• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

6 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Interesting....my great grandmother's cook book  that she wrote out for my grandmother calls for thinly sliced round steak pounded with some flour then cooked in fat.  Add a cup of water and a small can of tomato, salt and pepper.  Cover and cook slowly for 1 1,2 - 2 hours.

That sounds like what I would call Swiss Steak.  Funny how families and regions call things so many different names.

Last night was breakfast for dinner:

DSCN8905.JPG.239980f129e3c23649f58fbdb64afa37.JPG

Eggs on toast, Benton bacon and sage sausage.  

• Like 14

C94E0AEF-C514-481E-B2FA-954C36858823.thumb.jpeg.77da7be46d7d612d291457b91af7bbb4.jpeg

Sous Vide Lamb Loin Chops (finished under the broiler - it is raining buckets, so no grill tonight) topped with Chimichurri, Fried Savory Polenta with Sautéed Shiitake and Baby Bella Mushrooms and a small Arugula and Red Onion Salad with Garlic Vinaigrette and Cotija Cheese

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

Have several friends under the weather and soup was on order to make them better.
Today was SOUP...er day!

Hot and Sour Soup and Wonton Soup - went out to 2 households.

80521697_SoupsforSickFriend7919.jpg.de81a63a6f444d0c689980dc7413dcd8.jpg

We had the Hot'n'Sour for lunch so needed something else for supper. We had baked home and scalloped potatoes a few days ago. Finally got around to simmering the big ham bone. Threw stuff together and we had Boston Clam Chowder with chunks of multigrain baguette for our supper.

1894549902_ClamChowder7922.jpg.a1ddb114ace080ad8f0a9ab036fd695f.jpg

I always put Char Siu (Chinese BBQ pork) in my wonton soups and Hot'n'Sour soup, so prepared by marinating some ribs and pork rib chops and roasted them in the oven.

Had the ribs, gai lan, rice and a few slices of braised beef tendon (from a trip to the BBQ house in the city)for supper last night.

1950998877_RibsTendons7904.jpg.5563bc7b579a088dc6ef29597e5672ce.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 19
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

51 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Have several friends under the weather and soup was on order to make them better.
Today was SOUP...er day!

Hot and Sour Soup and Wonton Soup - went out to 2 households.

80521697_SoupsforSickFriend7919.jpg.de81a63a6f444d0c689980dc7413dcd8.jpg

We had the Hot'n'Sour for lunch so needed something else for supper. We had baked home and scalloped potatoes a few days ago. Finally got around to simmering the big ham bone. Threw stuff together and we had Boston Clam Chowder with chunks of multigrain baguette for our supper.

1894549902_ClamChowder7922.jpg.a1ddb114ace080ad8f0a9ab036fd695f.jpg

I always put Char Siu (Chinese BBQ pork) in my wonton soups and Hot'n'Sour soup, so prepared by marinating some ribs and pork rib chops and roasted them in the oven.

Had the ribs, gai lan, rice and a few slices of braised beef tendon (from a trip to the BBQ house in the city)for supper last night.

1950998877_RibsTendons7904.jpg.5563bc7b579a088dc6ef29597e5672ce.jpg

Oh well I would brave your cold to settle into enjoying your food. So so appealing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Before you accuse me of name-dropping, please hear me out. I don’t know anyone famous; I am not friends with anyone powerful; have no connections with anyone wealthy. I just have this bad habit of habitually running into interesting or strange people serendipitously.

I was still in college, a friend had a family emergency and couldn’t attend a fancy high profile golf outing which he paid over $1,000 for. He gave me the invitation. There were many recognizable faces at the outing. In my foursome, there was Bryant Gumbel, and a famous baseball legend. I had no idea who he was, because I was not a baseball fan.

At dinner time, Prescott Bush, father of then president George HW Bush, was the keynote speaker. Just as he was wrapping up his speech, someone went to the salad table and collected a large plate full of broccoli and handed it to Bush at the podium, “Mr. Bush, I hope you don’t hate broccoli like President Bush.”

Prescott put one tiny piece of broccoli in his mouth, made a strange shriek and threw the whole plate down into a trash can nearby. That cracked everyone up.

I often tried to play with ideas to create broccoli recipes for broccoli haters.

On this sad occasion of our beloved president George HW Bush’s passing , I made this bacon flavored broccoli with SV hanger steak dish to honor him and thank him for his contributions to the world.

RIP, President Bush.

dcarch

875876737_BROCCOLIHANGERSTEK2.thumb.jpg.af04e36f8eaeacca1ada54ed5257eae3.jpg1695569996_BROCCOLIHANGERSTEAK.thumb.JPG.614dc381b7586aacadaa89e793423201.JPG

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 17

12 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

That sounds like what I would call Swiss Steak.  Funny how families and regions call things so many different names.

That's what I know as Swiss steak as well, though there's a sharp division among those who make it with gravy and those who make it with a tomato-based sauce. I was raised with the tomato version, but I'm broad-minded enough to appreciate either.

Dr. Salisbury was a 19th-century physician and crank, who theorized that the widespread diarrhea he saw among Civil War troops could have been avoided by a diet of coffee and minced lean beef. He developed the ancestral version of the Atkins/paleo/keto diets, and "Salisbury steak" was one of the dishes he recommended. Because vegetables and starchy foods were full of toxins, doncha know.

• Like 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

22 hours ago, BonVivant said:

My dinner at home.

8GW1yXG.jpg

There's no plaice like home!

(...hangs head, slinks away...)

• Haha 7

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Another 45 minutes and there will be beef stew.  Think some of it will be for tomorrow.....more frozen to take up to Poughkeepsie for Christmas Eve.  With all the sadness going on right now I don't feel much like eating. 😢

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, shain said:

Potato latkes.

As every year, served with brown sugar and sour cream. No love for applesauce in my family.

IMG_20181208_150829.jpg

Definitielt not latkes but a twist I would try  https://www.seriouseats.com/sponsored/2018/12/chef-nyesha-arringtons-recipe-for-kimchi-potato-pancakes.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heidih said:

It’s a nice idea but quantities are pretty much out of the ballpark for many of us and reducing this recipe to a workable amount would not be the easiest thing.  But thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 12/7/2018 at 11:23 AM, HungryChris said:

I felt compelled to add mushrooms to the gravy. It seems, somehow incomplete without them, although I do not remember them in the gravy from either cafeteria.

HC

I do a passing decent Salisbury steak with essentially the same spices as meat loaf, sans ketchup and/or tomato sauce (garlic powder, onion powder, seasoned salt, pepper, Worcestershire, an egg and some bread crumbs), with caramelized onions. I caramelize the onions, take them up to a bowl, quickly brown the steaks in the same pan, take them out on top of the onions, make a dark roux, add steak and onions back in, and add beef broth to nearly cover. Then I simmer for a LONG time. I have been known to add mushrooms to this combo.

With plenteous mashed potatoes, and green peas. I will sometimes, for nostalgia's sake, add brown-n-serve rolls, but not often.

It's also good to do the meat "sloppy Joe style,"  i.e., scrambled/browned, for sandwiches.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 12/7/2018 at 6:16 PM, suzilightning said:

Interesting....my great grandmother's cook book  that she wrote out for my grandmother calls for thinly sliced round steak pounded with some flour then cooked in fat.  Add a cup of water and a small can of tomato, salt and pepper.  Cover and cook slowly for 1 1,2 - 2 hours.

That would be what we called Swiss steak.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

A new exploit tonight. Korean BBQ rotisserie duck. The real problem here is that the sauce that is brushed on the duck every 20 minutes prevents you from having the duck fat for use in the future, a real drawback. The duck was great, but we have to rethink the process.

HC

IMG_3093.thumb.JPG.df3b77aa0eea84f4b58fdf202fd17173.JPGIMG_3098.thumb.JPG.b183326b3e7efd6c6c244afae8690b2f.JPGIMG_3099.thumb.JPG.faf3597dd40f4eb486ade8c982e7cfb3.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 1

On 12/7/2018 at 1:33 PM, heidih said:

Well now I am confused (an increasingly common state). Is Salisbury steak ground beef or is it cube steak?

Salisbury steak is ground beef.

Swiss steak is tenderized round or something similar.

But both are similar dishes.

• Like 4