year. 2ºC right now, so what else than Mince 'n Tatties? But with a twist.

mince.thumb.jpg.d54f832312da784a1862d0ad869b0b64.jpg

The meat isn't the usual beef, but goat. I've long considered goat to be a cross between beef and sheep, at least in taste. What those animals do in their spare time for fun is none of my business.

Oh! And there was some buttery, bacon-y cabbage on the side which escaped my camera.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Taquitos. But I couldn't find no corn tortilla anywhere. Ended up using wheat ones. Doe's it make them flautas? (I'm not sure).

Anyway, filled with black beans and cheeses, with coriander seeds and dried chilies, a few other spices too.

Guacamole and homemade pickles.

IMG_20181215_154025_1.jpg

IMG_20181215_154729.jpg

• Like 14

~ Shai N.

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Coldest day of the year. 2ºC right now, so what else than Mince 'n Tatties?

Brr, is that your high temp for the day? It's quite cold here for the next few days (cold for southern AZ, that is) with some freezes overnight but at least it warms up to 11 to 14C during the day. And we should be out of this cold spell toward the end of the week. But, in the meantime, my husband was thinking along the same lines as yourself and asked for Shepherd's Cottage Pie. 

IMG_20181228_193644.thumb.jpg.5b44cd1fb9bb7e90fb6f772aaa523664.jpg

IMG_20181228_194815.thumb.jpg.f7cd4819d7d006858eac2519fc038c82.jpg

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Yes. It is now 0ºC. This is only the second time in 23 years I've seen it this low. I'm having to remember cold weather foods!

We've seen you make some lovely soups though!  Stay warm, I think you said you have a space heater?  

• Thanks 1

Sigh. Mine was GOING to be turkey enchiladas to finish off the last of the turkey. BUT, grands are here, and we had unexpected company that stayed and stayed and stayed, and that meant we got to the trampoline park late, which meant we didn't get out of there until after six....

Which meant we had Steak and Shake.🤔

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:17 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I don't cook with pepper either, if not for the same reasons.  I don't feel that cooking does any favors for it's flavor.  But if I do cook with pepper it is freshly ground white pepper.  With maybe a pinch of nutmeg added.

Interesting … had a kinda heated discussion with a chef/instructor up in Hyde Park.  I grew up with white pepper in certain dishes.  When I asked him about white pepper he said he felt it tasted and smelled like wet socks.  Sorry but having grandparents from France there are certain times I was taught that it was traditional and for whatever reason I don't get that taste ...

Nutmeg belongs in most things that include eggs and just about anything with greens.  Not a lot......

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I saw a recipe on line today and decided to make it. It is Italian style chicken breasts with a cream sauce, parm cheese, sun dried tomatoes and spinach.  I added spaghetti and corn to try to round out the meal but in the end neither of us ate any of the corn. 

20181230_182406.jpg

20181230_182506.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 3