• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

@Duvel That lamb looks amazing.  Perfectly cooked.  

So many great Christmas Eve/Christmas Dinners.   

1542636850_TourtiereDecember24th2018.thumb.jpg.c34772fda0975c75df004e27dedf82ab.jpg

We had our traditional Christmas Eve Tourtiere for dinner last night.  

817062001_TourtiereDecember24th20181.thumb.jpg.f8e9fa5f8cc97f74cf8002cebac177b1.jpg

This is Moe's plate.  He had his with the Chile Sauce I made him earlier this week. 

I had gravy on mine.  

48272438_TourtierecrustDecember24th2018.thumb.jpg.ad6fda1de95ed0c60e1b53d010c95788.jpg

The all butter crust was so flaky.  

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Chipotle cheese ravioli covered with a shallot, sweet red pepper, huitlacoche lime-butter sauce finished with toasted pine nuts and cilantro.  Feliz Navidad!!1672640080_chipotleravioli.thumb.jpg.85b31256f27e4688124579f5e706f6da.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

We had the basic shrimp cocktail and salami/ cheeses/ olives as pre dinner nibbles.  It was my parents, my inlaws and my husband and I. So we didn’t want to overload on apps. 

Dinner’s main features were 4 marinated flank steaks along with sweet Italian sausage (as a large amuse Bouche?) from this tiny butcher in my area: https://greenvillagepacking.com/

This is the.. 4th year we’ve served this. 

My mom made creamed spinach and brought a shredded raw Brussels sprouts salad from Costco with all types of delicious things in the mix. 

I roasted halved baby red potatoes in olive oil, kosher salt and fresh pepper. Super easy. I also cooked about 24 ounces of baby Bella’s down until they released all their water, added about 3 tablespoons of butter and 1/3rd cup of Marsala wine until most of the liquid was evaporated. Again really easy but good. 

We have SO much meat left over. I need left over ideas! 

Happy holidays! 

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

My DH and I are visiting my brother.  My present to everyone was a bad cold.  Everyone is sick and not just a runny nose.  We are sleeping 12 hours a day, bad cough and fevers.  We were supposed to go out to a friend’s for a tapa style Christmas but we had to cancel that.  No one is hungry.  So we made some pizzas last night and about half of them are left.  There is so much food in the fridges!

• Sad 10

5 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

My DH and I are visiting my brother.  My present to everyone was a bad cold.  Everyone is sick and not just a runny nose.  We are sleeping 12 hours a day, bad cough and fevers.  We were supposed to go out to a friend’s for a tapa style Christmas but we had to cancel that.  No one is hungry.  So we made some pizzas last night and about half of them are left.  There is so much food in the fridges!

Rx- bourbon

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Sadly brother doesn’t have bourbon BUT his Scotch Whisky collection hit the spot...must be 40 bottles in the cabinet.....there is a Santa😍

Good Scotch cures a multitude of ills.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

This was  suppose to be Christmas Dinner but Moe was in the mood for another piece of Tourtiere.  

1897887951_ChateaubriandDecember26th2018.thumb.jpg.833c69ec520348b4b431adbf36d44421.jpg

So I made it tonight.  Boxing Day Dinner.  Chateaubriand for Two with a

1149017812_BurgundyWineSaucewithbraisedPearlOnionsDecember26th20181.thumb.jpg.a64004807bd8b2423fe66b301c4182b6.jpg

Burgundy wine sauce with braised pearl onions.

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 6

For my husband and his brothers I have assembled their traditional Xmas leftover sandwiches. Ham, Coleslaw, Hot Mustard and umm Potato Salad. 

20181227_180413.thumb.jpg.2d99cfed56f5eecb03360b6fc3507b6c.jpg

My preference is for a Northern hemisphere Xmas, so to ease my longing I whipped myself up some proper leftovers. 

20181226_193826.thumb.jpg.300bbe449850350f55e6221d743060e4.jpg

20181226_162331.thumb.jpg.3b85dd480c02fae2ec3c2285da47a875.jpg

Picked at / Fought over off of the kitchen side - Husband quickly converted to the Pommy way of thinking. Dunked in a mug of Bisto - Proper Xmas leftovers 😂

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

Had a good Christmas dinner out at my Sister's place in the North Carolina countryside. Nice visits with animals including my Sis's new mare, German Shepherd and lots and lots of cats. Great visits with my family too, but the boyfriend who deemed it necessary to roll his eyes when my niece, his then girlfriend, was going on about her beloved cats at Thanksgiving was noticeably missing. Told ya! 😉

The main event was a deep-fried turkey breast courtesy of eldest niece. SO GOOD!

I was asked to bring a salad and veg. Instacart let me down for the first time, and when I called Sis to let her know I might not be able to deliver on my obligation, she said not to worry my head, that they had SO much food there. Instacart did come through the next day, though, so all was well. They, however, delivered the asparagus in much less quantity and quality than I'd asked for, so offered Sis some beautiful broccoli they had brought, and that worked out well for Christmas. Turns out she even likes it cooked the same 4 minutes I fancy. My salad consisted of an entire head of the smallest red leaf lettuce I have seen in my life, stretched with iceberg, cucumber, Campari tomato, thawed green peas, grated carrot and beautiful fresh sliced radishes. We all prefer Romaine lettuce, but none was on offer from Food Lion though Instacart. On the side in separate containers (Sis despises eggs in any form) hard-boiled chopped egg, shredded sharp cheddar, and french fried onions of the commercial variety, but still craveable by all. I brought two dressings, but everyone but me used the bright orange sweet Kraft "French" dressing I remember Sis eating since she was a wee little thing.  Oh well, everyone seemed to enjoy the salad except for the nephew and he "does not eat vegetables" 9_9. Except french fries.

We also had good homemade whole wheat rolls from Sis, Stovetop stuffing, a little moister than I prefer and not crisp at all, exquisite real gravy that could not have derived from the deep-fried turkey breast, but kudos to whomever was responsible for collecting and saving the drippings from something else. I doused my turkey, stuffing and mashed skin-on red taters generously with this ambrosia. There was also homemade cranberry sauce, but only one niece seems to like it. I love cranberries, but this is too sweet for me, and I prefer it offset with orange. But that's a minor quibble with a PHENOMENAL dinner.

We get to dessert, and I knew there were several options, but Sis and I had discussed eldest niece's attempt at a turtle cheesecake. It was a major fail the first time due to a recipe that called for you to dump caramel onto your cheesecake crust. It even stuck to the parchment they'd placed in the springform pan and had to be "jackhammered" out. This first one had been committed to a church gathering but did not make it there, although it didn't go to waste, the parts that could be salvaged.

The second attemept is what we had a Christmas, and I was sent home with a generous wedge that will make two or three serving depending on how greedy I am at the time. I'm kind of a cheesecake purist, so eat the chocolate lacing, pecans and even the chocolate crust separately. But then you get down to just the cheesecake itself, which is just the kind I love. There was also a pie, and I don't know if I have spoken of my Sis's skill with a pie crust, but it is The best I have ever had anywhere. It speaks to my love of cheesecake that the pie remained in the pie safe and I did not even ask about the filling.

They also sent Chex Mix savory, which has somehow already disappeared O.o and sweet Chex mix called some cute name that involved mud with chocolate and peanut butter. They also sent chocolate chip cookies, Rice Krispy treats, and fudge. So I am really set for desserts for some time. I do not think I have had any fudge in 35 years or more. This is good.

So good to see the family and so generous of Sis to spend her time and gas coming so far to collect me and bring me back. I am so blessed!

Merry Christmas and Happy and Prosperous New Year to Eveyrone!

• Like 12

> ^ . . ^ <

17 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Wow! So pretty, and it's incredible you had leftover crab. I am a crab pig, but you certainly made the most of your bounty.

😁We normally wouldn't have any leftover crab, either but I made an extra leg and hoarded it --been wanting that ravioli for a long time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I got this the on the 18th.  John got it a few days later.  All social outings were either cancelled or re-scheduled.  We managed to open our gifts Christmas Eve with a modicum of enthusiasm.  We also managed to cook our Christmas capon, but ate none of it.   I had just enough energy to cook up the bones and bits and pieces for stock (thank you Instant Pot).   Yesterday we packed the capon up in dinner sized portions and stuck it in the freezer.  Here we are on the 27th still without much of an appetite, a hacking cough (but getting better) and not a whole lot of energy, but more than we had at the start.  Still sleeping 10 hours at night.  Hope you feel better quicker than we are.

• Sad 8

Rack of lamb with roasted Brussels sprouts.  I am so overwhelmed by my technique.  Trim the lamb, make sure to remove silver skin.  Pre salt the lamb.  Refrigerate while working.  Have DH who works from home remove it from the fridge for about an hour.  Steam at 140 in CSO for 30 minutes.  Sear in Darto pan in scmaltz.  Rest for a little bit.  Eat and enjoy.  And I have eGullet to thank for my cooking success!

F02465BB-2B39-4CC5-8D23-2FFA78EB7D37.thumb.jpeg.7d6dac0d077bd92e5a4790b8ba2f942a.jpeg

3B264C00-5C01-4617-B382-95473844D490.thumb.jpeg.f59c257170885de446a13c083788deda.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

Perfectly cooked lamb!  Worth all the hard work, no doubt.

My uncle came by today after returning from a few months in Italy.  He is the main one I attribute my love of food to.

He brought 4 fantastic Pecorino's - one 'un-aged', one 'partially aged' and 2 aged ones.  All excellent - I was partial to the Partially aged.  It reminded me of an unpasteurized french goat cheese (my fav).

I then made risotto with a combination of stocks (smoked turkey, wild mushroom, and chicken) and he ended it with a small jar of truffle and porcini puree which he brought back with him.

If you enjoy truffles, risotto is one of the best ways, IMO.

Enjoyed with a bottle of Williams Selyem Precious Mountain.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I got this the on the 18th.  John got it a few days later.  All social outings were either cancelled or re-scheduled.  We managed to open our gifts Christmas Eve with a modicum of enthusiasm.  We also managed to cook our Christmas capon, but ate none of it.   I had just enough energy to cook up the bones and bits and pieces for stock (thank you Instant Pot).   Yesterday we packed the capon up in dinner sized portions and stuck it in the freezer.  Here we are on the 27th still without much of an appetite, a hacking cough (but getting better) and not a whole lot of energy, but more than we had at the start.  Still sleeping 10 hours at night.  Hope you feel better quicker than we are.

Back home and have just poured myself a nice portion of Knob Creek to help my ailing body.  On day 8 of the flu...ache, chills, head ache and a bad cough....I learned today that a friend who has a post cancer tracheostomy was in the hospital for two nights with this....the blood work came back positive for influenza A.  He had a close call but thank God his daughters insisted he go to the hospital.  We have not eaten much like you.  Zero energy.  Lots of good stuff to eat, ashame really.  All I can say, there are better days ahead!

• Like 2
  • Sad 8

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Back home and have just poured myself a nice portion of Knob Creek to help my ailing body.  On day 8 of the flu...ache, chills, head ache and a bad cough....I learned today that a friend who has a post cancer tracheostomy was in the hospital for two nights with this....the blood work came back positive for influenza A.  He had a close call but thank God his daughters insisted he go to the hospital.  We have not eaten much like you.  Zero energy.  Lots of good stuff to eat, ashame really.  All I can say, there are better days ahead!

I’ve had influenza twice. Both times away from home in a  hotel. Thought I was gonna die.  Rx ...Knob Creek and  alleve.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 2