• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

A clean out the fridge, kinda late lunch/early supper...

532106927_2018-10-2108831.thumb.JPG.e68c4279d423f417ef755796da78b678.JPG

Soba noodle salad, with roast duck, corn, peas, tomatoes, celery, carrots, sautéed spinach, avocado.  Dressed with a soy/ginger vinaigrette.

• Like 12

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

B0B6B7BB-016B-4E1F-84F2-0C38DAB191EA.thumb.jpeg.79e20ec6f9f245f3e1916d42cb186dcf.jpeg

Hambagu donburi.  Japanese-style  hamburger with onion and shiitake gravy over rice. Accompaniments are blanched snow peas and beni shoga. 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ham hocks are truly delicious especially if they have crackling as shown above.  Nigella has a nice recipe with the hock cooked perched on apples and onions.  I have made that recipe a few times...usually when the butcher has an irresistible hock in their display case.😋

• Like 2

Tentacle Spectacle, (not the musical)

Liuzhou posted chayote  in the amazing Chinese vegetable post "--Perhaps less well known is that the leaves and young shoots of the chayote vine are also edible and a popular vegetable in southern China. Often described as 龙须菜/龍須菜"

By coincidence, I harvested a bunch of chayote greens from my garden, and made some squids with them for dinner. Squid and veggie, both with tentacles.

519613763_squidchayotegreens2.thumb.jpg.3231aed8356ef596de082fcc92c7ba58.jpg1175466611_squidchayotegreens.thumb.JPG.56a2ce79254d827520f3f3e5a4cdc5ef.JPG 

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 17

Thursday is French food day away few thousand miles from Paris.

1- Starters

I skipped the salads as I have about had it with the veggies and moved to the first course:

- Breaded and deep fried Salmon thingy

D6lJjkQ.jpg

- Baby Crads

28KHlOv.jpg

- Mussels

y54m5Po.jpg

2- Main course

One roast beef hand carved which yours truly concentrated on. Sheer meat without any sides........ughh some veggies to oblige the wife....

UgeFUsQ.jpg

Tv5b1Kq.jpg

Dessert

Of course, the Tarte Tatin. However, does not look Tatinnish as no caramelizing on the Apples, But hey, Whose complaining...

3Yw2LAP.jpg

Libation

- Couple of bottles of Gavi di Gavi.....in fact three bottles

AcA49fH.jpg

And finally coffee and a smokey Shisha with Double Apple macerated tobacco to keep in harmony with the non Tarte Tatin.

4QPhT6q.jpg

Life is good.......when the wife says so......

Edited by Nicolai (log)
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

@Nicolai, you know how to pick your places to eat! Tell me about the herbs inside the circle of salmon "thingies" in the top photo. Is that basil? Is it fried basil? If not basil, what herb and how was it prepared?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

17 minutes ago, Smithy said:

@Nicolai, you know how to pick your places to eat! Tell me about the herbs inside the circle of salmon "thingies" in the top photo. Is that basil? Is it fried basil? If not basil, what herb and how was it prepared?

Hello Smithy

Yes. It is fried Basil and they were served with a Mayo dip which I did not try.

The filling was Lemon Zest and finely chopped Capers mixed with the Salmon.

It is one of their signature dishes. No herbs besides the Basil noticed. 

I guess the recipe avoided herbs and onions to concentrate on Basil and Capers/Lemon. I did not felt it needed the Mayo dip as the whole Basil and Salmon delivered a delicate taste for me.

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

Made breakfast for dinner the other night to leave for Mr. Kim, my mom and Jessica while I went to a meeting - sausage gravy and biscuits and fried apples:

DSCN8732.JPG.8b804dbefaba1e96b1d1cfa346ac7c78.JPG

Jessica made a salad:

DSCN8731.JPG.a1e9c67a8acfa28709ec9c907bb0951c.JPG

Last night was some more freezer clean out.  Mr. Kim gets these pre-formed raw burgers - he makes a bunch and uses them for work lunches all week.  I just don't care for the flavor or texture, but we need the space!  So burgers, fries (also frozen - those I like) and baked beans:

DSCN8733.JPG.f06a0e373987eb09a5fe1c3b14f2d48c.JPG

• Like 11

It's been a while since my trip to Georgia, and I started to feel the craving for some Georgian food. I choose to not yet make any dish that I had on the trip, rather opting to make dishes inspired by the cuisine. 

Celery, beans and peanuts salad, in a red-wine vinegar and olive oil dressing, garlic, coriander seeds, cilantro, parsley, mint, basil, chili.

A pan-fried quick bread with walnuts and spices (coriander, paprika, cumin, dill seeds, caraway), sour cream, cilantro, basil, dill.

A dish I made a few times before - a spread of grilled eggplants, toasted walnuts, coriander seeds, garlic, cilantro, carob syrup.

IMG_20181006_150655.jpg

IMG_20181006_151954.jpg

IMG_20181006_152446.jpg

IMG_20181006_152556.jpgIMG_20181006_151834.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 12

~ Shai N.

45 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@shain, could you please tell us more about that quick bread?

It's powder-risen, and uses eggs for structure. The crumb is therefore eggy and pancakey, but still feels mostly like bread in texture. I used quite a bit of spices and herbs here. Also forgot to mention the caramelized onions and celery.

The thick batter is poured into a buttered pan and fried and crisp.

I can share the recipe of you are interested. 

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 2

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, shain said:

It's powder-risen, and uses eggs for structure. The crumb is therefore eggy and pancakey, but still feels mostly like bread in texture. I used quite a bit of spices and herbs here. Also forgot to mention the caramelized onions and celery.

The thick batter is poured into a buttered pan and fried and crisp.

I can share the recipe of you are interested. 

Yes, please!

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 7:35 PM, MetsFan5 said:

Slow cooker Swedish meatballs (egg noddles not pictured):

9CF2EDFC-FE31-4EC4-9F70-69C5A6A4DF79.jpeg

I have the lingonberry sauce to go with those!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites