• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

19 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

*Astute observers will recall I actually have two Cuisinart Steam Ovens, but the second is in its box in the living room, with no place to put it.

You do do have a bathroom, do you not?

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

You do do have a bathroom, do you not?

Indeed.  Though as previously mentioned in past threads, if I plug in a cooking appliance into the socket in the bathroom the lights flicker.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Dinner tonight was supposed to have been Chicken with Fennel, Preserved Lemon, and Olives, a la @Wolfert.  For which I made a special trip to the store.  I forgot the olives.

Dinner was actually frozen ravioli and tomato sauce that I made up a couple of days ago.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

C57D27A4-7327-4FF1-B515-043274A7BFCB.thumb.jpeg.594379cbab937c1d752a46e0132dcc33.jpeg

Nikomi hamburg which has been unappetizingly translated as “stewed hamburger”. However, for someone who is not a fan of hamburgers but is a fan of Salisbury steak this is a tasty compromise.

There are probably as many versions as there are Japanese families. In this version ground pork and ground beef are combined with seasonings and binders, formed into oval patties, browned, and then finished  in a sweet and sour sauce.  Served with rice, steamed broccoli and tomatoes.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

dinneroh.thumb.jpg.29fb5e49fc6807db27bb1113d23bafcc.jpg

Chicken braised with single-headed garlic, chilli, green olives, lemon juice, coriander leaf/cilantro and apple wine - thickened with a little potato starch. Served with cordycep militaris mushrooms, asparagus and rice.

dinnercu.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

single-headed garlic

Love the single-headed garlic which you introduced me to. It is becoming more common now in our Asian stores and I have a few bulbs in the house.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Love the single-headed garlic which you introduced me to. It is becoming more common now in our Asian stores and I have a few bulbs in the house.

It's the only garlic  I use now.  I have more than a few bulbs.

I also recently found some fermented black single-headed garlic.

23 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I also recently found some fermented black single-headed garlic.

Now that I have not seen. But I can’t say that I was looking for it. Trips to the Asian store are infrequent and only rarely leave time for leisurely exploration. But I will be on the lookout for it on my next visit. 

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Now that I have not seen. But I can’t say that I was looking for it. Trips to the Asian store are infrequent and only rarely leave time for leisurely exploration. But I will be on the lookout for it on my next visit. 

It's rare here, too and all my stores are Asian! Only one place had it that I know of and they only had two packs, both of which I bought, of course.

• Thanks 1

Just now, TicTac said:

Single headed garlic?  Aka Young garlic??

Nope. I hope @liuzhou will chime in again and explain it. 

My 2004 eG Blog

27 minutes ago, Anna N said:

We've seen the single headed garlic for sure - noticed it again the other day when I was in the Asian store that is on my way home from the Mission. We could blacken it ourselves.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

We've seen the single headed garlic for sure - noticed it again the other day when I was in the Asian store that is on my way home from the Mission. We could blacken it ourselves.

Yes, I was with you couple of weeks ago and I picked up a tiny basket of it. 

My 2004 eG Blog

It was Canadian Thanksgiving today, so of course there was the obligatory turkey. Aside from the bird and the dressing, there were new baby potatoes from my garden, baked buttercup squash, fresh shell peas, steamed broccoli, cauliflower and asparagus, multi-color carrots from my garden, green and yellow string beans, baby turnips from my garden, brussels sprouts caramelized with onions and bacon, and lots of mixed greens from my garden (holiday meals at my place are always something of a "veggie-palooza"). Also I made pan rolls, Marian Burros' plum torte (because the plums are in season right now) and a blueberry cobbler.

No photos, because I didn't think of it until we'd finished filling our faces.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Pinto beans and hot Italian chicken sausage from Aldi. I loaded this pot up with fresh sage, thyme and rosemary. The beans were quite excellent, but the sausage was not a fave. I served this with small salads (that were never touched and were covered up and put right back in the fridge) and cheddar bay biscuits. As a little side note, that pot with the beans and sausage fit nicely into the Ipot, something I will not soon forget. This one was done with canned pinto beans, but once I get the flavors zeroed in, I will start with dried beans.

IMG_2251.JPG

IMG_2249.JPG

IMG_2253.JPG

Here is the dish from a recent trip to Italy, hat I was shooting for:

1651359768_image1(1).JPG.15789b27c0867b6fb2c39a239f5c65b4.JPG

This dish was so memorable, with crusty Tuscan bread, that I will try to recreate it quite a few more times,

although aside from the sausage, I was pretty happy with this effort.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1

On 10/7/2018 at 4:12 PM, Kim Shook said:

Starting my turkey gravy today for Thanksgiving (and a sooner than that turkey dinner - had to take a turkey out of the freezer to make room for all the soon to be goodies I'll be making for our church Holiday Market):

DSCN8660.JPG.2551e0cd951145bdc3838531f3f93627.JPG

Currently roasting turkey necks, onions, celery, carrots, tomato paste, Bell’s seasoning and sage.  When done roasting it will all go into slow cookers with chicken broth to make my stock.  We'll all wake up tomorrow morning craving a turkey dinner!

Wow Kim! That is going to make one awesome gravy. I do love a good gravy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Dinner tonight was supposed to have been Chicken with Fennel, Preserved Lemon, and Olives, a la @Wolfert.  For which I made a special trip to the store.  I got the olives.

Today's trip to the store was in what one might call Scotch mist, not the loveliest of weather.  And after baking two loaves of tonight's bread I had not the stamina for a Wolfert recipe.  Dinner was actually olives, bread, Ramapo tomatoes, provolone, Soave, salami, chocolate.

• Like 5