• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

@IowaDee,  Knowing the wonderful meals that await him, he probably healed at warp speed.  So glad your story had a happy ending and I look forward to reading about many more amazing meals.  There hasn't been a breakfast you have posted that hadn't made my mouth water!

@JoNorvelleWalker, Best wishes for a full recovery.

@kayb, Glad to hear he is recovering. I feel certain several loaves of fresh bread will help immensely! 

In all seriousness, so glad you took him to ER and that medical intervention was so prompt! Best wishes for continued, and speedy, recovery.

@Shelby Oh @Ann_T I'm so glad he's home and recovering.  Your cooking will get him back up and going in no time!

@suzilightning Oh @Ann_T good for you for being the strong spouse and INSISTING it be checked out.  I have a good friend the same thing happened to and he was in the hospital but it wasn't until his girlfriend(who works in the field) pitched a GIANT fit that it got diagnosed.  It is so heart stopping when life happens....

@Kim Shook, @Ann_T - I'm so glad that you have Moe home now and that he is doing better.  I'm sure that it will have to be watched, but I'm so glad that it was caught when it was.  Please know you are both in my thoughts (actually, you all are already in my thoughts - I talk about your bread and Moe's breakfasts a LOT😊).

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and best wishes.   Moe is feeling not to bad.  Just tired and his appetite is improving.  Just not as very hungry.  

I was out of bread so I made two batches.  My baguette dough that went into the fridge for a longer fermentation and

1445444353_HomestyleWhiteBreadDecember2nd2018.thumb.jpg.a84d7e172c4a184a6b5ff0c41593839c.jpg

a home style white bread dough that I baked the same day. 

225907245_HomestyleWhiteBreadDecember2nd20182.thumb.jpg.92d7460f8e7c83fd30f800d6c72a58f7.jpg

Wanted some sandwich bread to go with the turkey breast I was roasting for dinner.  

1581454343_HotTurkeySandwichDecember2nd2018.thumb.jpg.176fb698037666cbf516117d7901b6c4.jpg

For hot turkey sandwiches.   Comfort food. 

More soup on Monday night and last night I tempted his taste buds with one his favourite meats, 

2120403479_RackofLambwithPappardellewithAsparagusDecember4th2018.thumb.jpg.9612ba3eda75aca714857d51cf3a2ac5.jpg

Grilled rack of lamb.   Served with pasta - Pappardelle with asparagus. 

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

3 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

@IowaDee,  Knowing the wonderful meals that await him, he probably healed at warp speed.  So glad your story had a happy ending and I look forward to reading about many more amazing meals.  There hasn't been a breakfast you have posted that hadn't made my mouth water!

@kayb, Glad to hear he is recovering. I feel certain several loaves of fresh bread will help immensely! 

In all seriousness, so glad you took him to ER and that medical intervention was so prompt! Best wishes for continued, and speedy, recovery.

@Shelby Oh @Ann_T I'm so glad he's home and recovering.  Your cooking will get him back up and going in no time!

@suzilightning Oh @Ann_T good for you for being the strong spouse and INSISTING it be checked out.  I have a good friend the same thing happened to and he was in the hospital but it wasn't until his girlfriend(who works in the field) pitched a GIANT fit that it got diagnosed.  It is so heart stopping when life happens....

@Kim Shook, @Ann_T - I'm so glad that you have Moe home now and that he is doing better.  I'm sure that it will have to be watched, but I'm so glad that it was caught when it was.  Please know you are both in my thoughts (actually, you all are already in my thoughts - I talk about your bread and Moe's breakfasts a LOT😊).

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and best wishes.   Moe is feeling not to bad.  Just tired and his appetite is improving.  Just not as very hungry.  

I was out of bread so I made two batches.  My baguette dough that went into the fridge for a longer fermentation and

1445444353_HomestyleWhiteBreadDecember2nd2018.thumb.jpg.a84d7e172c4a184a6b5ff0c41593839c.jpg

225907245_HomestyleWhiteBreadDecember2nd20182.thumb.jpg.92d7460f8e7c83fd30f800d6c72a58f7.jpg

Wanted some sandwich bread to go with the turkey breast I was roasting for dinner.  

Ohhh... for us it was Portuguese sweet bread for those turkey sandwiches with the miracle whip and cranberry sauce later....

Last night I had some bison leftover so made a few sweet and sour meatballs with some jasmine rice.  Some steamed broccoli.

Also baked off some beans but not sure how I am going to use them.  Aunt Edie would have taken brown bread and made a sandwich with them....I just don't get the whole carb on carb thing.

• Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

@Ann_T I am glad Moe is recovering well. Your delicious food will help I am sure! 

Dinner tonight.  Spiced tuna sashimi

F2F47DB6-DC77-4765-A8A8-5E5BCA579E76.thumb.jpeg.34735443103b90d8a5bb530fa8429fbd.jpeg

rice bowl with shrimp

CD75D335-897E-428E-83AA-2C765467C3A5.thumb.jpeg.86b764bcc769220737ea6bf491581c27.jpeg

Legal Seafoods Terminal E Logan. Off to London for a long weekend. My husband goes regularly for work but never has time for sightseeing so I’m heading over with him before all the work stuff to see the sights.   I’m not bringing my DSLR but if I manage to take any decent dinner shots with my phone I will post them. 

• Like 15

6 hours ago, Ann_T said:

1581454343_HotTurkeySandwichDecember2nd2018.thumb.jpg.176fb698037666cbf516117d7901b6c4.jpg

For hot turkey sandwiches.   Comfort food. 

More soup on Monday night and last night I tempted his taste buds with one his favourite meats, 

2120403479_RackofLambwithPappardellewithAsparagusDecember4th2018.thumb.jpg.9612ba3eda75aca714857d51cf3a2ac5.jpg

Grilled rack of lamb.   Served with pasta - Pappardelle with asparagus. 

That ought to help cure about anybody of anything.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, robirdstx said:

1DAABFA2-5200-47A0-A49B-0FEAA9C78567.thumb.jpeg.c114d64d947f3bbb47ed81285033ee45.jpeg

Carnitas Soft Taco (with Salsa Verde, Onion, Cotija Cheese and Cilantro) and Cole Slaw

How do you make a soft tortilla?  Corn or flour?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

11 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How do you make a soft tortilla?  Corn or flour?

All tortillas are soft ;)   Those look like flour. That whole crispy taco thing is a North American thang. Don't get me started on cold shredded yellow cheese...

24 minutes ago, heidih said:

All tortillas are soft ;)   Those look like flour. That whole crispy taco thing is a North American thang. Don't get me started on cold shredded yellow cheese...

My corn tortillas are not crisp but they are not exactly soft.  I'd say more like flaccid.  I've never tried making flour tortillas.  I'd like to know how to make my tortillas either crispy or soft and pillowly like those from @robirdstx.

Well yes th corn o nes made with bmasa harina have more structure so not "pillowly" in any sense, The "puff" on pita I think. I am in tortilla land so buying a dozen for a dollar is my go-to!  I would start 3with our tortilla topic  

1 hour ago, heidih said:

Well yes th corn o nes made with bmasa harina have more structure so not "pillowly" in any sense, The "puff" on pita I think. I am in tortilla land so buying a dozen for a dollar is my go-to!  I would start 3with our tortilla topic  

Been through that topic several times, thanks!

OK well then maybe you could post your efforts and have people with success comment.  I am forever grateful for ChefCrash and baklava for example., This is still an interactive community not dominated by instagram and other promotion. 

Edited by heidih (log)

Haven't been cooking much recently. A combination of being busy, stress and apathy. Also, the few things I have cooked have been old stand-bys I have posted too many times already. Like this.

mince1.thumb.jpg.d024bbea62391c0d36c6466baa63cd6b.jpg

Comfort food maximus (with a couple of twists).

Good old mince and tatties, but laced with chilli and Vietnamese fish sauce. With boiled spuds for on-plate, fork mashing, the only truly civilised way to mash spuds. Green beans fried in bacon fat.

Dessert was beer and a Snickers bar.

mince2.thumb.jpg.9aac51c221b74e7272d4b9a8f8beae2e.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

7 hours ago, heidih said:

This is not necessarily accurate.

Crispy corn tortillas, typically rolled - are in fact native to Mexico.  Known often as taquitos dorados or flautas.  They are also, delicious!

Agreed on the yellow cheese hogwash!

46 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Dessert was beer and a Snickers bar.

Sometimes it’s whatever hits the spot.  There is some synergism going on. Snickers is not my favourite bar but while shopping yesterday I found some individual one-bite bars and stocked up.  No beer though. The beer in the fridge is barely drinkable (stocked for my adult kids  who don’t seem to notice how awful it is). 

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My GF keeps a few of those Snickers on hand with the snarky adjectives on them ("irritable," "whiny," "dramatic," etc) to give out to her daughters and friends as opportunity arises.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Snickers is not my favourite bar

Mine either, but it's the only type I can get here other than weird Chinese stuff.  I probably eat one a year.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, heidih said:

OK well then maybe you could post your efforts and have people with success comment.  I am forever grateful for ChefCrash and baklava for example., This is still an interactive community not dominated by instagram and other promotion. 

Of course I've posted my many efforts, this is eGullet after all.  One example here:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/61988-making-fresh-masa/?do=findComment&comment=2151597

Things improved after I got a good masa/water ratio from @Okanagancook and once I realized Polyscience bags were horrible for pressing.  (Stretch-tite works well.)

I confess I've not had tortillas for some while because I still can't cook them.  At best the texture is friable, neither soft nor crisp.  I have a lovely DeLonghi griddle that just does not get hot enough.  Then I burned and blackened them on the stovetop in a heavy copper pan -- ruining the stove, the pan, and the tortillas.  (Only later did I read in the stove instructions that copper was not to be used on the stovetop over high heat.)

And I never got any that looked remotely like the ones from @robirdstx ...that now I see were flour.

• Like 1

@JoNorvelleWalker  If you are after a good wheat flour tortilla recipe this is the one I use without problems.  Makes 2 doz 6 to 7 inch tortillas:

1 pound all purpose flour

2 oz solid vegetable shortening or better yet pork lard 😁

2 teaspoon salt

1 cup warm water

Put the flour in a bowl and rub in the fat using your fingers.  Dissolve the salt in the water and add it to the flour/fat mix.  Knead the dough for about 3 minutes then set aside, covered for at least two hours...not refrigerated.

Divide the dough into 24 roughly equal portions and form into balls.  Cover with a damp towel.

Heat your griddle/cast iron fry pan over medium high heat (same heat as for the corn tortillas).

Flour your counter top and roll out a tortilla to around 7 inches.  Place on the griddle and cook for 20 seconds  or until bubbles appear on the surface and the underside starts to brown slightly.  Turn the tortilla over and cook for about 10 seconds.  Don't over cook otherwise they will not be soft.  Place each finish tortilla in a towel to keep warm and prevent them drying out.

I will likely be making some tomorrow and will take a few pictures.

cheers

• Like 2