• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

4 hours ago, Ann_T said:

@liamsaunt, your batter looks so light and crispy.  Would you please share your recipe.

Sure.  It's one cup cornstarch, 3/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup EverCrisp breader and batter boost from modernist pantry (I think I read about this ingredient on here somewhere), 1 egg, 1 tsp. salt, and 12 ounces lager.  I usually stick the batter in the fridge for an hour or so before using.  It's very thin--thinner than pancake batter, and cooks up very light and crispy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

Did a stir-fry for dinner with shrimp, snow peas, mushrooms and cellophane noodles.

I need to get some of those mung bean starch noodles into the pantry again. Love the texture. Barbara Tropp advocated pre-seasoning them in her China Moon book. I just love the way they sop up flavor but stay chewy.

• Like 1

Had this whole plan to show the evolution of our leftovers. We had Mexican Pot Roast with beans and tortillas a few nights ago, I shared that photo. Then we had some of that chuck roast with mashed potatoes and lovely steamed veggies another night. I was sure I took photos of that meal, but it turned out I didn't have the memory card in the SLR camera. You would think I might have noticed while I was supposedly snapping away, but NO, not me!   🙂

Anyway, the third iteration is Tamale Pie, using the bean mixture, adding a bit of corn and fresh sweet/hot peppers and topping with cornbread. That was tonight's dinner and enough left over for lunch or even tomorrow's dinner.

I know all the corn in this post will horrify @liuzhou, for which I will not apologize.   🙂

And I put some sugar in my cornbread, but not a lot. I know some folks think that is pretty disgusting. 😈

Tamale pie has to have olives, says my husband, who loves the real tamales that contain an olive 'surprise'. 

IMG_20181218_182603.thumb.jpg.dddae9746b298fd26cdee4c2bc77e034.jpg

IMGP6729.thumb.JPG.ef23ac88c45b02731f92700626702bc8.JPG

IMGP6733.thumb.JPG.09aadfca6b6bb9331a2c61c83bfc3c05.JPG

• Like 12

1 minute ago, FauxPas said:

I know all the corn in this post will horrify @liuzhou, for which I will not apologize  🙂

Shudder. 😢

• Haha 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Hot wings and a pasta salad.

IMG_3219.thumb.JPG.e1ee5dd5d9098703eb7013a63c77c3b4.JPGIMG_3218.thumb.JPG.dc912191f128e4018d24673dea3ba826.JPG

We try to attend the 3 times a year antique show / flea market in Brimfield, MA every year. One year we had a very disappointing (and expensive) BBQ chicken at the food court there. I was inspired to plan a tailgate picnic lunch the following year, and we have done so ever since. I developed this pasta salad, based on a bruschetta made in the movie Julie and Julia, for that first tailgate picnic. We both greatly enjoyed it and it is now referred to as Brimfield Pasta Salad.

HC 

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 10

On 12/18/2018 at 1:09 PM, rotuts said:

@Ann_T

love your Turkey , Gravy , Peas !

I eat a lot of similar , w SV TB's , canned ' Diner ' peas  

and gravy I make myself , from iPot Turkey Carcass  w and assist from Soup Base . com

https://www.soupbase.com/RC-Turkey-Base-Low-Sodium-no-added-MSG/productinfo/CLSTB/

cheers !

I like the low sodium level of your recommendation.  I have been using More Than Gourmet Roasted Turkey Stock  (https://www.amazon.com/More-Than-Gourmet-Volaille-16-Ounce/dp/B0010OOLFU  .

The More Than Gourmet tastes great but is 330 mg sodium per 210 ml of stock.

@Edward Dekker

nice to hear about alternatives

I prefer the lower sodium from SoupBase

as i then add more paste to get a sodium lever I can accept

I do add to the final stock/gravy

now iPot turkey stock

and Bells seasoning etc

I wont mind even less sodium , but then

as a commercial item

no one would buy it 

as we all are conditioned to very high levels of sodium in all the commercial items be why

Edited by rotuts (log)

A few ounces of Faella pasta in the bottom of a bag (yeah, the $8/pound stuff @rotuts; you wouldn't want me using cheap pasta with @rancho_gordo 's beans, would you?) A half-bag of @rancho_gordo's Alubia Blanca beans, first pre-cooked and then cooked with tomatoes and a few rinds of parmesan ( also yes, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, bay, blah, blah); lots more grated parm and fresh black pepper atop.

46337140322_a60e9d630c_z.jpg

Led to a most lovely pasta e fagioli. One of the greater comfort foods. 

Some sautéed greens on the side. A nice, not crazy fruit bomb California pinot noir, from Porter Creek, to drink.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 20
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

12 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Edward Dekker

nice to hear about alternatives

I prefer the lower sodium from SoupBase

as i then add more paste to get a sodium lever I can accept

I do add to the final stock/gravy

now iPot turkey stock

and Bells seasoning etc

I wont mind even less sodium , but then

as a commercial item

no one would buy it 

as we all are conditioned to very high levels of sodium in all the commercial items be why

The best Poultry stock I made was the stock from the bones in a Turducken.   Turkey, Duck and Chicken bones browned in the oven and simmered for 12 hours with  celery, onion, bell pepper and spices.  The entire house would smell wonderful.     It would be reliably great every time.   (This was before I started making stock in a Pressure cooker.)  

The stock would make great stuffing and gravy for the Turducken.

I wonder if adding Duck stock concentrate,  Duck fat,  Chicken stock base,  and Chicken fat would work to improve turkey gravy. 

I have been on a low sodium diet for long enough that many common foods I used to like,  now taste like a salt lick to me.  

• Like 1

I was remembering when I first started cooking and learned the hard way that you can't cook a brisket like a rib roast. Thank goodness they were cheap cuts back then. Then I discovered braising brisket with beer and how that was almost as good as the kind mom made when I was little and she would put one on low in a covered skillet in the morning before church and how good it was by dinner time. I don't think slow cookers were on the market by then.  Anyway, I got the slow cooker from the basement and a bottle of beer and cooked it with a package of dry Lipton onion soup.  We liked it but mom still made them better.

20181220_175149.jpg

20181220_175429.jpg

• Like 12

I don't often go for prepared foods for dinner but today was different.  To start with I was ripped untimely from my down-blessed bed.  Then having dined at an unexpected hour I was feeling queer.  Most likely due to a week of Rancho Gordo midnight beans.

Anyhow for something light tonight I fried up a Whole Foods crab cake, on sale.  The cake was beautiful.  Obviously quality ingredients.  Large pieces of lovely crabmeat lightly bound with...salt.  Otherwise perfect, not a trace of shell.  But I couldn't eat it.  What were they thinking?

Dessert was McConnell's Turkish Coffee ice cream.  Like the Whole Foods crab cake so promising but inclusions of little bits of beans (not Rancho Gordo) ruined it for me.

• Sad 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, liuzhou said:

With?

Oops ha ha. 

With Tunisian style vegetable stew. This is the most common preparation for couscous in Israel. 

The stew consists of squashes (butter and zucchini here), chickpeas, onion, potatoes, cabbage is optional. I also add sweet potatoes. When one is not vegetarian, some chicken is a welcomed addition. 

Spices are mainly paprika, chili, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, pepper and herbs. 

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.