• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

@JoNorvelleWalker 

The dough itself is simple, almost lean 'NY-style' dough: 

a simple 70% hydration dough, 2% salt, 2% yeast with 50-50 mix of Costco's AP and Caputo brand chef flours. A bit of olive oil, bit of sugar, for browning in my oven based on trial/error. Mix in a mixer of your choice (I used my bread machine dough setting for small batches, KA stand mixer when I want to have pizza more than 2x a week, no difference).

After gluten is developed--about 20 minutes of mixing, retard in the fridge for around half to one full day.

When you are ready, punch them down, portion them into balls, and let it acclimatize to around room temp

Preheat your oven if needed. If you have access to a heat source that perpetually outputs high temp, you can skip this step.

(FYI--I have a cordierite stone in my oven and it preheats to 645 in around 45 minutes, so the following steps are based on that)

15 minutes into the preheat, I shape shape shape, turn turn turn, stretch stretch stretch,  then I wait for the oven to go up to temp.

When it's up to temp, I slather sauce, strew cheese mix, then pepperoni.

set timer, then plop into oven, run timer. watch closely if you have a glass window. if no window, turn every 30-45s or so.  you may need to turn the pizza multiple times if you have a tiny oven like I do to get even browning.

around the 4-5m mark, your pizza should be done. look for even browning of crust and spot browning/sheen of the cheese.

note on temperature: once that oven door is open, the temperature will drop. After a preheat to 645, my oven will hover around 610-640 with the turning etc. The average bake temp will be somewhere in the middle, say 625.

final note: trust your instincts and what you know about pizza, sure, each oven has different thermodynamics, but good pizza won't smell burnt (I made one too many burnt pizzas ha ha ha..)

Edited by iggiggiggy
note on temperatures (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Living lean:

Baked spud with spam and some grated cheese:

Spam on spud.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@iggiggiggy what type of oven that you can get to 645?

It's a natural gas whirpool oven, with a bottom drawer broiler, no top broiler. Top-of-the-line, if you look at the scale upside down.... 

However, I did use this setup shown by this user in the pizzamaking forum: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=52342.0

..which increased the IR measured stone temps from ~515F max, to a solid ~645F.   I don't think mine has gotten to 700F as he mentioned, I tried, and can only get it to 'hit' 700, but the temps will rapidly drop once doors to the concert hall opens..

• Like 4

Dinner was salmon on the grill with a sweet bourbon BBQ glaze and peaches grilled with honey, cinnamon and vanilla. It was supposed to be topped with melted strawberry jam but I didn't have any so I used melted ice cream. The smashed potatoes were a Jaques Pepin recipe. 

20181019_174310.jpg

• Like 10

10 hours ago, iggiggiggy said:

It's a natural gas whirpool oven, with a bottom drawer broiler, no top broiler. Top-of-the-line, if you look at the scale upside down.... 

However, I did use this setup shown by this user in the pizzamaking forum: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=52342.0

..which increased the IR measured stone temps from ~515F max, to a solid ~645F.   I don't think mine has gotten to 700F as he mentioned, I tried, and can only get it to 'hit' 700, but the temps will rapidly drop once doors to the concert hall opens..

You might fry your electronics....

• Like 1

Finally got around to cooking up some of the ikan bilis aka dried anchovy our friends brought back from Malaysia. Someone else has always cooked them for me, but I took the plunge today!

721162002_ikanbilisakadriedanchovy7198.jpg.38f0180a9f4f3d703345a1291c86ccbe.jpg
Cumin lamb, coconut rice, a bit of bak choy, and ikan bilis and peanuts in spicy sauce.

706101056_CuminLambikanbilisakadriedanchovy7194.jpg.47bc406e50ae155d27817398ebd06403.jpg

I was very happy with the results!

• Like 12

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Vegetarian burrito. Beans and soft tofu in smokey chipotle flavoured sauce with plenty of cumin and coriander seeds. Cheddar. Pico de gallo. Pickled chili peppers.

Served with sour cream.

Beans and corn salad, with chili peppers, onion, mayonnaise, chipotle, lime zest and juice.

IMG_20181001_153801.thumb.jpg.75c9da504eec63fb1b1d7adf2b7b8c3d.jpgIMG_20181001_154727.thumb.jpg.47f621fb3be47353f623a853c55544c1.jpgIMG_20181001_155815.thumb.jpg.9e748400745ee89f5d7fb60dc8bf16f4.jpg

• Like 11

~ Shai N.

窝窝头 wō wō tóu buns with a buttery, spicy, wild shrimp filling.

The shrimp were stir-fried in butter with a little olive oil, garlic, ginger, chilli and scallions. Finished with a little lemon juice.

Enough for eight as an amuse, four for a starter, or all eight a meal for me.

wwp.thumb.jpg.68938b783aaad2f33026e287a8b0138e.jpg

wwp2.thumb.jpg.050a2c47e227a4178b875b4be9adc31e.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

16 hours ago, gfweb said:

You might fry your electronics....

ruh roh. thank you! this got me checkin' 

Note, per the link I posted, I did NOT do any (dangerous) thermostat modification/etc. merely using the same amount of heat, and redirecting to a smaller space.

OK. Checked:

1. Most of the electronics is on the top by the clock. But, I recalled, Whirpool puts a piezo-ignitor on the side of the gas burner in the bottom broiler compartment. Took a flashlight to it--ok, it has proper ceramic fiber sheathing.

2. Then I checked the the bake compartment, which is a separated compartment separated from the burner and piezo ignitor. I undid the 'modification': removed the pizza stone, then the false ceiling (the stones).

3. I preheat using its normal operation. Within 20 minutes, I got a friendly beep that the temp is ready.

3.  IR measurements on the bake compartment: sides register at ~510 F. The top is ~510 , the bottom is ~765F which is wayy hotter than the stone temps I get.

So I think I should be OK (whew).

x-ing fingers.  

In the meantime, let me look for, and drool over dedicated pizza ovens... 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Only the marinated ones.  The kosher dills are just Mt. Olive.  The marinated cukes have vinegar, sugar, onions and pepper and here's the recipe for what I call "cheaters".  Thanks!

Thank you for the link!!

My kosher dills are Vlasic brand from Costco, placed a paltry #9 on SeriousEat's list (at least it made the list, which makes me happy.. for a bit)

Also, that's not 'cheating', it's employing a thoughtful shortcut :) :) 

Once, I attempted to chamber-marinade cukes with some rice vinegar, ginger, and garlic once to make a Japanese 'LA-Z style' tsukemono. Quite a hit, but missing the 'pickly' flavor. You've inspired me to try again, this time throw in some actual pickle brine hee hee hee

• Like 1

Pork tenderloin roulade with arancini and hot sprout slaw

021.thumb.jpg.ec539737a2f83083042e893d7e64a9f1.jpg

Kung Pao Shrimp

0211.thumb.jpg.eeecf03737954662f04531acfd86351b.jpg

Roast chicken with potatoes and tomatoes caramelized in chicken drippings

024.thumb.jpg.4c7dfbbcb70f19dc7a8ab1bd2715d32d.jpg

027.thumb.jpg.e39ff09cc75c3aa9d6d7389aeb9ea115.jpg

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 4
  • Confused 1