• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

I am on a mission to clear out the freezer in advance of Thanksgiving, so I have been pulling leftovers out and also using all of the odds&ends I had saved (for future lunches) to supplement. Friday was chicken chili with rice/beans. Saturday was riced cauliflower “fried rice” with some leftover quinoa mixed in, leftover grilled chicken diced up, the remnants of a bag of frozen edamame, and a few fresh carrots sliced into the mix for some color. Served with a couple squirts of sriracha.

• Like 7

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Dinner tonight was at the library.  Our annual food and wine fundraising event.  The highlight of my social season.  I did not go hungry.  Made it home with five large bags of food, including six duck breasts.  Plus four and a half bottles of wine and a bottle of milk.  Sad to see hotel pan after hotel pan of spice rubbed salmon being dumped.

During setup I expressed interest in the caterer's induction hotplate.  She said it was brand new, just took it from the box.  She asked if I knew why it was beeping?  I thought probably because there was no pot on it.  She said she took the pot off because of the beeping.  I looked at the pot and noted it appeared to be aluminum.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Dinner tonight was at the library.  Our annual food and wine fundraising event.  The highlight of my social season.  I did not go hungry.  Made it home with five large bags of food, including six duck breasts.  Plus four and a half bottles of wine and a bottle of milk.  Sad to see hotel pan after hotel pan of spice rubbed salmon being dumped.

During setup I expressed interest in the caterer's induction hotplate.  She said it was brand new, just took it from the box.  She asked if I knew why it was beeping?  I thought probably because there was no pot on it.  She said she took the pot off because of the beeping.  I looked at the pot and noted it appeared to be aluminum.

To bad you couldn't convince her it was no good so you could take it home too!

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

Ronnie shot some nice pintail ducks so I roasted them in the CSO.  Had that along with some rice pilaf.  Ignore the awful green stuff that was supposed to be asparagus.  I think the grocery store actually sold us small trees.

IMG_5424.JPG.05229ecefd76b8ecc4a5a2143a0c486e.JPG

IMG_5425.JPG.c1bbde7ad02ef81db2dff9fa2e1d2905.JPG

• Like 14

14 hours ago, gfweb said:

@HungryChris How's that differ from a chef's salad?

I think of a chef salad as one containing a wide range of items. The love salad was one of the favorite menu items of a  local restaurant, now closed, called Hughies.

HC

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/156030-dinner-2018-part-1/?page=141&tab=comments#comment-2163242

Edited by HungryChris (log)

Leftover @rancho_gordo yellow eye beans led to this...

44799357975_72afde1871.jpg

Penne e fagioli. Pasta e fagioli can be much more soupy; I like it this way.  Watch out, though - hot liquid will sometimes come squirting out of one of those quills.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

12 hours ago, Shelby said:

Ronnie shot some nice pintail ducks so I roasted them in the CSO.  Had that along with some rice pilaf.  Ignore the awful green stuff that was supposed to be asparagus.  I think the grocery store actually sold us small trees.

IMG_5424.JPG.05229ecefd76b8ecc4a5a2143a0c486e.JPG

IMG_5425.JPG.c1bbde7ad02ef81db2dff9fa2e1d2905.JPG

So are pintails incredibly small ducks or do you have some giant CSO that I've never seen?  Because I'm not sure that I could fit 2 Cornish hens in mine, much less THREE ducks!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Playing catch-up again with posts. SO many lovely meals! We've just had supper, but my mouth is salivating again!🤗

Some of our latest meals:

Meat loaf stuffed with cheese, carrot and turnip fries, green beans, and slaw  

207362606_MeatLoaf7415.jpg.0e5a63e43cf71465a1d3f38b777d277f.jpg

San Francisco Fish Stew base with lobster and pickerel

1798169513_SeafoodStewCrustyRoll7457.jpg.2d5f1d3265d650a7f12cf52da49ebbcb.jpg

Thai Style Low Carb Peanut Chicken, Zeroodle fried Rice, and baby bak choy

764647684_ThaiStyleLowCarbPeanutChicken7567.jpg.14132556b97d8cff70bd57d0db8fa367.jpg

• Like 14

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

When you harvest your own clams, one of the things you have to deal with is using them up while they are still fresh and, God forbid, not wasting a single one. In that light, it was clams again last night. Deb and I mowed through another dozen or so, with linguini.

I did not hear a single complaint.

HC

IMG_2626.thumb.JPG.d88a98d90b34205333990f3518c73b5a.JPGIMG_2620.thumb.JPG.2c8391fdf3ba5e65b7e5caf191b68e87.JPG

• Like 13