• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

Linguini with clam sauce tonight. I raked up these clams this morning. Chopping the garlic, parsley, basil and cilantro for the sauce with olive oil and white wine was a painful effort because  I had not raked clams in months and the muscles in my back let me know about it. The payoff was well worth it though!

HC

IMG_2592.thumb.JPG.ef68425f3bc0905865a3c051ff96fd30.JPGIMG_2589.thumb.JPG.f4a214cfff98ae125ce7abf7307f7411.JPG

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

That looks absolutely delicious and dreamy.  Exactly what I'd like to be eating tonight.  I really need to get out my pasta machine that I asked for and received about 6 years ago and have never used. 😏

@kayb - not sure if you mean green pea or split pea soup, but if you mean split pea here is a really good, easy and quick recipe that Mr. Kim made one time when I was not feeling well.  It made me happy and has been our go-to split pea soup since.  I'm sure that your Aldi ham will fit in just fine.

Took me awhile to get it out, but once I did I was hooked. Would get home from work and throw a batch together for dinner. Just gotta get over the hump!

• Like 1

Pressure Cooked Red Wine Braised Short Ribs with Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Thyme and Honey Carrots, and Red Wine Balsamic Reduction. 

I need to figure out how to get better lighting. I spend too much time, making too good of food, for such shitty photos, hahaha. 

6824E61D-3735-4E62-9601-7C7E37B5C49A.jpeg

Edited by Robenco15 (log)
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 2

Thanks, @Kim Shook. Filed.

I missed getting to Squatters while in StL, but did manage a couple of good dinners. Baked ravioli at Rigazzi's, which continues to be my favorite restaurant on The Hill, and a German sausage dinner at Schneithorst's the next night. Red cabbage was a bit too sweet, but the knackwurst was the best I've ever eaten.

Tonight, comfort food, and the makings of sandwiches for the next couple of days. Meat loaf is about 1/2 inch thick for maximum glazed crust. A slab is going on fresh bread with Tallegio cheese tomorrow for breakfast. Maybe another for lunch.

20181101_173441.thumb.jpg.176b97a748ea8a1dea304ab3d7671b8d.jpg

Obligatory green peas andashed potatoes to accompany. 

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

For the last 2 months, running the St Cuthberts feast kitchen at the Northern California Renaissance Faire on the weekends (a six hour drive each way) and still dealing with things associated with my dying FIL, I haven't had the time to cook real dinners. Last night was a real pleasure. Cooking SVed pork loin steaks, kassespatzle using Jarlsberg and steamed broccoli florets made me a happy man.

• Like 8

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

@Porthos - You are dealing with a LOT.  I can't even imagine how comforting it was to cook that lovely sounding meal!  You're in my thoughts, my friend.

Quick Halloween dinner once the Trick or Treater's were gone - grilled cheese with Dijon, American, Gouda and Mozzarella:

DSCN8766.JPG.20161fad4ee4736607e33730f4547476.JPG

Done with mayo instead of butter.  Really good.  And plain old Campbell’s tomato:

DSCN8767.thumb.JPG.866ade29f5bb268df569d5cfc8281e55.JPG

Last night was chicken and dumplings and broccoli slaw:

DSCN8769.JPG.2ec36cbf7afcbcfd64d0485d6233c9f6.JPG

DSCN8768.JPG.28466bea4dfb3b529b481281617418cb.JPG

The chicken and dumplings were really good and I’m not sure that I can recreate it exactly!  I used a bunch of stuff from the freezer (stock, chicken breasts, peas & carrots), made a roux – then made some more when it didn’t get as thick as I wanted it.  I used those frozen noodle-like dumplings.  I’ve never used that kind before, but we really liked them.  Maybe not quite as well as the fluffy ones.  Those I always make from whomp biscuits.  Hey, if it’s good enough for my grandmother, it’s good enough for me!

• Like 12

7E6C8561-7127-4CE9-AA3C-7951772227EF.thumb.jpeg.8c2b8c3448640d102caec20c131f7e79.jpeg

Was both lunch and dinner and served me well as both sustenance and entertainment.  Crispy chicken thighs over rice. Coleslaw, sautéed peppers and a rolled omelette  with nori. Bentos look so easy until you attempt to assemble and pack one.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

22 hours ago, shain said:

Makloubeh and eggplant salad with tahini and yogurt.

The makloubeh got quite stuck - I believe that I added too much liquid by mistake.

IMG_20181013_152017_1.thumb.jpg.6b88b3814f2e3223ef1f9f2ff1f1826f.jpgIMG_20181013_151343.thumb.jpg.1ed19eef9af0a2c7db367ee0366a71ca.jpg

Crispy rice from the bottom is a favorite as long as it's browned and not burnt.   "tahdig" as it's known in Persian cooking is also enjoyed in the middle east as well.   

• Like 2